Using a Safe Seat 1 on an Airplane with an older child

U

Unregistered

My son is 29 months old, 28lbs and 33lbs. He just barely fits in her old Graco Safe Seat 1. The shell is almost exactly 1" above his head (give or take a tiny bit depending on how he stretches) so he fits in the seat but he doesn't look like he does by most people's definition. I would like to take this seat with us when we fly as it would be much easier than his convertible to lug around the airport but I'm worried that some flight attendant will tell us we can't use it and we'll be stuck with a 2 yo flying in a lab belt. I'm really, really afraid of this....the idea of her flying without his car seat scares me to death so I don't want to find out that he wont be able to use the SS1. I'd rather bring his huge Radian 65 than have that happen (even though I'm pretty sure he'd have to FF in that)

Has anyone ever been prevented from flying (domestically) with a carseat that fits when they have bought a seat for their child? I have the FAA advisory printed out for the flight but I can just see some flight personal saying that my son really doesn't fit in the seat so he can't use it.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If someone says he doesn't fit (and it's unlikely they will) just have the manual handy, show them the 1" rule and weight limits in the manual, and if they persist, ask them where it says in their manual that he cannot use the seat. Ask them to show you the manual. Be very polite. Ask as if it's for your reference. Bring out your printout and ask, "Can you explain why the FAA says this but your airline doesn't allow this?" Through it all be VERY polite and make it clear that you just want to make sure you understand why before you comply with their request. But, I think you'll be fine. :)

U

Unregistered

I can't figure out how to edit my post, but he's 29 months old, 28lbs and 33" tall

amyd

Honestly for a child almost 2.5, I'd bring the Radian & FF him. He'll be able to the tray as well which I would think would help in entertaining him on the plane. I can't imagine my 15 month old being content in an infant seat for a plane trip. What do you plan to use in a vehicle at your destination? I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with using the SS in a car that close to the limits. Is he 28lbs with a full stomach, full diaper, fully clothed, wearing shoes or 28lbs naked at the doctor's office?

U

unregistered

Honestly for a child almost 2.5, I'd bring the Radian & FF him. He'll be able to the tray as well which I would think would help in entertaining him on the plane. I can't imagine my 15 month old being content in an infant seat for a plane trip. What do you plan to use in a vehicle at your destination? I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with using the SS in a car that close to the limits. Is he 28lbs with a full stomach, full diaper, fully clothed, wearing shoes or 28lbs naked at the doctor's office?

We'll be using the safe seat we fly with at our desitination.

We're going to be in a full sized van. It's a rental so they have a full sized van reserved but we don't know anything about what specific year or model it is.

We'll be flying into Pheonix, AZ and will only be driving from the airport to the hotel which is about a 20min drive from the airport.

He weighed in at 28lbs at the doctor's office last week w/ summer clothes, a diaper (not soaked but not dry) & socks about an hour after a good sized lunch.

Jonah Baby

Personally, I think it is ridiculous to put a 2.5 year old in an infant bucket seat because you don't want extra weight to carry. In my opinion, since he is so close to the limit, you would actually be putting him closer to danger than one plane ride FF in a Radian would...or your back carrying the Radian through the airport. It's also ridiculous to think that a 2.5 year old would BEHAVE on a plane to begin with, but I do know it is necessary for your destination. Please just let him FF and use the tray. The more he is occupied, the more everyone else on that plane will like you.
I think the infant seat use would cause you so much more issue in the end!

What if you got into an accident, god forbid, in AZ while he was in an infant seat? No way, in my opinion, would that seat properly restrain a child of such size. It is not made for it, so don't use it to do so.

:twocents:

amyd

What if you got into an accident, god forbid, in AZ while he was in an infant seat? No way, in my opinion, would that seat properly restrain a child of such size. It is not made for it, so don't use it to do so.

He does fit in the seat just fine. He's within the weight limits so that's not a concern. He'll be safe in the seat. I just personally can't imagine *my* toddler being happy to sit in an infant bucket for a plane ride, especially since he's been in a convertible for almost a year now. If the OP's kiddo is okay to do that, it's safe to do so.

Maedze

This is not correct. The child fits in the seat per the OP's description. He is under the weight limit and has 1" of solid shell over his head. He fits, and the seat would protect him just fine in the event of an accident.

Midwife@heart

Personally, I think it is ridiculous to put a 2.5 year old in an infant bucket seat because you don't want extra weight to carry. In my opinion, since he is so close to the limit, you would actually be putting him closer to danger than one plane ride FF in a Radian would...or your back carrying the Radian through the airport. It's also ridiculous to think that a 2.5 year old would BEHAVE on a plane to begin with, but I do know it is necessary for your destination. Please just let him FF and use the tray. The more he is occupied, the more everyone else on that plane will like you.
I think the infant seat use would cause you so much more issue in the end!

What? He is still within the limits, so he is still safer rf.

OP, why don't you try him in the SS now at home. Drive around and see if he likes it. I personally would take his convertible which he can still rf in so he can be more comfortable.

Maedze

Incidentally, OP, I think taking his Radian, using it forward facing on the plane and rearfacing in the car, would make the most sense (and you're a lot less likely to get grief from uninformed attendants), but the SS1 would be safe if that's what you want.

Midwife@heart

Incidentally, OP, I think taking his Radian, using it forward facing on the plane and rearfacing in the car, would make the most sense (and you're a lot less likely to get grief from uninformed attendants), but the SS1 would be safe if that's what you want.

The Radian can't be used rf in the plane?

abigaylebelle

We always use the ss1 for flights for our son who is currently 27mos/25.5lbs/33". He still has a couple of inches over his head and no one ever asks about it. X rode in the seat from Portland, OR to Nairobi, Kenya in east africa with only one stop in amsterdam when he was 19mos and back at 20mos. He never complained about his seat and was quite content to play with his toys on his lap or read books with me. During meal times I took him out of the car seat and held him on my lap to eat. I don't see why a child who behaves himself in the car would react differently on the airplane. Plus the other person sitting in front of you will be grateful that they can still adjust their seatback. Riding in his infant carrier will be familiar and comfortable to him and as long as you bring some snacks and toys you'll have a great time. I would absolutely continue to use the infant carrier for plane trips until he has outgrown it because it really is that much lighter and more convenient.

kate4478

I definitely use it! It's soooo easy to use. We flew domestic in February with our SS1(see my siggy pic) and had no problems at all. We had a few FA ask to see if the seat was FAA approved, one tried to tell me I had to turn it around:rolleyes:, but that was all. I gave ours to my mom to use for my DN, but I might need to borrow it back for our trip next month. Otherwise we will bring our RA.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC