Which seat would you pick? Radian or RA50?

Which seat?

• Roundabout 50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Radian 65

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Radian XT

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Something else (suggest)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • clicky box

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Holly

I'm not sure what seat I want to buy next, for a while I was set on a Radian, then I found out about the RA50 and was set on that. Now I'm not sure what I want to get.

I have to have 3 seats across, I had planned to have the Radian in the middle with the FPSVD FFing behind the driver and the RA50 RF behind the passenger, but now I don't think that will fit.

Someone mentioned putting the Radian outboard and then the FPSVD FFing center, RA50 RFing outboard.
If that will work, that would be good, but I can't try out that scenario unless I go to the store to try it or if I can play with carseats with someone local who has a Britax seat.

I could probably have the Radian RF center with the other seats outboard, but I really don't want the RF baby in the center, it's easier to put the kid that can climb in by themselves there.

I haven't tried this yet, but I'm not worried about how it would fit. I could put 2 FF radians outboard and center, then the FPSVD RF outboard. But I couldn't tether the RF seat, is it that important?

The reason I had decided on the RA50 instead of the Radian is because I thought it might be more user friendly for others. I can install my Radian with no problems at all, but I know it would be tricky for dh, or my parents or my brother/sister in law etc. My kids usually go down to stay with Grandma or SIL for a weekend about every 6 weeks or so. It's ok for now because my girls both still fit in the Scenera and I have one and SIL does too, but I know the day will come when they will outgrow those and I thought the Britax type seats would be easier for others to install. I'd always install them myself for them, but what if it came undone or something and they have to put it back in?

On the other hand, the radian would offer a little more height for them to grow before having to switch to a booster. Also it might be easier to get both girls in since both of their seats would be the low profile radian , easier for them to climb in by themselves, etc.

I honestly have no clue which one I should buy, I love both my seats, I'd love to have a 2nd of either one.
I wont technically need the 40 lbs RF limit of the Radian, my kids turn at 3 regardless of their weight (unless they tell me they would rather RF and they are still within the RF weight and height limits) And judging by my dd's growth and how the baby seems to be growing too, he wont reach 35 lbs before he's 3.

Which would you choose? And anyone have any stories about installing 2 radians and a big britax convertible, or 2 big britax convertibles with one radian, in a 3 across situtation? My car is a 2007 Toyota Camry if that matters. Oh, almost forgot! If I get a Radian, would it be worth it to stretch the budget a little and get the XT so the outboard child will have better SIP?

YIKES this is long! I'm sorry!

ADS

xxluckychicxx

I would get another RN. RFing and FFing RNs puzzle really well together so you could do

RFing RN/ FFing RN/ FFing FPSVD.

Pixels

Have you tried the FPSVD on the other side of the Radian? Hopefully that will give you a good idea of whether or not the RA50 would fit. Just move the FPSVD to the other side, being careful not to move the Radian over while you're doing it.

Try that and get ahold of another Radian to try side by side with the one you've got. If they don't fit, that pretty much makes your decision for you.

Blondie87

Maybe you could get another Radian, have one FF outboard, the new one (rated to 40 lbs RF) RF in the middle for DD2, and then DS RF outboard in the FPSVD.

The Radian and FPSVD puzzle super great when they are going the same way.

Or do you not wanna put DD2.. or DD3 RF again?

Holly

Have you tried the FPSVD on the other side of the Radian? Hopefully that will give you a good idea of whether or not the RA50 would fit. Just move the FPSVD to the other side, being careful not to move the Radian over while you're doing it.

Try that and get ahold of another Radian to try side by side with the one you've got. If they don't fit, that pretty much makes your decision for you.

I have kind of tried it. I had the FPSVD out last weekend because the kids and I went to my brother's house overnight and he came to our house to pick us up. When I was putting it back in my car, i was curious if it was going to fit, so set it on the seat rf where the keyfit base has been (where the RA50 would go. THe Radian had not been taken out of the car at all because I used my Scenera as the other seat in my brother's car. The Radian was already as far over to the outboard driver's side as it can go with still allowing the FPSVD to fit next to it. It didn't seem to fit at all on the seat when I just set it RF next to the radian, but that was all I did, just set it there. I didn't put the base in RF mode and I didn't actually try to install it, so that might make some difference.

Maybe you could get another Radian, have one FF outboard, the new one (rated to 40 lbs RF) RF in the middle for DD2, and then DS RF outboard in the FPSVD.

The Radian and FPSVD puzzle super great when they are going the same way.

Or do you not wanna put DD2.. or DD3 RF again?

I don't want to RF dd#2 anymore. I was going to keep her RF to 3 (like I did with dd#1) but she reached 32 lbs in December at 25 months and the limit on both my seats is 33 lbs and I didn't want to weigh her every day. She and dd#1 are still 32 lbs, they were both just weighed again, but I don't think I could put her in RF now, she is really solid and feels a lot heavier than dd#1 even though they weigh the same. It would be difficult (though not impossible) to lift her into the middle seat.

It was easier to have the RFer in the middle before we had 3 kids because we could climb in and sit on the seat or kneel on it to put them in, and now we can't do that. We'd like to avoid having a RFer in the center if we can.
But also she is going to be 3 in November, and thats our max for RFing.
Dh isn't thrilled with ERF, at least past age 2, he's fine with it from 1 to 2, but will let me RF them to 3 if they can turn at that point. We First said we'd get the new seat next month, but we decided to wait until ds can sit up by himself so when he's done with the keyfit, he can sit in the grocery store shopping carts, so it might be later than August. DD#2 will be closer to turning 3 at that point.

canadiangie

Holly,

Regardless of how the seats are positioned or what direction your kids are facing, I'd pick the Radian.

It will last longer in terms of keeping someone out of a booster for longer (not due to safety, but due to having a 3 across buckling issue), and it's got the SafeStop which might be helpful since your kiddos rf to age 3 max.

Holly

Holly,

Regardless of how the seats are positioned or what direction your kids are facing, I'd pick the Radian.

It will last longer in terms of keeping someone out of a booster for longer (not due to safety, but due to having a 3 across buckling issue), and it's got the SafeStop which might be helpful since your kiddos rf to age 3 max.

Those are good points! Thanks!
Now I just need to decide 65 or XT. Looks like the poll is even.
I think I figured out a way I can do it as cheap as possible. I'll need to find out which site has it the cheapest, and then I can price match it with diapers.com (they say they do that) because I have a $12 credit there already. They have free shipping for orders over $49. Does that sound like it would be the easiest way to get the best deal on it?

canadiangie

Given that you're dealing with a 3 across situation and needing to reach past or towards seats, I'd avoid the wings of the XT. When I have a seat in the middle of my vehicle, I am forced to reach/work past the wings on the XT and it's irritating to be honest. A seat with a lower profile side is easier to work past when reaching to the middle, or even if you put a wing'd seat in the middle it can still be irritating to work with while reaching in to buckle. Just my .02 cents, take it for what it's worth. I'm sure lots of people have no issues, and truthfully it's not a deal breaker, it's just something to ponder. ;)

Holly

Yeah, it would probably be obnoxious to reach past the headwings to buckle the middle child in. Also, they have never been in seats with wings before, I don't know if they would like that. DD2's head always flops forward when she falls asleep no matter what seat she sits in though, so maybe it would be good for that. Do you think a regular radian outboard is at a much greater risk for injuries in a side impact than a kid in any other seat (even a seat without wings, like a MA for example)?

canadiangie

No, I think that a properly used 5 point harness seat can offer substantial protection to a child in a side impact crash. I own an XT because it's one of a small few seats that rf to 35lbs in Canada. I own my BV because I *wanted* one, not because I think the headwings will be beneficial for a ff child in a side impact crash. My theory is to rf for as long as humanly possible because we know it enhances side impact protection. After that it's to harness to age 5+. And only when my child goes into a booster will I pay careful attention to finding a booster with deep headwings because at that point we'll be sans harness, and that's when SIP truly comes into play .. IMO.

Holly

Any other comments on why the XT over the 65 or vice versa? I see the poll is slightly more in favor of the XT, but not tons. So I'm still undecided.
Anyone in Utah have an XT I can try in my car, then I'll know if the headwings will be a pain to reach over to buckle the middle? Or, any kind of Radian actually, then I'll know for sure 2 will fit side by side, though I'm not too worried about that.

Pixels

If you get an XT and one of the Radians go in the middle, it wouldn't be hard to decide which goes where. What if your ideal setup at some point has both Radians outboard? Would you have a hard time picking to which child to give the extra protection? Or would you be fine with finding a reason that one child "needs" the headwings more than the other, such as age or head-flop?

jujumum

I voted for th RN65, though the 80 might be more comfy. I prefer the fit of the RN with 3+ year olds over the MA/FPSVD, and didn't vote for the XT as you already have a non-wing RN (and I'm a little weird about wanting seat to match :eek:). Since the new 40lb doesn't matter, you might be able to find a resonable 65 or 80 on the swap page.:)

knkdt

I would get the radian because it with stood a building falling on it, right. I know the safest seat is the one that fits the car, child, and budget the best, but seriously that is one strong seat ;).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC