questions without registering

Simplysomething

I was wondering if maybe there was a way to bring back that feature--for one of the forums? I was thinking more like someone would submit a question, and it would have to be approved...before it's posted to the board, that sort of thing.

I recall that before, if I wasn't logged in, I couldn't post in the coffee break forum. And I know that the posts in the whatevermacallit--shoot--brainfart..REVIEWS! forum have to be approved before posting. But they also don't get that many posts.

It just occurred to me that having to approve those posts would be too much work for the mods (being a free board and all).

And I'm sure you guys thought of that before you had to decide to require registration to post.

I was just thinking of the people who are too shy to ask "Stupid" questions, even online. Aw well. And yet, I'm going to post this anyway.

(and another thought What is v-card download?)

ADS

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
That's an interesting idea, actually I hadn't thought of it. When we had the spam attacks, I basically just threw a "master switch" to require registration. I'm pretty sure that unregistered users could be allowed to post but have all their posts moderated before they appear without affecting other users. I'm not sure how much of a hassle that would be on the moderators, but it might be worth a try.

Where do you see a reference to v-card? I need to look into that at some point. I have options for that as well.

skaterbabs

Actually, moderating unregistered posters isn't that difficult, and if it's "manpower" you need, I'd be glad to help.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
On a trial basis, users who have not yet registered, confirmed their email address or had their accounts approved as a Registered User may still post in the Car Seats forum.

These posts will be moderated before they appear to the public. Moderation usually occurs in less than a few hours, but can take up to a day.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Caviller

Here's the scoop. vCard is essentially a file format used to exchange personal contact information like email addresses, phone numbers etc. Apparently the forum software lets you download such information from a profile into a PDA or other software application like Microsoft Outlook.

You may turn this feature on in your User CP control panel to allow other Registered Users to use vCard to transfer your username, email address and certain other information like your website and birthday that you have made public in your profile. I tested it and it seems relatively harmless. If you are curious, try downloading the vcard from this user and take a look at the information it includes by using Notepad, Wordpad or Outlook.

This feature is OFF by default for all users at registration. You have to turn it on manually in your control panel options to enable it. Unregistered users would not have access to this information even if you have enabled vcard.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Thank you for the offers- so far there hasn't been much of a surge, just a handful a day. The real test will be in the spring when the activity jumps again. Winters tend to be less active on this forum, even though you'd think more people would surf when they are indoors.

lovinwaves

Thank you for the offers- so far there hasn't been much of a surge, just a handful a day. The real test will be in the spring when the activity jumps again. Winters tend to be less active on this forum, even though you'd think more people would surf when they are indoors.

I would also think more people would be interested in carseat & car safety with the snow & icy months ahead. I know I think about it more...

skaterbabs

Yep. One of the local free papers here just printed an article I wrote about it. But I forgot to mention the coat thing and the picture of the baby they used is in a poufy coat. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC