Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

questions without registering

I was wondering if maybe there was a way to bring back that feature--for one of the forums? I was thinking more like someone would submit a question, and it would have to be approved...before it's posted to the board, that sort of thing.

I recall that before, if I wasn't logged in, I couldn't post in the coffee break forum. And I know that the posts in the whatevermacallit--shoot--brainfart..REVIEWS! forum have to be approved before posting. But they also don't get that many posts.

It just occurred to me that having to approve those posts would be too much work for the mods (being a free board and all).

And I'm sure you guys thought of that before you had to decide to require registration to post.

I was just thinking of the people who are too shy to ask "Stupid" questions, even online. Aw well. And yet, I'm going to post this anyway.

(and another thought What is v-card download?)
    apparently, people put stuff here.
    imagine:
    photos of my extremely adorable spawn.
    their stats and a
    witty quote.

posted from my computer using the internet...
    Super SEEEEKRIT stuff here.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: questions without registering

That's an interesting idea, actually I hadn't thought of it. When we had the spam attacks, I basically just threw a "master switch" to require registration. I'm pretty sure that unregistered users could be allowed to post but have all their posts moderated before they appear without affecting other users. I'm not sure how much of a hassle that would be on the moderators, but it might be worth a try.

Where do you see a reference to v-card? I need to look into that at some point. I have options for that as well.

Actually, moderating unregistered posters isn't that difficult, and if it's "manpower" you need, I'd be glad to help.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

On a trial basis, users who have not yet registered, confirmed their email address or had their accounts approved as a Registered User may still post in the Car Seats forum.

These posts will be moderated before they appear to the public. Moderation usually occurs in less than a few hours, but can take up to a day.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Awesome! I hope it works out.

The vcard thingy was in the edit options. Third down, under the reputation thing. I have no clue what it is.

K.
    apparently, people put stuff here.
    imagine:
    photos of my extremely adorable spawn.
    their stats and a
    witty quote.

posted from my computer using the internet...
    Super SEEEEKRIT stuff here.

CPS Technician

Here's the scoop. vCard is essentially a file format used to exchange personal contact information like email addresses, phone numbers etc. Apparently the forum software lets you download such information from a profile into a PDA or other software application like Microsoft Outlook.

You may turn this feature on in your User CP control panel to allow other Registered Users to use vCard to transfer your username, email address and certain other information like your website and birthday that you have made public in your profile. I tested it and it seems relatively harmless. If you are curious, try downloading the vcard from this user and take a look at the information it includes by using Notepad, Wordpad or Outlook.

This feature is OFF by default for all users at registration. You have to turn it on manually in your control panel options to enable it. Unregistered users would not have access to this information even if you have enabled vcard.

Quote Originally Posted by skaterbabscpst View Post
    Actually, moderating unregistered posters isn't that difficult, and if it's "manpower" you need, I'd be glad to help.
    I would be glad to help moderate also. I am online it seems alot during the day anyways.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

Thank you for the offers- so far there hasn't been much of a surge, just a handful a day. The real test will be in the spring when the activity jumps again. Winters tend to be less active on this forum, even though you'd think more people would surf when they are indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Thank you for the offers- so far there hasn't been much of a surge, just a handful a day. The real test will be in the spring when the activity jumps again. Winters tend to be less active on this forum, even though you'd think more people would surf when they are indoors.
    I would also think more people would be interested in carseat & car safety with the snow & icy months ahead. I know I think about it more...
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

Yep. One of the local free papers here just printed an article I wrote about it. But I forgot to mention the coat thing and the picture of the baby they used is in a poufy coat.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley