New folks...

Simplysomething

So, I first came across this site when my oldest was younger (not an infant, but under 4). I know I asked questions, and they were answered, and I left. Then I found it again with my youngest. I came, asked questions, they were answered, and for whatever reason I stuck around. Eventually I registered, in March.

And I'm addicted. Now, the one thing I did notice is that there never seemed to be more than 10 (give or take 5) or so active members posting. Which was fine.

Then came the spam attacks. Suddenly everyone had to register before they could post a question. Now, the ranks of regulars are swelling. Before, people would post their questions and then be off, forgetting about the car seat board.

Now, people are compelled to stay. So, even if the spammers did kill the questions in annoynomity feature, there are now more carseat safety nuts, asking and answering more questions.

It's almost like the spam was a blessing in disguise.

I have a point here, but I forgot it.

Oh well.

K.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Hey, I knew what your point was when I started reading - :confused: :p

I like that you posted this, though :D

I've been thinking about when I 1st joined here: so many misuse issues but I thought I'd just get some info & that would be that. Uhnuh. I'm still here....

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Interestingly, the volume of posts, threads, bandwidth and visitors went up significantly earlier in the year, before the spam attacks and registration requirement. I'm not sure what prompted it exactly, but we had a big bump in January and then again in May. It has stayed relatively flat since May but last month had a huge jump in posts/threads even though the bandwidth used and total visitors stayed about the same.

There has certainly been an increase in registered users and "community" since the spam attacks, so I agree there was something good to come from that episode!

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
I'm a "newbie" and loving it here. I lurked a long time ago (before the spam attacks you all talk about...) and then when I became a tech I found you all again. I love it here because I feel like there are people who understand me! I love my friends, but none of them are as into CPS as I am (although, I'm working on a few ;) ). I get wierd looks all the time when I express CPS views and have started getting the cold shoulder by parents at preschool who I've tried to help. I'm a very friendly, non-confrontational person, and it's hard for me to be in that spot! I'm glad this board is here!

mominabigtruck

I just found this board in the last couple of months and it has been quite a revalation. I always thought I was up on my cps info but now I know there is a ton of stuff I didn't know and I'm always learning new things everyday. Also, its nice that there's someone here to talk about these things and not feel like an overprotective freak for wanting my kids to be safe in the car.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Same here, it's addictive, and glad to find others online who care so deeply about CPS. In "real life," I haven't encountered very many enthused folks, even though I'm usually anything but "in your face about it" and prefer using a softer approach with friends and family. I also think posting traffic here spiked up after the Kyle Miller YouTube video, similar to what happened on other carseat-related boards, but everyone here pretty much kept it very informative and friendly. I saw it get quite ugly on another board I mainly lurk on, and seeing that happen made me even more appreciative of the collective civility and general community feeling here. :D

scatterbunny

I somehow found this board 3 years ago (I think almost to the exact month, even!) when my dd was just shy of 2.5 years old, 38 inches and 33 pounds and had outgrown her Cosco Alpha Omega by height. I thought my only choice was to move her to booster mode, so young and so small, because that's what her seat said to do, and it was a 3-in-1, "the only seat you'll ever need", so I thought my freakishly long-torsoed child had no other options.

Thanks to the wonderful people here and a few other car safety boards I became much more enlightened, AND addicted to sharing my newfound knowledge. It just didn't seem fair to me that so much of this important information isn't more readily available, so now I spout carseat stuff to anyone and everyone, wherever I go. :rolleyes:

This is, by far, my favorite online community. Other than checking my email and visiting one private board, this is the first place I come online. I hope it stays that way!

drey

I have to confess, I'm another lurker. I mostly read stuff & file them away in my head. DS is 3 years, 9 months, and either almost or just over 40lbs. I bought his MA when he was 6 months old, mostly because of facts from this site. He still has about 1/2" to 2/3" left on the highest slots. I'm pretty sure I'll get him a Regent next, but haven't decided on what his backup seat will be. DH thinks I'm nuts, but without this site I wouldn't be as informed as I am today, or be able to make the best decision I can for my son's safety. For that, THANK YOU!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
This is, by far, my favorite online community. Other than checking my email and visiting one private board, this is the first place I come online. I hope it stays that way!

And you will forever have a place in our hearts as our first "CPS Fanatic" !

Hopefully, all the new changes will make things a little more fun and interesting for the community:) An updated list is in the December, 2006 Announcement sticky in this forum.

jamesmommy

I am a newbie too, and pretty much a lurker. I was pointed in this direction by a fellow member of StrollerSwap, and I have been so impressed with the folks here, everyone seems to be very knowlegable and friendly and I am learning so much. I am sure I will be posting more as I get acquainted with everything.

I am taking the certification class in March and can't wait.

Amie

mommy to James, almost 4, FF in a Britax Husky

cantech

I had to chime in on this one...

This board rocks! And yes I'm addicted!

I come here and laugh and cry and sometimes drop my jaw and go OMG!but I've learned. As a Canadian CRST our real life community is very small and our resources are limited and though we have different standards our objectives are the same...to help save children.

There seem to be more and more of us "northern cousins" here lately and I'm glad. The more we "talk" the more we learn...

Thanks!

Belinda

j4m4d8

It's great having so many knowledgable people helping others on this board. I mainly just lurk nowadays since I'm not too fast with responses. By the time I've thought it out, somebody has already answered!

I'm almost sure I first came here looking to find a car seat that my baby girl couldn't escape from. That would have been in March 2003? Although I remember I knew where to go so possibly I had lurked here before that. I have no idea what prompted me to join.

Hey, Jenny, I registered one day after you did! And only 1800 posts to catch up! But we sure miss you when you aren't around.

Julie D.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Prior to early 2003, these forums were hosted on ezBoards for about two years. Those were some pretty slow times, compounded by frequent outages, missing posts and other ezBoard hassles. I went to visit it the other day and they had finally nuked all the posts or had another major database wipeout. It would have been fun to see them. They're all archived here, too, but you have to dig for them.

Edit:

You can see them. Here's a blast from 4 years ago:

http://web.archive.org/web/20021208214045/pub59.ezboard.com/bcarsafety

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Oh wow. I wonder what ever happened to "pippi2077"--she used to post a lot. Hehe, so did I for that matter :D. This is a very friendly community and Darren has made sure it stays that way. It's been a lot of work for him and he's put up with a lot of emergency "CAR-SAFETY.ORG IS BEING INVADED BY SPAMMERS!!" emails and IMs from me, lol. We're basically a good group of people helping each other and the newbies with their questions :).

lovinwaves

I came on this board because I want to become a CPS Tech, and have always been obsessed with cars and safety of. Everyone on here is so nice, and I like there is no real profanity used. It always seems to stay very technical, serious and intelligent. I also like how half the pages aren't just signatures. I have tried Delphi, but found their boards confusing with all the photos and flashy signatures (p.s.-I love Tiffs on here though! he he)

I always feel like I am intruding by answering questions because I am not a Tech. I do feel however I can respond with my own personal experiences. I also like they we can discuss strollers, and cars too!!! :D

Thanks for this thread SimplySomething!!! :) Super Duper! :p

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I joined a little while ago, and have always been interested in car seat/ cars and saftey ect... become more interested after finding this board and now planing on becoming a CPST soon... i'll stick around even though i feel a little out of place some time! LOL I love how the board has grown!

scatterbunny

Lovinwaves--I used to feel that way, too (nervous about answering questions), but if it's something you've learned and you feel sure about it, answer away! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC