I wonder if I bought a Britax now

estelle0702

if soon they would do the same as Sunshine Kids and bring the RF limit to 40 pounds on their already manufactured seats since the 40 pound limit seems to be catching on? I really love Britax seats and although I like the look of the Radians I've never used one. Would Britax customer service be able to tell me?

ADS

Maedze

I would definitely not buy anything Britax makes predicated on that belief.

Sunshine Kids updated their seat in 08. No such updates have happened with Britax, and Britax has NEVER made anything retroactive wrt weight limits.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would not count on it.

Britax reps and engineers stated last month that they had no plans to test any existing seats to 40# RFing. They may change their minds, of course, or they may have not been completely forthcoming -- but still, that's enough for me to say that it wouldn't be the best idea to buy a seat and hope it happens.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Not to mention their shells aren't tall enough to get most kids to 40 pounds rear facing.

Wendy

4boysmom

Sunshine Kids updated their seat in 08. No such updates have happened with Britax, and Britax has NEVER made anything retroactive wrt weight limits.

you sure about that? I thought it was the 30 to 33 (but may have been 30 to 32 or 32 to 33) that was supposedly retroactive. Any which way like other posters even if the seat was retroactive to current seats the current seats are likely not going to have many kids that can actually use the seat in that 5 pound increment cue to height.

estelle0702

I'm still unsure of getting a Radian. My 3 1/2 yr old is begging to be RFacing again but I'm not sure if I get a Radian if he will only get or want to be in in for a few months. He has a younger brother but he's in the 30 percentile for weight so I think it would take him forever to reach even 35 lbs. He probably wont even be 40 lbs by Kindergarten so I'm undecided on if the 40 lbs limit is worth it for my kids.

Qarin

you sure about that? I thought it was the 30 to 33 (but may have been 30 to 32 or 32 to 33) that was supposedly retroactive. Any which way like other posters even if the seat was retroactive to current seats the current seats are likely not going to have many kids that can actually use the seat in that 5 pound increment cue to height.

When they upped the RF limit from 30 to 33, they made it retroactive.

And then they took it back.

jujumum

For comparison, here is a BV & RNXT:

Picture003.jpg

Here is 3.5 year old dd in both. At this time she had about 2-3" above her head in the BV and 4-5" in the RNXT.
seats006.jpg

seats014a.jpg

DD preferred the recline ff on the BV, so we sent this XT back to the online store (we bought to the return insurance). But, we bought another one tonight for the extra 5lb rf!:)

Last edited:

estelle0702

Thanks so much for the comparison pics! Now I'm curious to see comparison pics of a kid in a RFing Radian and My Ride. Anyone, please?

2BunniesMommy

Thanks so much for the comparison pics! Now I'm curious to see comparison pics of a kid in a RFing Radian and My Ride. Anyone, please?

I don't have that for you, but I can tell you that DD1 fits with just about the same amount of room in both a MyRide and a Marathon, so the Radian is going to have a good amount more room to grow than a MyRide.

fyrfightermomma

I don't have that for you, but I can tell you that DD1 fits with just about the same amount of room in both a MyRide and a Marathon, so the Radian is going to have a good amount more room to grow than a MyRide.

My kids have about 1.5" in the MA, 2" in the MR, and about 4 inches in the Radian. It's a whole lot taller(and easier to get a kiddo in RFing)

estelle0702

My kids have about 1.5" in the MA, 2" in the MR, and about 4 inches in the Radian. It's a whole lot taller(and easier to get a kiddo in RFing)
Thanks for the info. My DS2 has exactly and inch above his head in the MA and I had to go to town today so I stopped by Babiesrus to check out the MR and Radian. He had pretty much the same amount in the MR so I don't think he could ride in either. If he grew at all he would be too tall.

They didn't have the Radian. Neither does Target or Baby Depot. Does this car seat even exist outside of the internet?

I think I'm going to get a Radian now for DS2 to RF and when DS3's MA expires he can move to the Radian and DS2 can move to a Nautilis which will hopefully by that time have cuter covers. Sound good?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC