News Radian survives building collapse...

elle7715

Another Radian thread, anyone else see this?

Last week, a parking garage in Atlanta partially collapsed, destroying nearly 40 of the 1600 cars parked in the garage. One of these cars belonged to Sarah Maglione, a mom from Atlanta. Her SUV was parked on the second level of the garage, with her Radian 65 car seat installed in the back passenger seat.

When they pulled her car out of the rubble, it was flat as a pancake, except for the rear seat section on the passenger side. The steel alloy frame of the Radian car seat was so strong, it upheld that part of the car even as tons of concrete and other vehicles tumbled down on top of it. “That thing did not bend an inch,” Maglione said.

Links to a picture: http://mbeans.com/spillingthebeans/baby/radian-car-seat-proves-its-metal/

ETA: I feel a little better about our kids being squished into a compact car...at least they're in Radians!

Last edited:
ADS

djma

Re: Another Radian thread, anyone else see this?

Wow! I didn't see that on the news! It was pretty amazing no one was injured or killed.

That's great about the Radian! I guess Russ has some reason to be so in love with it! :p

spirit19

I was going to post this too! Amazing...and now 40lbs rear facing!! :love:

LuvBug

bah! I can't see the pictures at work! or the blog even...

do we have an alternate source?

rachandsoph

:eek: Wow! I bet if I show DH, he will say we need to get a couple of Radians for our Yukon.

skylinphoto

I am so showing dh this tonight so he'll be more excited about our future radian xt we're buying. (yeah, not enough excitement over the new rf limits...lol).

sunnymw

Holy freaking AWESOME!!

(So, how the heck are we supposed to "properly dispose" of them when they expire, since they appear to be indestructible? :D)

mom2juliarose

I shared this with DH and now he wants me to sell our Regent so we can get another Radian (which would be passed down, eventually).

LuvBug

ooo cool... I wonder what the frame of the seat looks like now.

sunnymw

It looks completely intact.

As a parking garage, I'm sure there were many, many cars with car seats in them. Wonder why they didn't share pics of OTHER car seats' aftermaths? :whistle:

vonfirmath

It looks completely intact.

As a parking garage, I'm sure there were many, many cars with car seats in them. Wonder why they didn't share pics of OTHER car seats' aftermaths? :whistle:

Including Radians in other cars.

I remember after 9-11, there were some really amazing things brought intact out of the wreckage...

canmom

Not sure where to post this, feel free to move.

Sunshine Kids' Radian65 Proves It Won't Crack Under Pressure

SUMNER, WA – July 8, 2009 – Last week's freak collapse of the five-story Centergy parking deck in Midtown Atlanta left onlookers, bystanders and victims alike stricken with awe as it was revealed that not a single person was harmed in the crumble that damaged or destroyed a total of 38 vehicles.

But for Sarah Maglione, whose vehicle was among those destroyed, the spectacle had only just begun. Her SUV was parked on the structure's second level when the incident occurred; it was the thirtieth vehicle pulled from the wreckage. "I had three floors of a parking garage collapse on top of my car," Maglione said. "It is flattened beyond belief."

The particular that astounded her further: the fact that her child's car seat, a Sunshine Kids Radian65 positioned on the passenger side of the back seat in her SUV, completely withstood the force of the collapse and upheld its section of the car, as well.

"Amazing," Maglione said. "That thing did not bend an inch," referring to her Radian65 car seat. "They are built using steel alloy frames, and I always heard they were the strongest. Now I know it."

Radian®, by Sunshine Kids Juvenile Products, is constructed with an exclusive steel alloy frame for superior impact protection. Seven-inch-deep, high-impact-grade engineered sidewalls reinforced with EPS foam provide superior side impact protection, absorb crash energy and protect the child from intrusions making it the strongest car seat available. Radian is a convertible car seat built to protect children between 5 and 65 pounds.

The Radian® car seat line is available through independent juvenile stores across the US and Canada, as well as the Sunshine Kids Juvenile Products web site (www.skjp.com).

Sunshine Kids Juvenile Products is the manufacturer of more than 80 innovative juvenile products, including car seats, storage solutions, and related travel and stroller accessories, designed to facilitate today's on-the-go family lifestyle and assure the maximum in safety protection.

For more information on this product, additional photos or to see the Radian's crash testing video, email Kathy Laux at kathy.laux@skjp.com or call (888) 336-7909.
image-01.jpg

image-02.jpg

image-03.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC