"Let's Ride" www.grandmaknows.org carseats...

Status
Not open for further replies.

capeKO71

So someone on the CPST listserve just put this out there...

This company is selling these "carseats" claiming they passed all federal regulations.

So my question is... how does a company do this? These can't possibly pass all the regulations... could they?

So here were my questions (and yes... I emailed them...)... what do you all think of this product? I'm not against thinking outside of the box... but man... something just looks wrong with these seats... big time.

1. The shell of a car seat actually helps distribute and absorb the energy of a crash... how do your seats do this?
2. How did you test that the seat will be held in place with it connected to the headrest in front of it? The bench test that the US does does not have this setup. Also - a headrest is not necessarily designed for this load... how do you know it won't break and then also hurt the passenger as well...
3. How can you ensure a 45 degree angle for newborns to prevent airway blockage
4. You mention tethers... I believe you mean latch... correct? Latch is the lower anchors... tether is behind the seat for forward facing.
5. The harness does not adjust upwards or down... which means you are not fitting a child properly with the harness at or below the shoulders rear facing - does it not matter with your seat where the harness is?
6. Was there any side impact testing? This looks like it would put the baby directly into the door with no EPS foam or other support between them and the steel coming towards them to absorb the energy...

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, the FF harness looks a lot like the Cosco Tote N Go-- which DOES pass FMVSS regs. (Remember that vests have different regulations than car seats with a shell.) I'm not saying this one does but it potentially could.

As for the rear-facing one, it's very interesting. I would like to know what tests it was subjected to, etc. If they really paid for testing and it passed, then I guess it meets standards! I don't know if it could pass, but, you know, hypothetically.

I'd probably report this site to NHTSA and let them deal with it rather than dealing with it myself.

cowgirlsmommy

Those honestly scare me. Especially the infant seat. The material looks like they went and cut up my grandma's couch. The seat itself looks like something my grandpa would proudly come up with from spare parts in the garage.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
No way did those "pass or exceed all applicable federal safety standards." Those items would most certainly be considered child restraints for use in a motor vehicle, and must meet the requirements set forth in FMVSS 213. The use of the headrest supports to install the RF seat would not pass testing, nor are seats allowed to require the use of lower LATCH anchors, as stated in the product description. Also, I don't believe that seats with a FF capacity of less than 50 lbs are allowed to require the use of a top tether, which this FF seat obviously would.

I agree about thinking out of the box, but what Grandma really needs to do is entice a reputable child restraint manufacturer so that they can make these ideas reality (if deemed feasible).

MomToEliEm

That sure is a strange rearfacing seat concept. It attaches to the headrest, lower anchors and top anchor to hold the "hammock" type thing in place. I would love to see how it performed in crash tests.

I thought the federal requirements required that a carseat use either latch or a seatbelt to install a carseat, yet this system requires latch and top tethers for use. How could it pass if it requires latch with not alternative seatbelt install method.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I though the federal requirements required that a carseat use either latch or a seatbelt to install a carseat, yet this system requires latch and top tethers for use. How could it pass if it requires latch.

It can't pass if it requires LATCH.

capeKO71

Stephanie Tombrello just sent a reply that basically, they sent an inquiry to NHTSA. They have tried to have contact with the engineer to no luck, but he is known as a guy who doesn't want to hear about proper testing. They are not legal period.

goldmama22

It says the materials have passed standards... I didn't see anything about the actual seats passing standards. Misleading. Along with everything else wrong with them, that baby is practically flat, not at a 45 degree angle. Has anyone reported them?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I didn't look at it too long but it really scares me to think of an infant in that rear-facing seat. Ick.

SavsMom

Anyone should be able to look at those things and know that there is no way possible they could have passed....scary scary scary.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Here's a story that was done on the couple who come up with the idea....

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=119119

From that article:

Most important, before the Aarons started selling their products, they sent them through the same rigorous testing other child seat manufacturers must go through.

"On a car seat there's probably 60 pages of requirements that we have to meet," Glenn said.

The couple started working with MGA Proving Grounds in Wisconsin a year ago to continuing developing and perfecting their harness system that would pass government safety tests. Test engineer Jay Nutting says the Aaron's harnesses not only passed all the tests, they are also different from anything else on the market right now.

"We made sure when we tested his [Glenn] seat it met the same requirements of the seats you and I are most familiar with on the market today," Nutting said.

So, they really are claiming to have passed the standards. :confused:

vonfirmath

What is scary to me is they say their grandkids are already riding in them!

(this does not mean they are safe, though. I've worked with an engineer who took a saw to his car seats to make 3 fit across the back of his car and called it "safe")

And they are probably counting on the fact that no one is ever pulled over for illegal car seats in America anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC