How much longer will a XT, FR, GN last than a MA?

MarathonMama

Does the Radian XT have a 35lb RF limit in Canada? I've only seen it listed as 30lbs from a few retailers I've looked in to.

ODD is on the third slot in her MA (about to move soon to the top slot). She is 39.5" tall and weighs about 31-32lbs. As mentioned in a previous post, I'm debating between a few seats but I'm still unsure how much longer any one of them will last her harnessed and which one will make a decent booster. I guess I'm considering the XT mainly because I'm worried that neither the FR or the GN will fit her properly and then I'd end up getting a dedicated booster anyways. I'm also worried about configuration in our SUV (Kia Rondo) since there are no top tethers in the third row and I might have to do 3 across at some point (I only have one other child ATM who is RF in a MA, 13mos and 17.5lbs).

BTW, I know tethering is law in Canada, but I have a relatively silly question: do you have to have the XT, FR, or GN tethered or is it different for the US or what configuration you're using it in (i.e belt path, LATCH, booster mode, etc)?

Seriously, how much time did you get out of any of these seats vs a MA?

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
BTW, I know tethering is law in Canada, but I have a relatively silly question: do you have to have the XT, FR, or GN tethered or is it different for the US or what configuration you're using it in (i.e belt path, LATCH, booster mode, etc)?

All harnessed seats require tether use in Canada. I don't think the Frontier/GN require it in booster mode, but I'm sure someone who knows for sure will be along. :)

As far as how much longer the seats will last, my DS outgrew the MA by height about 14 months ago, and he still has at least 1/2" to go before outgrowing the GN by height. So I'd estimate at least 1-1.5 years. :thumbsup: (Depending on how fast the individual kid's torso grows, of course.)

momto2princes

My oldest son outgrew his MA by height around his sixth birthday. We put him in a Frontier and he still had 2 more harness heights to go. My son is slight 20%tile for weight / 60-70%tile for height and he fits the Frontier really well and loves it.
I believe most of the techs agree that the Frontier makes an excellent booster.

We just switched our RF'ing 3 year old from his MA to an XT and he has more room to grow in it than he did in the MA. Yes the XT does go to 35lbs RF in Canada I bought one a month ago.

As far as the tethering I would have to go out to the van to check the manuals.
We are still using the Frontier in harness mode and the tether in required, we have the XT RF and the tether on aswell.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
The XT has about 1" more room than the Marathon.

The Nautilus and Frontier each have about 2" more room than the Marathon.

Sweet Mercies

My ds is in the top slots of the MA and a hair over the 2nd to top slots of the Nautilus....he's 3.5. My 6.5 year old is exactly the same....

Northriver

My niece just outgrew her MA FF at age 5.5. She still has maybe another 3/4- 1 inch left in the Radian and maybe 1.5-2" in the Frontier.

My daughter might be a similar build to yours, she is now 42" and 35# and she fits fine in either the Nautilus or the Frontier right now as a harnessed seat. I've never used either as a booster so I can't speak to that issue. I can say that I think she preferrs the Nauti right now because the seat is a bit deep on the Frontier and her legs don't hang as comfortably in that seat and she has very limited leg room because of tall front seat passangers/drivers in our smallish car. Of course in another year, the Frontier will probably be MORE comfortable for the exact same reason, so everything is relative.

I really love my Radian 80. Didn't at first but once I got used to it, it grew on me and I like it more everytime I use it. My daughter is tall and the Radian is a really good value for the money for us. I wish now I had more Radians and fewer Britax seats. I'd seriously look at the Radian XT if my child were younger and I could get some RF time from it, too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC