So if it passed FMVSS, but not CMVSS, what makes it safer here?

jrmo

I'm just curious and I'm sure this has been discussed before, but all the discussion on the new AP, has got me thinking about this. It's rated to 40RFing here, but only 35 in Canada. The Marathon is rated to 35 here, but only 30 (right?) in Canada. So how is the testing different? Should I consider turning DD at the Canadian limit? I'm just having some doubts about seats that pass "just enough" in the US that it doesn't in a Canadian test. Can anyone offer some insight on this? TIA!

ADS

vonfirmath

For the Marathon, at least, I don't think its ever been tested to 35 in Canada to know if it would pass or fail. When it was tested, you could not test above 30. And they have not retested since then,

Who knows, maybe Canada won't test above 35 RFing now.

April

For the Marathon, at least, I don't think its ever been tested to 35 in Canada to know if it would pass or fail. When it was tested, you could not test above 30. And they have not retested since then,

Who knows, maybe Canada won't test above 35 RFing now.

I'll see what someone else wants to divuldge here, but with respect to the example above, yes it was tested above 30lbs, and it is currently rated to 33lbs. There are other 35lbs seats here.

The only limit there has been on what weight they "could" test to RF'ing was 48lbs until mid 2007, and now 65lbs. Any seat could be tested to 65lbs RF'ing in Canada if a manufacturer chose to do so. There was never a time (at least not since the MA has been around) that you could not test above 30lbs RF'ing.

As to the OP's original question, our test sled is different than the one used in the US. Hopefully Trudy will be along soon and can say more.

bubbaray

The Cdn MAs USED to be rated to 33lbs. They are CURRENTLY rated to 30lbs. I have one of each and it is definitely the older MAs that were rated to 33lbs.

I'll leave it to Trudy and/or Nicole (or any of our other senior techs/instructors) to detail the reasons.

Personally, if I were in the US, I'd use my seats per the US labelling. I'm using my Canadian seats per the Canadian labelling.

Lea_Ontario

I'm just curious and I'm sure this has been discussed before, but all the discussion on the new AP, has got me thinking about this. It's rated to 40RFing here, but only 35 in Canada.

Directly from Safety 1st (via their facebook wall) :
Safety 1st at 5:10pm July 7
The Complete Air™ Convertible Car Seat with Air Protect™ Technology has not yet been evaluated to 40 lbs in Canada. Thanks!

jrmo

Good info from Safety 1st, thanks. :) I was basing my statement on the Babies R Us Canada website.

I read somewhere that the Canadian sled is less inclined than the US sled, which no longer accurately represents most back seats. My point is just that if a slight incline change makes it NOT pass, how do I know if it's truly safe in my car all the way to 35 (or 40) pounds.

kandamom

Excellent question. I look forward to reading my thoughts on this, as my son is approaching the US rear facing limits on his seat. As the OP wondered, do the seats pass "just enough" in the US when used close to the rf limits?

Rebecca

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I knew it, I just knew it. It already passed to the limits stated for Canada (35 RF and is it 50 FF?) because it's the same shell as the AOE (or some other Dorel model). So, they didn't bother to pay to retest it to 40 lbs. I speculated on another thread that they hadn't tested it. GRRRRRRRR. That's why I needed this seat, was for 40 lbs, I already own a 35 pound RF seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC