Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

DC installations in a Kia Sedona

We have always had our RF'ing MA tethered to a point on the front passenger seat in our Jeep and Odyssey. But I am not finding a good spot in the '07 Sedona that we have rented. There is a tether spot on the back of the captains seat so I could do the Australian method of up and over and tethering at the back of the seat OR there is a non-moving-stable bar under the captain's seat that I could tether to - but did I read somewhere recently that Britax no longer recommends tethering to the same seat the CR is installed in? ETA - DH asked if we could tether under the captain's seat to the rear where the tether spot is for FF'ing seats.

On the FF'ing DC we can't put the headrest of the captain's chair in place and keep the CR stable on the seat - is it ok to store the headrest and have the seat installed without a headrest in place? (if we leave the headrest uninstalled we will leave it at home so it is not a projectile) We had a similar issue in our Jeep and a CPST ok'd it - I just want to make sure for this vehicle and this seat it is alright also.

Thank you
    Last edited by tchrgrrl; 12-02-2006 at 05:08 PM.
    DS1 9 yo 75+ lbs 5pt in a Frontier
    DS2 7 yo 65+ lbs in a Regent

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Re: DC installations in a Kia Sedona

You can remove your headrest and store it. The DC does not need one behind it to function. And I can't imagine a car company making removable headrests if you couldn't remove them for this purpose, but to make sure, check the manual if there is one.

As for tethering, you can not tether to the seat the DC is on. Not under to the ffing anchor, not under to the bar. The tether HAS to go towards the front of the car. The tether is not mandatory, so if you can not find a place under the front seats, you could just not use it. OR, you could put the DC in the third row and tether to the ffing anchor for the second row, as long as it is not in use by the ffing DC..

CCO 4/15

Carseat Crazy

I was afraid of that - Thanks for the info. The Sedona has a console tray that is attached to the passenger seat's frame - can I tether to that?

Can the FF'ing DC be tethered to the same seat as it is installed in?

We are leaving for our roadtrip in 6 hours ACK!

I hope you either figured it out, or get this post before you leave (but I guess that's doubtful....).

According to the DC manual ("user guide"downloaded from BritaxUSA.com)
    you CAN tether a RF seat the "australian" way, up and over the seat back to a tether anchor.
    As for tethering the RF DC to the console tray.... I'm a little confused about what you're describing, but unless it is metal, non-moving, and directly bolted to the vehivle floor, I'm inclined to say no.
    You can NOT tether a FF seat to ANY vehicle seat. A FF seat MUST either be tethered to an acctual tether anchor, or not tethered at all.

If I were you, I would tether the FF seat to the tether anchor for that position in vehicle (or not at all if there is no tether anchor), and I would tether the RF seat to the tether anchor using the australian method (up and over towards the back), or I wouldn't tether it at all.
    Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Carseat Crazy

I am still packing and DS2 woke up for milk so I am sitting with him LOL

According to the Kia manual the tether point on the back of the captain's chair is the tether point for that position I guess we will look at the whole setup again in the morning. Good grief - if I had my lovely Odyssey none of this would be an issue

That should still be ok I would think... Not as good as a tether point on the floor (for physics reasons I believe), but because it's an approved LATCH tether point, I think you can use it. Britax wouldn't be able to comply with LATCH standards if you couldn't use a top tether anchor point just because it was attached to the vehicle seat. Or at least I wouldn't think so...?
    I'm pretty sure that the "no attaching a tether to the vehicle seat that the CSS is instaled on" rule only applies to using the D-ring or attaching the tether to some random spot on the seat. Does that make sense? Of coures, I'm not a tech, but I've lurked her and on other car seat boards (plus done a LOT of research on my own) for quite a while (in other words: I'm not an expert, but I'm also not some crazy person spouting off for the fun of it.). I really think that you should be ok tethering to the tether anchor points. Still I guess it comes down to a parental decision reagarding what you're more comfortable with. The manual doesn't say ANYTHING about not tethering to the vehicle seat that the CSS is instaled on. They just don't advocate tethering a RF seat by going UNDER the vehicle seat the CSS is on (to get to a tether anchor or to attach to the bottom of the seat). HTH!

ETA: I see you're like me when it comes to preparing for an out of town trip... Pack at the last posible minute and sleep as little as posible, lol! Hope your DH is sleeping and will drive tomarow :wink

Carseat Crazy

Thanks, that makes me feel better
    Quote Originally Posted by soygurl View Post
    ETA: I see you're like me when it comes to preparing for an out of town trip... Pack at the last posible minute and sleep as little as posible, lol! Hope your DH is sleeping and will drive tomarow :wink
    Yes, DH was/is sleeping and will do all the driving tomorrow. Now the last bag has been zipped, the last minute list made, the floor is swept and now I get to go to sleep for an hour before DH gets up and we start packing the car.

Carseat Crazy

I just looked at where I got my tethering info and it was from this site - http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/isakswings/ratetherrf.html which is a direct link from the LATCH page on this board Looks like that site is out of date if it still recommends tethering rf'ing britax seats under the seat they are installed in.

I have an 06 Kia Sedona, I don't know if there are any differences between the 06 and 07's.

We have a rear facing marathon tethered under the drivers seat to a non moving bar attached to the floor, you have to use the loop that came with it to wrap around that bar, but it's the only tether spot I have found for the rear facing seat.