DC installations in a Kia Sedona

tchrgrrl

We have always had our RF'ing MA tethered to a point on the front passenger seat in our Jeep and Odyssey. But I am not finding a good spot in the '07 Sedona that we have rented. There is a tether spot on the back of the captains seat so I could do the Australian method of up and over and tethering at the back of the seat OR there is a non-moving-stable bar under the captain's seat that I could tether to - but did I read somewhere recently that Britax no longer recommends tethering to the same seat the CR is installed in? ETA - DH asked if we could tether under the captain's seat to the rear where the tether spot is for FF'ing seats.

On the FF'ing DC we can't put the headrest of the captain's chair in place and keep the CR stable on the seat - is it ok to store the headrest and have the seat installed without a headrest in place? (if we leave the headrest uninstalled we will leave it at home so it is not a projectile) We had a similar issue in our Jeep and a CPST ok'd it - I just want to make sure for this vehicle and this seat it is alright also.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
ADS

Dillipop

You can remove your headrest and store it. The DC does not need one behind it to function. And I can't imagine a car company making removable headrests if you couldn't remove them for this purpose, but to make sure, check the manual if there is one.

As for tethering, you can not tether to the seat the DC is on. Not under to the ffing anchor, not under to the bar. The tether HAS to go towards the front of the car. The tether is not mandatory, so if you can not find a place under the front seats, you could just not use it. OR, you could put the DC in the third row and tether to the ffing anchor for the second row, as long as it is not in use by the ffing DC..

tchrgrrl

I was afraid of that - Thanks for the info. The Sedona has a console tray that is attached to the passenger seat's frame - can I tether to that?

Can the FF'ing DC be tethered to the same seat as it is installed in?

We are leaving for our roadtrip in 6 hours ACK!

soygurl

I hope you either figured it out, or get this post before you leave (but I guess that's doubtful....).

According to the DC manual ("user guide"downloaded from BritaxUSA.com)
you CAN tether a RF seat the "australian" way, up and over the seat back to a tether anchor.
As for tethering the RF DC to the console tray.... I'm a little confused about what you're describing, but unless it is metal, non-moving, and directly bolted to the vehivle floor, I'm inclined to say no.
You can NOT tether a FF seat to ANY vehicle seat. A FF seat MUST either be tethered to an acctual tether anchor, or not tethered at all.

If I were you, I would tether the FF seat to the tether anchor for that position in vehicle (or not at all if there is no tether anchor), and I would tether the RF seat to the tether anchor using the australian method (up and over towards the back), or I wouldn't tether it at all.
Good luck and enjoy your trip!

tchrgrrl

I am still packing and DS2 woke up for milk so I am sitting with him LOL

According to the Kia manual the tether point on the back of the captain's chair is the tether point for that position :( I guess we will look at the whole setup again in the morning. Good grief - if I had my lovely Odyssey none of this would be an issue :mad:

soygurl

That should still be ok I would think... Not as good as a tether point on the floor (for physics reasons I believe), but because it's an approved LATCH tether point, I think you can use it. Britax wouldn't be able to comply with LATCH standards if you couldn't use a top tether anchor point just because it was attached to the vehicle seat. Or at least I wouldn't think so...?
I'm pretty sure that the "no attaching a tether to the vehicle seat that the CSS is instaled on" rule only applies to using the D-ring or attaching the tether to some random spot on the seat. Does that make sense? Of coures, I'm not a tech, but I've lurked her and on other car seat boards (plus done a LOT of research on my own) for quite a while (in other words: I'm not an expert, but I'm also not some crazy person spouting off for the fun of it.). I really think that you should be ok tethering to the tether anchor points. Still I guess it comes down to a parental decision reagarding what you're more comfortable with. The manual doesn't say ANYTHING about not tethering to the vehicle seat that the CSS is instaled on. They just don't advocate tethering a RF seat by going UNDER the vehicle seat the CSS is on (to get to a tether anchor or to attach to the bottom of the seat). HTH!

ETA: I see you're like me when it comes to preparing for an out of town trip... Pack at the last posible minute and sleep as little as posible, lol! Hope your DH is sleeping and will drive tomarow :wink

tchrgrrl

Thanks, that makes me feel better :)
ETA: I see you're like me when it comes to preparing for an out of town trip... Pack at the last posible minute and sleep as little as posible, lol! Hope your DH is sleeping and will drive tomarow :wink
Yes, DH was/is sleeping and will do all the driving tomorrow. Now the last bag has been zipped, the last minute list made, the floor is swept and now I get to go to sleep for an hour before DH gets up and we start packing the car. :)

OldieButGoodie

I have an 06 Kia Sedona, I don't know if there are any differences between the 06 and 07's.

We have a rear facing marathon tethered under the drivers seat to a non moving bar attached to the floor, you have to use the loop that came with it to wrap around that bar, but it's the only tether spot I have found for the rear facing seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC