Question Three rearfacing carseats in CRV or Forester

U

Unregistered

My husband and I are looking for a new car. Interested in either the CRV (2009) or Forester(2009). We want to be able to fit 3 carseats rearfacing (or possible 2 rf and one ff) in the backseat. I know there are a lot of posts on these topics but I've never seen one regarding 3 rfing. We are both short so I'm not concerned about fitting front to back, just side to side.

Any insight would be appreciated. I did take my Britax Roundabout today to the Subaru dealer and tried to install it rf and ff in the center but had a tough time due to the seatbelt components being so close together. I'm going to try it again when I have more time but if anyone has had any success I'd love to hear about it.

Thank you!

Lynnette

ADS

pastrygirl

I'm not able to install anything in the center of my '09 Forester. I've tried a Radian, Marathon, and Chaperone. I had another CPST try, too, and she couldn't do it, either.

Physically, I think I'd be able to do 3-across if only that center position worked! I could do 3-across in my 2001 Forester (RN, MA, RN, all FF).

Maedze

If you are *planning* to do a three across, I wouldn't get either of those cars. They just aren't three-across friendly, and people are more likely to do it if they HAVE to, not by design, if that makes sense.

firemomof3

If you are *planning* to do a three across, I wouldn't get either of those cars. They just aren't three-across friendly, and people are more likely to do it if they HAVE to, not by design, if that makes sense.

I couldn't agree more! I'd look at another vehicle :thumbsup:

bubbaray

I was unable to get 3 across in the '09 Forester with 2 FFg RNs and 1 RFg MA. Given my (weekend) experience with that vehicle, IMO, 3 across is not possible.

If I needed to get 3 across on a regular basis in a small SUV, I'd look at the Ford Escape. I think if you had 3 RNs, you'd be a-OK getting 3 across RFg. I didn't try it (I only have 2 RNs), but I think you have a very good chance.

GL!

U

Unregistered

The problem is that we don't want a bigger car and haven't found any others that fit the bill (as high mpg as possible, power going over steep incline (the grapevine in so. cal), seating for 5, in a reasonable price range. And Baby 3 is purely hypothetical at this point - not decided for sure yet, but want to keep our options open. If you have any better ideas, I would love to hear them!

Yeah - that center seat did seem pretty tricky in the Forester but I thought maybe if I tried for a bit longer it would work. Thanks for letting me know you had no luck.

- Lynnette

a_js

There is no word for how evil the Forester is for carseat installs. Great car, horrible, horrible installations.

My sister has a 2009 CRV, and I think I could fit 3 Radians in the back seat with one FF and two RF. I haven't tried, but it certainly appears to be enough space. Any other seat I would be suspicious of it working.

pastrygirl

There is no word for how evil the Forester is for carseat installs. Great car, horrible, horrible installations.
I wouldn't necessarily say that, though I haven't tried a billion seats. Outboard installations in the 2009 Forester are easy-peasy with seatbelt or LATCH (Marathon, Radian, SR32, and eventually the Chaperone once I got the "trick" down). Outboard installations in my 2001 with the seatbelt were fine, too, but required that the buckle stalk be twisted.

The center position on the other hand... :thumbsdown:

kandamom

I love it!

I would absolutely agree, in general. There were a couple seats I could install easily ff, but everything else was horrible to deal with. Mine was an '03. I have a minivan now, but my husband has an '07 forester. I had never put a carseat in his forester until the other day. I was totally reminded of how difficult it is. (I've been spoiled by my entourage for the past year.) I can't even imagine doing three across. I don't know how narrow the radian is, but with a ff marathon in the middle of our '03 forester, it was very difficult for anyone to even sit in either of the outboard seats. In your situation, I would not get a forester, given the fact that you are thinking of a third child. You could probably get it to work with two, with some effort. Once you figure out which seats work, it might not be so bad. But if you know you want a third child, I wouldn't get a forester.

The gas mileage I got was not all that great - about 19mpg on average with the 4 cylinder, but mostly around town. It was better than our minivan, though.

Best of luck deciding.

Rebecca

BananaBoat

We have an '03 Forester with 1 RFing Keyfit and it's a pain. I can't imagine 3 of anything! :(
We'll be getting something else when we decide to go for #2. I :love::love::love: Subarus (and Foresters, for that matter), so we'll be checking out the Tribeca or whatever else comes along.
My uncle has an '08 CRV and the back seat doesn't look much better, but I've never tried to install anything in it.

ETA: My cousin just got a Honda Pilot that I drove over the weekend and while significantly larger than the Forester, it still got decent gas mileage and drove nicely. I have no idea what the price point is, though. Just a thought...

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I have an older (2000) CR-V, and can put a radian and my snug ride side-by-side (I don't have a seatbelt on the back passenger side, so I can't tell an actual 3 across). It's actually my signature picture. it's not fun to install, but doable. I'm not sure how that middle passenger would actually get into the seat, though, unless you picked them up and over the bucket base. Not something I could do with my leggy 3 year old, but maybe doable with a smaller kid...

earthchick

Heather, did you get your CR-V retrofitted with a shoulder belt for the middle seat to do that install? I also have a 2000 CR-V and the only thing I don't like about it is the lack of middle seat shoulder install. It's not a problem for my kiddos b/c I only have two, and they both ride outboard in MAs which doesn't leave enough room for anybody else in the center seat. But I'm about to switch to boosters which would leave enough room in the center for an additional passenger - but there's no shoulder belt, so I've been considering getting it retrofitted. We haven't had need of it in the past but might in the future, and I'm wondering how much of a pain and/or expense it might be.

wyomommyx3

I don't have a CRV, but we have a Ford Escape, (same size, great gas mileage, and it handles like a charm... we're in the mountains, and have had NO problems)

Anyways, I can get a RF Marathon, FF Nautilus, RF Safeseat... or 2 FF Nautilii and a RF Marathon/Safeseat... or a RF Safeseat, FF MA, and FF NA in there. It's snug, but it is doable if need be :)

Other than maybe Radian's, I don't know that you could get 3 across all RF'ing... but if you do 2 one way (RF) and 1 the other way, it works with a lot of seats :)

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Heather, did you get your CR-V retrofitted with a shoulder belt for the middle seat to do that install? I also have a 2000 CR-V and the only thing I don't like about it is the lack of middle seat shoulder install. It's not a problem for my kiddos b/c I only have two, and they both ride outboard in MAs which doesn't leave enough room for anybody else in the center seat. But I'm about to switch to boosters which would leave enough room in the center for an additional passenger - but there's no shoulder belt, so I've been considering getting it retrofitted. We haven't had need of it in the past but might in the future, and I'm wondering how much of a pain and/or expense it might be.

I don't... like I said, I don't have a seatbelt at all on the passenger side, and I would get that fixed first if I could. That being said, I don't think I would, since DD's Radian fits well there (I don't have a tether, but I'm OK with it). By the time DD will be in a booster, we won't have the CR-V anymore - it will surely die by then

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've never had a problem going over the Grapevine (or up and down our mountains here) in our Corolla, or in a Prius, or an Accord for that matter... I must be missing something. :shrug-shoulders:

katieinqc

We had a 2004 Forester until just recently. I don't know how similar the model years are, but I was able to install a FF Radian in the center using a couple tips I found on these boards from someone else who had done the same - we put it in the reclined position and twisted the female buckle stalk 2 or 3 times. Doing that and with some muscle, it was a nice solid install. I was able to get a RF Alpha Omega (older - DOM 2005) next to it behind the passenger. I never tried anything RF on the other side of it, but was able to fit a Monarch booster or a Graco Nautilus (both very tight fits) there and the space seemed to be about the same on both sides. Definitely use seat belt install because the LATCH positions are closer to the center.

But a couple points -
1. The AO would NOT fit FF next to the Radian because of the armrests.
2. An Evenflo Triumph (also DOM 2005) would not fit next to it either direction.
(These are the only things I tried besides the ones mentioned above that did work - just wanted to point out that even if you get a successful Radian install center you'll have to find a seat that puzzles well, and if you plan to have the car and seats a long time probably check the seats both ways.)
3. Even though you say you're both short, definitely check that you're both comfortable and the driver can drive in front of the RF seats. I'm 5'4"-5'5" and I could not drive with a RF SnugRide or AO on the driver's side. I can fit in the passenger side in front of either, but my knees nearly touched the dashboard.

I did love the Forester except for this. We just replaced with a Sienna (which I love BTW, but does get about 10 mpg less than Forester) only because we're expecting our third, #2 is outgrowing everything RF and a second FF next to the Radian was so difficult, plus we carpool to school (pretty far, so it's nice to be able to do) so being able to do 3 easily and 4 at all was important to us. Hope some of that helps!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC