2008 Toyota Highlander

U

Unregistered

Can a convertible (evenglo) Triumph go in the middle seat? I installed but it doesn sit flush on the seat. Any advice or help would be great. The baby is only 2 months old so she I believe should be in the middle. I am keeping her rear facing. I dont know if weight is a factor but she is 15 pds. THANK YOU

ADS

mommycat

Hi and welcome to c-s.org! :) I hope we can help you out. We are always happy to see parents who are going the extra steps in keeping their kids safe. :thumbsup:

I don't know anything about your specific vehicle or how it would fit together with a Triumph, but wanted to say that while the center position is statistically safer than an outboard seat, it is only safer if you can get an equally good installation in either position. If you find that you have a poor install in the center but a good install outboard, your baby will be safer outboard (using the carseat as it has been designed to be used, properly installed).

That aside, what exactly do you mean when you say it doesn't sit flush on the seat? Would you be able to post a picture of your install? That would help tremendously in making sure we understand, and we can also point out any room for improvement that you may not be aware of being an issue, like recline angle, etc. If you register (it's free) we will also be able to know which replies are yours.

I am guessing you might mean that the seat base doesn't lay flat on the vehicle seat all the way across the base, either due to the center "hump" (so the sides hang in the air a bit) or seat contouring (so the middle of the base doesn't contact the seat). Is this correct? I hope you can give us a little more detail so we can help you install your daughter's seat more securely.

U

Unregistered

Yes it contours so the edges of the car seat are on the edges of the outboard seats. Only the back of the seat sits on the middle seat of the car. Im thinking outboard is the way to go.

mommycat

Ok. It's a bit hard without a picture to make sure, but it is possible that that is still acceptable. It sounds like maybe instead of a hump like most center seats you have a hollow? As long as you have the seat in tight, with less than 1" of movement at the belt path, and at least 80% of the base depth on the seat (over it, not necessarily contacting over 80% of the surface) then you should be ok even in the center. Were you installing in the center with seatbelt or LATCH? I am not sure if your vehicle allows center LATCH, so check the vehicle manual if you try again.

Here are a couple of threads which you might find useful with regard to center installs, even though they are not exactly what you are experiencing:
http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=89972 - asking about seat tilting to side (FF)
http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=89301 - installing off-center from center

U

Unregistered

NO to the latch using the seat belt. I know it is hard to picture but its because the rear seats split so the middle seat is flush but the edges of the outboard seats sit a little higher then the middle one.

CaseyRN

I have an 04 Highlander and have installed my Marathon there before with no problem. Using the seatbelt. Once you have tightened the seat (I usually kneel in the seat) it will compress the seat down and it should be just fine. My Marathon looks like there is no way it will every fit when it is just sitting on the seat, but once it's in there and tightened it is all compressed down and a perfect fit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC