Worrisome Cocorro comments on Amazon

djc6

Worrisome Coccoro comments on Amazon

What are these 1-star reviewers on amazon talking about? Simply a case of poor installation, or is there more to it? Looking for a car seat that can be used rear-facing while providing the maximum amount of leg room up front, and the Combi Coccoro came across my radar:

Code:
http://www.amazon.com/Combi-Cocorro-Lightweight-Car-Seat/product-reviews/B001TRE216/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

EDIT: For some reason when I use the URL tag, and you click on the link, the URL gets truncated despite the full URL being encapsulated with the vBulletin URL tag. I change the URL tag to a CODE tag; copy/paste the URL to see the amazon comments.

Last edited:
ADS

Evolily

The link doesn't work.

Over 90% of people do not use their car seats correctly. The reviews I am reading on at least one Coccoro amazon listing sounds like people not knowing how to lock their seatbelts, or more generally not knowing how to properly install a child restraint.

monstah

Ummmm... I returned my Coccoro yesterday because I was very uncomfortable with the RF install. :(

My experience in an 06 Freestyle:
I had to use LATCH because the forward of the bight belts are completely incompatible with the Coccoro.

Using LATCH, it took zero effort to get the CCO to flip up. When I say zero effort, I mean if I looked at it funny it would flip up. I was reinstalling it for almost every ride. After it flips foward, it basically becomes uninstalled and could be moved around many feet in any direction.

I was actually more comfortable with DD1 FF for two days while I worked out a new 3 across configuration than I was with her in the RF CCO. :duck:

Don't worry, she is safely RF in Radian. :thumbsup: I just can't have a comfortable front seat passenger.:p

ETA: I tried using an anti-slip mat underneath the seat and another one rolled up like a pool noodle and the install was a million times better. But, I wouldn't let DD use it like that. It was just an experiment because I know that is a big No-No!

monstah

Just the rolled mat/towel/pool noodle would have been ok.

I have two of these safe fit seat grabbers. I rolled one up and used it in place of a noodle and had the second one underneath the seat. That would be OK if I otherwise had an awful install? :confused: I thought I needed to make sure to get a secure install before adding a seat gripper or similar.

If that's OK, I'm running back to Buy Buy Baby to save my Coccoro!

Pixels

Rolling one up to use in place of the noodle would be fine. It's just the grippy underneath the seat that's not okay. It can give a false sense of security. Just a pool noodle (or subsititute something else that's lightweight and not super compressable, like a rolled towel) is perfectly fine.

Maedze

Just a rolled towel/noodle, no mat under the seat. You'd be deviating *slightly* from the accepted use of the noodle, but...eh...either way you're putting a filler in the bight of the seat. Some seats really need that noodle. The comfortsport and the Scenera both come to mind.

monstah

That's what I understand, and why I returned the CCO.
One gripper rolled up in the bight wasn't enough, it needed the gripping underneath the seat.
I have leather seats in my car and the CCO would just slide around like I sprayed it with Crisco. :p

I wanted to take a quick video of it for you guys. I really wish I put forth a better effort to do that. :sorry!:

Maedze

The Coccorro has a smooth bottom, doesn't it? (I haven't played with one). That plus a leather seat could be a total death knell.

How about this...use a pool noodle/angle adjuster (the one they sell at BRU is pretty decent). Use the grippy mat under the Coccorro as a *TOOL* to get the leverage you need while you're yanking that thing in there. Once you have it snug as a bug, remove the mat. If your install is good at that point, you're fine.

Pixels

Just a rolled towel/noodle, no mat under the seat. You'd be deviating *slightly* from the accepted use of the noodle, but...eh...either way you're putting a filler in the bight of the seat. Some seats really need that noodle. The comfortsport and the Scenera both come to mind.

How is it deviating? The accepted material is lightweight (so it's not a risk as a projectile if it comes out) and non compressible. Or at least mostly non. I would think that the rolled grippy mat would fit that bill just as well as a rolled towel would. Well, I guess it could be deviating, depending on the weight of the rolled mat and your definition of "lightweight." Just thinking out loud here.

I have yet to use a pool noodle/substitute to install my ComfortSport. I just (like 5 minutes ago) installed it in the 7th different vehicle, all different makes, models, and ages. I guess I've gotten lucky.

autumnlily

I have a video on you tube - I has serious install qualms when RF... a noodle has helped tremendously and so has reclining my seat (captain chair in Sienna). It also RF in a prius with noodle and I felt comfortable with the CCO... but I often find myself 2x checking the seat. I kept the seat because it installs FF like a dream and will make any 3 across to work that I may need in a pinch.

I couldn't get it to RF safely in our Avalon. Definitely some limitations to a "safe" feeling install but a, only one, pool noodle has helped in our other cars/seats.

Maedze

How is it deviating? The accepted material is lightweight (so it's not a risk as a projectile if it comes out) and non compressible. Or at least mostly non. I would think that the rolled grippy mat would fit that bill just as well as a rolled towel would. Well, I guess it could be deviating, depending on the weight of the rolled mat and your definition of "lightweight." Just thinking out loud here.

I have yet to use a pool noodle/substitute to install my ComfortSport. I just (like 5 minutes ago) installed it in the 7th different vehicle, all different makes, models, and ages. I guess I've gotten lucky.

The deviation isn't the mat...it's using the noodle/whatever to 'fill the space' (to prevent flipping) instead of strictly for achieving proper angle.

From my perspective, either way, there is a thing in the bight of the vehicle seat. And 'flippiness' itself is not a bad install technically, as long is there is less than an inch of movement, so I wouldn't consider this using a noodle to fix a bad install. It's just an added benefit :whistle:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I have a video on you tube - I has serious install qualms when RF... a noodle has helped tremendously and so has reclining my seat (captain chair in Sienna). It also RF in a prius with noodle and I felt comfortable with the CCO... but I often find myself 2x checking the seat. I kept the seat because it installs FF like a dream and will make any 3 across to work that I may need in a pinch.

I've installed it just fine without a noodle in three cars (all leather), including the Prius.

For whatever it's worth, I've found that it actually installs better and tighter without the removable locking clip (when the belt is routed around the back). Although the manual is unclear on the issue, the Combi rep has confirmed that you can install that way. Once the seatbelt is routed around the back of the seat, it doesn't budge, IME. (Since it's not expressly in the manual as being approved, proceed at your own risk.)

When I say it "doesn't budge," I'm referring to side-to-side movement at the belt path. For the upward rotation, yes, it loosens very easily if you actually push the shell up toward the back of the vehicle, but I haven't found it to loosen on its own or through regular use.

I do realize that vehicles can vary. For the record, I have installed it in a Prius, Pilot, and Odyssey (captain's chair).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The deviation isn't the mat...it's using the noodle/whatever to 'fill the space' (to prevent flipping) instead of strictly for achieving proper angle.

Didn't we have a thread where a Combi rep specifically approved a noodle for this use with this seat?

Maedze

Didn't we have a thread where a Combi rep specifically approved a noodle for this use with this seat?

Clearly I'm not being coherent today :p

Regs. allow the use of a noodle for rear facing child seats to correctly achieve the appropriate rearfacing angle.

No where do recs allow using a noodle to address a flippiness problem.

See what I'm getting at? :p

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

Regs. allow the use of a noodle for rear facing child seats to correctly achieve the appropriate rearfacing angle.

Yes, and didn't a Combi rep specifically come on this forum and say that a pool noodle could be used to address the flippiness? I'm looking right now but I have "help." ;)

autumnlily

The manual states it's okay to use a noodle to achieve angle. However, getting the right angle isn't a problem IMO... it's super super easy to get a good angle (I find a full 45 degrees feels upright enough to keep my three girls happy, if I try to install with a lesser degree the "flippiness" issue starts to persist).

I have to use the noodle to address 'my' comfort level with the flippiness issue.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC