Question Hypothetically....

Mirandagrate

So... if someone were hypothetically thinking of buying a carseat from an overseas country and that carseat didn't have a 5-point harness, could one hypothetically purchase a chest clip from that same company in the states and then thread it onto the seat with the 3-point harness? Hypothetically speaking, that is.....

ADS

ajanes

Hypothetically, I have no idea I'll let a tech weigh in on that. But, I thought the chest clip didn't have anything to do with making a seat 5 point. I thought for the most part chest clips were added in the US but not really necessary from a safety standpoint. I thought the five points- are 2 shoulders, 2 thigh/hips & 1 crotch. Am I wrong?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hypothetically, I have no idea I'll let a tech weigh in on that. But, I thought the chest clip didn't have anything to do with making a seat 5 point. I thought for the most part chest clips were added in the US but not really necessary from a safety standpoint. I thought the five points- are 2 shoulders, 2 thigh/hips & 1 crotch. Am I wrong?

You are correct. A 5 point harness has 2 points at the hips, a 3 point does not. 3 points are not as safe (not safe at all forward-facing), a chest clip won't make it a 5 point, and is there a reason you can't use one from your own country?

Mirandagrate

Thanks for the replies! I have a lot to learn still I guess! Now thinking about it, it makes sense. So, the chest clip doesn't really make it any safer?

Mirandagrate

Ok, now looking at pictures again, I get it where you say that the 5 point is the hips, crotch and shoulders. Thanks again!

Maedze

No. A chest clip is not a crash device. It is merely to accomodate for the fact that very few American parents tighten the harness correctly, increasing the chance that it will be out of position in a crash. The chest clip somewhat aligns the harness in the correct position so that the child at least is less likely to be ejected.

If the harness is properly adjusted and tightened, the chest clip is irrelevant.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
What was the hypothetical seat in question?

I'm thinking it wasn't really a 3-pt seat, it was a 5-pt with no chest clip, and the op just didn't realize the chest clip does not constitute any of the 5 points, therefore she thought it was a 3 point seat. Probably one of the swedish ERF seats. But that's just my guess.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Also, those hypothetical car seats, have straps that are too wide for a chest clip.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Also, those hypothetical car seats, have straps that are too wide for a chest clip.

Hasn't AD said that in Sweden, they sell chest clips as an aftermarket accessory, for parents whose kids are escaping without one?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Hmmm, not sure. They have to be different than ours. Will go find my pic.

ETA:

IMG_8550.jpg

I guess it could go really low.

HEVY

Are those strap covers the reason they stay put? I thought I read that they are some type of material that kind of "sticks" to the clothing? They look comfy.

Mirandagrate

I'm thinking it wasn't really a 3-pt seat, it was a 5-pt with no chest clip, and the op just didn't realize the chest clip does not constitute any of the 5 points, therefore she thought it was a 3 point seat. Probably one of the swedish ERF seats. But that's just my guess.

This.... I'm still learning :eek:

Austins-mama

when we lived in the UK we had a british seat. I couldn't even tell you which one now - it was a cheap convertable back up to go in the british car. We did buy a chest clip as an aftermarket product because even with the harness properly tightened he could escape.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC