how horrid is a frontier to install truely?

I sat both girls in one today (Julianna was so mad but she still had room above her shoulders at the top slot!:eek: which she did not have in the radian (her shoulders were above the top slot in that)

I then sat Fiona in one and she had tons of space.. I am thinking of maybe getting one for when she is ffing (I think on her fourth b day we will ff her and that will be that)

It looked like latch was easy, but latch will only get us so far, we will need to install with seat belt after she reached 48 lbs so how is that install with seat belt? is it going to be rocket science? it looks very awkward.

ADS

Mama Jo

Of all the seats I own, my FN is my fave. :love:

It's very easy to install in my Sedona, but I can do long belt path and use the recline in the captain's chairs to help.

What kind of car do you have?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
It depends on the car as to how hard it is. My 7yo has installed her own Frontier in my Armada, my mom's Lincoln, and my dad's F350. I'm sure she could do it in some other cars as well, but those are the one's she's tried. If you have seat belts long enough for LBP it's a piece of cake. SBP can be more tricky, about the same level of difficulty as a Radian really, but it's not the horror that people make it out to be.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's not as easy as a Britax convertible, but it's not too totally bad, once you figure out the installation (if the belt is literally too short, which is rare, that can be heartbreaking, but otherwise, the LBP is only hard to do the first couple times till you learn it :thumbsup:)

babygirlsmom1005

I installed it rock solid in my 92 Suburban SBP with no problems at all (once I figured out LBP was not going to work at all - the belts were just too short for that).

canadiangie

I did battle with two FN's in a 1997 Cavalier a while back and it was quite honestly the most horrendous install I've ever done. Belts weren't long enough to do LBP, and the bulky metal/plastic [locking] latchplates that normally don't interfere too much with installation (and can even be quite nice to work with actually), made things nearly impossible doing SBP. Then add in twisted belt stalks to shorten, and well, let's just say it was pretty special. ;)

Of course with all seats, it tends to come down to the vehicle you're using.. so my experience is likely irrelevant to your situation.

Mama Jo

I do have one seating location in my van where every install is horrid. But even if that were the only place I could put my FN, it would still be my fave seat, despite the difficulty of install. So for me, it wouldn't matter if the install was a piece of cake or a PITA... I love the seat that much, as does my DD. She's ridden in the GN, RN, Turbo, Vivo, EFTA, and the FN, and I asked her if she could only keep one seat, which she would pick, and she didn't hesitate to say the FN. The seat is wide enough and deep enough that she can comfortably pull up her legs and sit cross-legged; it's reclined just enough that when she falls asleep, she stays within the headwings; and the back is straight, as opposed to the GN, where the headrest sticks out a little bit. Did I mention we love this seat??

I have a mercury monteray minivan, it was only made for a year and it is the only one I have actually ever seen lol. Anyways, the back seat which is bench, is useless with seatbelt, I swear for some reason any seat I install back there pulls 4 inches towards me no matter what I try, I do have latch in the center back there. The two midrow are captains chairs, and they are ok to install with and I can recline them if need be.

Can someone show me pics of the long belt path.. also what do you recommend more, the frontier or the regent?

ravekiss

Here's a site that has step by step pictorial instructions for the LBP and the Britax Video showing how to do it, along with some pics of a trial install I did in my car (2002 Grand Cherokee):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31511855@N03/sets/72157608181078773/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uuovrWhQp0"]YouTube - Britax Frontier: Installation Using Vehicle Lap/Shoulder Belt; Long Path[/ame]

DSC01406.jpg

DSC01404.jpg

DSC01405.jpg

DSC01401.jpg

DSC01402.jpg

DSC01396.jpg

Here's a site that has step by step pictorial instructions for the LBP and the Britax Video showing how to do it, along with some pics of a trial install I did in my car (2002 Grand Cherokee):
ok so that is ok now with Frontier right? I knew it was approved with Regent.. also what weight child does the long belt path work for?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mama Jo

ok so that is ok now with Frontier right? I knew it was approved with Regent.. also what weight child does the long belt path work for?

The belt path options on the frontier don't have weight limits. The only weight limit on type of install is for LATCH (obviously). So you can use the LBP as long as it works in your van and as long as she fits in the seat.

now what goes to fund it??? lol I have a radian 80, a marathon, a my ride 65, and a true fit, the one that makes the most sense to loose is the true fit but I really really like it same with the marathon and my ride haha.. those make less sense to get ride of... hmmm the radian makes the most sense to keep but... well, I like it less than the others... hmmmmmmmmmm

skaterbabs

In my Suburban it's a PITA. In the IL's Avalanche it's a breeze. I think it just depends on how firm the vehicle seat is and the seatbelt configuration.

I installed it rock solid in my 92 Suburban SBP with no problems at all (once I figured out LBP was not going to work at all - the belts were just too short for that).

That interesting; my suburban is a '93 and Jools, Spash and I all worked at getting it in. Splash was the miracle worker that finally made it work. :p

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
In my Suburban it's a PITA. In the IL's Avalanche it's a breeze. I think it just depends on how firm the vehicle seat is and the seatbelt configuration.

That interesting; my suburban is a '93 and Jools, Spash and I all worked at getting it in. Splash was the miracle worker that finally made it work. :p

I put the FN in a 90 "burban with no problem, both SBP in center and LBP outboard. LBP needed someone to hold the lap-belt (separate retractors/ ALR lap-belt) to keep it from retracting before I was ready, but otherwise it was a piece of cake. I have pics in my profile album if you want to look. Maybe the difference was captain's chairs vs bench?

skaterbabs

Couldn't do LBP - not enough belt. It finally went in in the center position of the 2nd row bench, but it was a two-person install. I haven't tried the 3rd row.

Mama Jo

now what goes to fund it??? lol I have a radian 80, a marathon, a my ride 65, and a true fit, the one that makes the most sense to loose is the true fit but I really really like it same with the marathon and my ride haha.. those make less sense to get ride of... hmmm the radian makes the most sense to keep but... well, I like it less than the others... hmmmmmmmmmm

I'd get rid of the RN... that way you can justify buying another RN someday if they ever test to 45 lbs rf. lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC