Do we want an Ergo?

NannyMom

So, we had a snuggli for BabyS. She seems too big. And it doesn't seem she can face out like she likes to. We also have a Sleepy wrap. We love it, but it's hot in the summer, and takes a little time to do it up. I was looking at carriers at BRU the other day. They all seemed the same to me (like baby Bjorn, chicco, jeep), but good. I even tried BabyS in one, and she could face forward just fine :) I wasn't a fan of the slings (peanut shell I think?), and neither was BabyS.

I was mentioning this to MomBoss today. She said at the park she saw an Ergo and loved it. But....it does't look like it can face forward? Baby is always facing you (on your front, back, side).

MomBoss will be buying it, so money is not a huge factor (though less is definitely better). But she's willing to invest in something nice.

BabyS is 18.5 pounds, 6 months, and 90th percentile for length (can't remember the size). And she wants to be held.... all.the.time.

ADS
Ergo is a great choice, Facing out is not a great option for a baby when being worn anyways, but honestly if you really had to you could froggy their legs inside the carrier and face them out..

you will find ergo to be WAY comfier than a bjorn, or snugglie, and even a pouch carrier, I am a wrapper for the most part myself, with an occasional Mei tai for fast trips.

Have you considered a wrap? perhaps start with a moby and see if you like it?

Mama Jo

Facing out is not a great option for a baby when being worn anyways

Why is that?? :confused: Elias throws a fit if I try and face him toward me. The closest I can get is if I wear him on my hip. But he isn't happy there for very long and when he decides he's done, he just throws himself backward, so I really have to be careful with him. He's very happy facing foward on my front, and he'll stay content for a long time like that... but he's not happy facing toward me on the front or if I try to put him on my back he pulls my hair out.

BananaBoat

We have the Bjorn Active with the lumbar support. It's great. But at 21 lbs, she's getting mighty heavy for a front carrier (and close to the weight limits). I have also been looking at the Ergo and curious at the responses....

southernbell

ok, i love love love my ergos, i have a few, but there is one other great option out there for a soft structured carrier if you like to face your baby out, it is normally very similiar to an ergo but it gives you the option to cinch the bottom area together and then you can face your baby forward

http://63.247.132.129/~closmcom/catalog.php?category=46

in the picture you can see the little adjuster in the front hanging down if you pull it tighter it makes the area in the crotch area narrower so you can face them out

just wanted to show you that because if you choose to carry facing out its a great option, but i don't know what i would do without my ergos:love:

NannyMom

Ergo is a great choice, Facing out is not a great option for a baby when being worn anyways, but honestly if you really had to you could froggy their legs inside the carrier and face them out..

you will find ergo to be WAY comfier than a bjorn, or snugglie, and even a pouch carrier, I am a wrapper for the most part myself, with an occasional Mei tai for fast trips.

Have you considered a wrap? perhaps start with a moby and see if you like it?

We have a wrap. The Sleepy Wrap, which is like the Moby. But it's hot for the summertime. All that extra fabric. And I always feel like I'm constantly tightening it.
We have the Bjorn Active with the lumbar support. It's great. But at 21 lbs, she's getting mighty heavy for a front carrier (and close to the weight limits). I have also been looking at the Ergo and curious at the responses....

She's 18.5. I'm hoping after she gets more mobile her explorer will come out and her clinginess will lessen.

henrietta

Personally, I find the Beco a lot more comfy (tried a friends), but I was given an Ergo. It works great, baby loves it, but I'm not as comfortable as I was in the Beco. I think I'd like that Piccolo or a Baby Hawk better. My friend who gave me her Ergo LOVED it and used it daily for months with her dd and sometimes w/my son.

henrietta

southernbell

Why is that?? :confused: Elias throws a fit if I try and face him toward me. The closest I can get is if I wear him on my hip. But he isn't happy there for very long and when he decides he's done, he just throws himself backward, so I really have to be careful with him. He's very happy facing foward on my front, and he'll stay content for a long time like that... but he's not happy facing toward me on the front or if I try to put him on my back he pulls my hair out.

there was i think an article or study saying that facing them out was bad for their hips or something, a carrier like an ergo kind of cradles there whole bum, but when you face them out they don't get the same little seat, but i am not sure one way or the other if it was ever actually proven, i would say, if your baby likes to be worn that way it must not be bothering them that much, i have never used a carrier that could face out they just don't look very comfortable to me

WhatAboutPuppy

The argument for the bjorn style carriers is that basically you're hanging your child by his crotch. His chubby legs pull his hips down... the Ergo and Beco carry the baby by the thighs, like you (a human) do, supporting everything thing from one knee to the other.
The reason for having them face in is the theory that an infant looks to you for how to react to a situation, if they're facing out they can't read your face. Also another part of the theory is if things become overwhelming and they're facing out, they can't turn away, if something gets loud or the situation gets crowded they can't turn away, if they're tired and want to snuggle in, they're stuck hanging off the front of you like they're velcro'd to a wall.

In my opinion. lol :whistle:

I love my Ergo.

NannyMom

The argument for the bjorn style carriers is that basically you're hanging your child by his crotch. His chubby legs pull his hips down... the Ergo and Beco carry the baby by the thighs, like you (a human) do, supporting everything thing from one knee to the other.
The reason for having them face in is the theory that an infant looks to you for how to react to a situation, if they're facing out they can't read your face. Also another part of the theory is if things become overwhelming and they're facing out, they can't turn away, if something gets loud or the situation gets crowded they can't turn away, if they're tired and want to snuggle in, they're stuck hanging off the front of you like they're velcro'd to a wall.

In my opinion. lol :whistle:

I love my Ergo.

But what about the babies that would rather twist their heads around backwards to see forward? Like BabyS :whistle:

Mama Jo

But what about the babies that would rather twist their heads around backwards to see forward? Like BabyS :whistle:

That's how Elias is. lol. He's not a cuddler. He doesn't even like to be rocked to sleep. He'd rather see what's going on in front of him than look at me. He even throws a fit in the grocery cart and tries to turn around so he can see where we're going. Sometimes I just have to give in and put him in the basket instead of the seat because of the way he twists himself around and tries to climb out of the seat... the basket has to be safer. And no way could I wear him in the store. Since he has to face outward or he throws a fit, he'd be pulling things off the shelves and throwing them on the floor. I'd never survive. lol

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member

When Z started doing that, I started putting him in a MT up high on my back so that he could see over my shoulder. Perfect for me and him. I have a Babyhawk with the headrest thing, so it was even good for him when he got sleepy. That's how I still carry him and it's still comfy. I have played around with the idea of an Ergo, but it looks like it sits so low, you can't adjust it up higher like you can with an MT. I think Z would hate not being able to see over my shoulder. And, I do have a Beco. It is very comfy on my front, but it's a shoulder killer when on my back. I just can't do back carries with it, but I do still carry Z (at 1 yr and 25 lbs) in it on my front facing me, especially when he's tired and snuggly.

WhatAboutPuppy

I don't know how it would do for someone who has to look out. My step son is fine looking out while on my back in the Ergo. He's just now at 21 months starting to get mad if you stop for too long to hangout... he wants to get down and play. Not that he can't see anything though, just that there's things he can see that he wants! lol
When he's tired he loves a back carry and to snuggle into me... I can't do a front carry anymore with him he's 31 pounds!

tweetykl

I love my Ergo.
PeterErgo.jpg

This is ds when he was almost 2 and was 38 lbs. I wore him until I was 12 weeks pregnant with dd. That was later that summer.

cpsaddict

I love my Ergo. I find it comfier than the Beco, which I have tried. The only thing I don't like is that I cannot face her out. My Ergo is starting to work really well now. I tried her with the infant insert and I think I was going to implode. Holy hot baby! Her legs are long enough now she can just sit in.

Oh no, I really like that Pikkolo. DH nearly had a stroke that I spend $75 on my Ergo, so I think he may really freak at the price of the Pikkolo.

abigaylebelle

I love the ergo! Ds and Dh also really like it. I bought it when X was about 9 months old. I usually wear him on the front but his afro is starting to tickle my chin so it's either time for a haircut or he needs to spend more time on my back. If baby S likes to see forward she would probably really like the hip or back carry. I find the ergo highly adjustable which is great to adjust X higher or lower on my body depending on my activity.

mom2threeboys

I have to say that I am SO in love with my pikkolo:love:! I tried the Ergo on and my guy screamed and had bad red marks on his legs..maybe we didn't have it on correct? We had help with from a lady that owns a sling/carrier shop. We also tried on the becco. Neither compared to the pikkolo in my opinion. I love the memory foam in the straps. I can carry him hours daily with no pain. I love that it has a crotch adjuster so chubby legs are not rubbed. We mostly wear it with him facing my chest. We do back carry and forward facing occasionally too. It is very easy to get him in the back carry. He loves the carrier. He gets so excited when he sees it. I purchased it when he was 6 months. He is now 12 months/ 18 lbs. One thing I liked over the becco is that there isn't anything between him and I..no extra fabric.

http://catbirdbaby.com/shop/babycarrier_2/pikkolo-soft-structured-baby-carrier.htm

I don't know how I would manage without this carrier..I use it for shopping, cleaning, cooking non dangerous foods, walking kids to school, everything!:D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC