depressing, but it brought me perspective on my own kids safety

autumnlily

I couldn't even post about it last night - I was angry, empathatic and just wishing I could of helped...

At the grocery store - in the car next to me was a crying infant in her bucket seat...used correctly. (2 adult women in front seat), but then I saw this little bobbing head. It was a child no older than 1.5 years old, asleep in a regular seat belt. No booster, no child seat. I didn't notice him at first b/c the three year old bouncing around the back seat caught my eye... as he didn't have a seat either. A pre-teen was loading the groceries in the trunk of the car and put her cart between our vehicles and I asked her to move it - the entire family didn't speak an ounce of English and although I can understand some Russian, I can't speak it.

I seriously looked at the 4 seats in my van and would have simply given them one if I believed they would use it - I was so sad for the two unrestrained children... and then it got worse, the pre-teen loaded herself in the backseat and buckled herself in while the 3 year-old sat on the floor between her feet.

There was no law enforcement officer to be seen ... and I knew they saw me staring at the lack of seats, it was a slow motion horror flick without a decent ending.

Simply, the guilt of turning my oldest DD FF at one year old (before I encouraged myself to know better :eek:) has completely faded. I will no longer beat myself up about it after seeing these two babies unrestrained completely in their car.

ADS

Mama!

For real. If I could afford it, I would keep seats in my van to give away in parking lots.:(

AtTheSouthDam

For real. If I could afford it, I would keep seats in my van to give away in parking lots.:(

I've had this thought too but then I picture my free seat then being sold on craig's list because I'm not sure they entirely understand the need for a child restraint. I get the police involved for unrestrained children and give away seats to replace expired ones.

waterbaby

I, too, sometimes wish I could drive the SafeKids van around and hand out seats as needed.

:( In those situations (pending the communication barrier), I never hesitate to call the HP and report unrestrained children. A quick glance at the make/model/color of the car and where they're headed is a simple start. I've never been snorted or sighed at over the phone. Could save those little ones' lives.

ETA: There have been a couple of times the non-emergency number hasn't connected, but 911 has. And again, no huffiness or heavy sighs from the dispatchers at all.

skylinphoto

I called 911 in the past (3 kiddos in the back seat, all looked under 4 yrs, unrestrained..and a baby on drivers lap too!) and they didn't have any prob with me calling.
I just called with the license plate number and the direction they went.

I always try to call when I see things like that.

It's so sad to see kids in such a dangerous position like that..especially when you see the parents or others buckled up safely. :(

i call as well, but sometimes it's pointless. I've physically seen a few pulled over because of my call or signalling an officer, but I've also had some that nothing was done about it. they can't catch them if they are moving. it's just not gonna happen. So, I generlaly call when I think there is a chance someone will show up or if I find a cop nearby (like the time I talked to an officer in another lane at a red light so he could pull over the car a few cars behind him... passenger was holding a newborn baby in her lap with one hand and eating fried chicken with the other!!!). I saw the cop pull them over and a couple other.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC