Complete Air shell height is 27"

Mommy0608

:thumbsup::D

I asked on the Safety 1st facebook page and they answered this morning. The interior shell height, to the top of the headrest in the highest position, is 27" which is the same as the True Fit, but since this seat can be used to the TOP of the seat instead of 1" below, it will actually last longer RF by height and weight than any other US convertible on the market... assuming the information is correct.

WOOHOO!!! :love:

EDITED TO ADD: For clarification, I want to mention that the manufacturer says the seat may be used RF as long as the top of the child's head is not above the top of the headrest AND the child is under 40". Many of us here are okay with using a seat to the physical limits vs. the stated overall height limit. However, this does go against the manufacturer's recommendation. I will never tell anyone to go against the manufacturer's limits... that is a decision every parent has to make for their own child.

Last edited:
ADS

SavsMom

Thats great :thumbsup:
I wonder how easy it will be to install? For some reason I just think that $250+ for a Dorel seat is crazy (not that they don't make a good seat)....am I the only one?

Mommy0608

It is a bit more than I'd like to pay, but they put a lot of work into testing the new air protect technology at a highly reputable facility and the seat is made in the USA. Assuming it's well-made, then it's probably a fair price.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
So, it actually says that you can use the seat to the top of the shell for RF? I thought people were saying it had a 40" RF height limit? Which yes, I realize all 40" kids fit differently so the height should be a guideline, BUT I thought someone here had called and asked and had either spoken to a CSR who was CPST and was told that the 40" was absolute and it didn't matter the torso height (once your kid was 40", they must be flipped was the gist of the answer given I believe)?

Hopefully I'm remembering wrong and it says top of shell for RF! :thumbsup: (although if it doesn't RF to 40 pounds in Canada, it makes no difference to me, but will for others).

Mommy0608

Well, yes, you're right... I should have clarified that. The seat does specify a 40" limit for RF. They say it can be used as long as the top of the child's head is not above the top of the headrest AND the child is under 40". It's a parental decision about whether you want to go against that stated limit and use the seat to the top of the headrest, regardless of overall height. Weight limits, of course, are absolute. Just want to cover all the bases for anyone who may be reading. ;)

I'd be very curious to find out exactly why they state a 40" limit.

firemomof3

Thats great to hear!! Thanks for finding out that info :D I think that $250 is a little hight but then again; its made in the usa, 8year life span (right?), 40lbs. rf and tall top harness slot w/50lb ff, side impact....I'm so excited :love:

Jennifer mom to my 7

Sunshine kids also says that their forward facing standing height limit is absolute also.

40 inches is a 50th percentile 4 year old boy, and a 50th percentile 5 year old girl. Or, a 3 year old girl or boy over the 90th percentile, so barring any really huge torsos, this seat will last most children to at least 3 or 4 rear facing:thumbsup:

And isn't the standard price of an eddie bauer 3 in 1 like 189 dollars? I have heard of many a people spending 200 dollars on a 3 in 1.

I need this seat, and need to try my 40+ inch, just about 40 pound (unclothed) 3.5 year old in it. That 27 inches is fabulous!

myliljunebugs

Hmmmm....what kind of diet would be acceptable for a 4 year old:eek::p:D:cool!:If my kid was lighter I would be ALL over that! What a fantastic seat from the sounds of it!

jb5416

My 2 year, 4 month old is 39.5 inches but weighs only about 32 lbs. I was hoping to get him a Complete Air to keep him rf longer. I guess I'm out of luck. Bummer.
Jessie

Mommy0608

Sunshine kids also says that their forward facing standing height limit is absolute also.

40 inches is a 50th percentile 4 year old boy, and a 50th percentile 5 year old girl. Or, a 3 year old girl or boy over the 90th percentile, so barring any really huge torsos, this seat will last most children to at least 3 or 4 rear facing:thumbsup:

And isn't the standard price of an eddie bauer 3 in 1 like 189 dollars? I have heard of many a people spending 200 dollars on a 3 in 1.

I need this seat, and need to try my 40+ inch, just about 40 pound (unclothed) 3.5 year old in it. That 27 inches is fabulous!

Jessica is 39" at 3 years old, 88th percentile but only 29lbs clothed. She has long legs though and a relatively short torso. She has several inches over her head in the True Fit so she'd have a lot of growing room in this new seat. I reeeally want to get this seat for her, but want to find out exactly WHY they state a 40" limit regardless of torso height. It just doesn't make much sense to me if leg length doesn't matter. :shrug-shoulders:

Speaking of leg length, now we need to find out the leg room!

Mama!

If I went by the inches measurements on seats, my kids would be out of seats in no time.

We use the physical guidelines..1 inch below or whatever the manufacturer states for RF, to top of ears for FF, the usual.

DahliaRW

Awesome! I am SOOOOOOOOO happy to know that I'll have an option to keep my long-torsoed ds rfing once he hits 33lbs in his radian. I'll be weighing him obsessively and order one of these when he hits a little over 32 provided the radian isn't out to 40lbs by then (I really do think I'd prefer that seat). Personally, I'm ok going over the 40" thing. But, really, at nearly 2 he's 36" and nearly all torso. I doubt he'll grow more than a couple of inches in the next year, and I bet I could get him to at least 3 1/2 until he hits 40". I think my 4yo hit 40 right before 4, and then had a growth spurt and hit 42", but he was over 40lbs by then anyways.

Mommy0608

I've always gone by the physical limits as well, but Safety 1st says the 40" is absolute. This definitely has me curious, but I just can't imagine that a 41" child with a short torso would be endangered in the seat rear-facing, as long as his head isn't over the top and he's within the weight limit.

I'll be getting one of these for Tyler and possibly Jessica, depending on what I find out about why they state the 40" limit. If I can't get any convincing info from them on exactly WHY I shouldn't put a 40"+ child in the seat rear-facing, then I'll be getting one for her as well.

abigaylebelle

I was just wondering, how is the absolute height limit for the air different than the height limit for infant seats? In the safeseat manual it says do not use with a child who exceeds 81cm/32". Is Dorel firmer about this then? Like, absolutely do not use after 40"?

Anstar

27"!!! Wow! Now, to go back and look at those videos and see how it fits in cars rf... How much room do you supose it takes up front to back, being so tall?

fyrfightermomma

Im pretty sure most seats have "absolute" heights. They usually say something like "if shoulders hit top slots OR child is above 42 inches discontinue the seat" or something like that. My Young Sport according to it's manual has absolutes as well- "discontinue harness for a child weighing over 40 lbs or over 40 inches". For booster it says "do not use for a child taller than 57 inches" Sound pretty absolute to me! I bet if you called they'd stick to that. We never seemed to go by height limits before and im confused why suddenly everyone is. Most seats have the same rules and i bet if u called they'd say it was absolute. I was under the impression ALL seats had to have height limits due to regulations. But thats never stopped us before from going past that. Otherwise we'd all stop using infant seats at 4 months old KWIM?

You just gotta do what you are comfortable with, whether it's guidelines set by the manufacturer or well known facts from research of crashes and seats.

Last edited:

christineka

The avenue has a height limit of 36 inches to rf. I contacted dorel and they confirmed that 36 inches was the absolute tallest a kid could be to rf in the avenue. My dd is 37 inches tall, 31 pounds, and has 5 inches above her head. I asked here and everyone said they would go ahead and use the seat till the head was one inch from the top of the shell or dd reaches 35 pounds regardless of her height. Not sure why so many are worried about his absolute height limit on a new seat. Oh, and dorel had told me the child's head could be even with the shell, but everyon here told me they'd stick with the 1 inch rule anyway. (Not that it really matters with my short torsoed kids anyway, since they outgrow seats by weight before height.)

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I agree with everyone who has mentioned that other seats have similar "absolute" stated height limits. I wouldn't hesitate to use this seat RFing with my own kid who otherwise fits in the seat simply because my kid was over 40".

Last edited:

Mommy0608

I'm most likely going to get one for Jessica anyway, even though she's already 39" because she has a LOT of room above her head. I just found it odd that Safety 1st is sooo adamant that we stick to the 40" limit. I thought others had called other companies and were told that it was okay to exceed as long as they physically fit (1" rule, etc.) My best guess is that it wasn't tested with a taller child, so they can't say for sure that it's okay. Knowing what we know about how children fit in seats and that all children are different size-wise, my personal decision is to go ahead and use it until the physical limits are reached (weight limit or top of head rule).

We have to be careful what we tell other parents though. The fact is that Safety 1st DOES have a rule, and parents need to know that as well as the option to exceed it as long as their child physically fits. We can't really tell someone that they SHOULD use a seat past that... it's the right of every parent to make that choice for their own family. All we can do is educate on the options, and then it's up to the parent.

That said, unless there is really compelling evidence that a 40"+ child is in danger in this seat rear-facing, then I will choose use it above that limit as long as my child's head is contained appropriately and she is under the weight limit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC