Vent Too many changes

Anstar

This past two weeks, I have put DS1, DS2, and DS3 all RF after FF from age 1. I bought a new Radian that I love but dislike the install. I flipped DS1 back FF cuz his weight fluctuates between 33-35 lbs and my seat has a 35lb RF limit. Then DH bought me a new Suburban, and I reinstalled all my seats there. Then I read that seat protectors aren't safe, after using them for the past 5 years without qualms. So I took those out.
DH is MAD about not using the seat protectors. He loves his brand new leather seats, and doesn't want them to get so much as a scratch. He has also said that he wanted somthing to go on the seatbacks now since the RF kids put their dirty feet/shoes on the seatback.
Now he's telling me that while he trusts what I say that it is safer to RF (DS2 is 2.5 and DS3 is 1), he does not like it at ALL because he thinks its a PITA to put them in backwards. I think he's letting all the other changes affect his judgement in that area, because I don't think it's necessarily harder to put the kids in RF. (Though I think the seat installs are harder RF than FF, IMO).
:eek: I want my kids to be safe, but I don't want to cause problems either. I admit that I have had fun making some of these changes, but I'm just not convicted on the seat protectors issue. How bad are seat protectors? How can a thin towel really protect a seat from scratchs and rips? (The Touriva is so sharp on the bottom) If it comes down to it, is it better to give up on the seat protectors issue to maintain a firm stance on the RFing?

ADS

oxeye

You can use thin shelf liner under the car seats. I never had issues with seats damaging my leather, though.

Do you have captains chairs? I put a big t-shirt on the back of the captains chair to protect the seat from dirty shoes with bigger RF kids.

Wish I could help more. Good job on turning them back RF! :thumbsup:

Jessie78

(FAK so will keep it short.)

What about a thin towel instead? I think I've read that recommended on here.

I use one straight across the vehicle seat, plus another towel on the back for DDs feet.

Maedze

Shelf liner is actually more likely than not to melt on leather seats and create a solidified, gooey, non-removeable mass. :eek:

OP, you can use something like a very thin towel. An old pillow case might also do the trick. It's also ok to drape a sheet/towel/old t-shirt on the back of the vehicle seat to protect it from shod feet :)

Thick commercial seat protectors are generally not safe as they alter the install and create the impression of a correct install when it really isn't safe.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I wouldn't use shelf liner. It can melt on to leather, and ruin it. About the car seat protectors, try this, install with it, then, while not letting the seat belt move, undo the seat belt and take the protector out. Re buckle the seat belt. How much movement do you have side to side?

When I did it, I had a good 3". So, that thing will conpress, and your great install, just isn't as great.

Pixels

It's no longer recommended to use shelf liner on seats. It can melt into your leather, and I'm sure that's not what you're going for. Also, shelf liner can give a false sense of tightness to an install.

Using a tshirt on captain's chairs is a good idea. So is the one to put towels under the seats. Just make sure you don't interfere with the Radian's "toes" going into the vehicle seat bight (crack between the seat bottom and back) if you're using the Radian RFing. If your seats have adjustable headrests, you can place a towel over the back of the seat, making holes in the towel for the legs on the adjustable headrests. In my sedan without adjustable headrests, but with fold-down seat backs, I was able to trap the towel between the seat back and the rear deck, being careful not to interfere with the seat locking mechanism. It was harder to get the seat to lock into place, and took several tries.

Depending on what seat protector you have, you might be able to use it safely. Here's how to check. Install your seats with the seat protector, as tight as you can get them. Mark the belt somehow, such as with a pencil or piece of chalk. Don't worry, you'll be able to get your mark off later. Then take the seat protector out, and reinstall to your mark. Check to see if the seat is tight enough (less than one inch of movement at the belt path). If it is, great, put your seat protector back in and feel comfortable using it. Make sure you get it reinstalled to your mark. If not, your seat protector is too thick and is interfering with your install.

An alternative way to test would be to install the seat without the seat protector first, aiming to be just under one inch of movement. Then mark the belt, put in the seat protector, and see if you can get the belt tightened to the mark. If you can't get the belt at least as tight, it's not a good install.

Anstar

I have two rear bench seats. Personally, I would rather have them dirty up the leather a bit and then clean it later, but I can really see a rock or a piece of glass or who knows what stuck in the bottom of their shoes and then shredding the seats. I guess I can ask DH if he prefers a sheet/towel in a coordinating color (might as well try to keep it looking nice) or if he'd rather go without. Maybe if he gets to make a choice he can feel better about it (sounds a little like what I do with the kids, hmm).
I should try installing the seat with the mat, marking it, then installing it without. Maybe that will convince DH (and me) that it really is safer without.

henrietta

I used a fabric "kick protector" made to use w/forward facing carseats on the seat back w/our rearfacing car seats. It works fine, does the exact thing as a t-shirt or towel in the same place, and matches the car's interior (dh's interior is black, so used a black one, but I saw beige and grey ones also). We also use a very thin seat protector--I only found two that were as thin as towels or shelf liner--so that's what we have.

GL! And good for you for turning them back around!

henrietta

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Honestly, I'm at the end of doing an experiment with seat protectors and with the exception of a couple, I didn't have a problem with them. However, I will say that they don't protect your vehicle seat from indentation if you do a proper installation. I was using a Scenera--it's sharp on the bottom just like your Touriva--and it still left dents through the fabulous seat protectors. If you must use a seat protector, use something like this one: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2507937 . But be aware that it's only going to protect from crumbs, though the one I linked to has vinyl on the other side so it may protect from liquids as well.

I'll post my results on the blog later this week.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I should try installing the seat with the mat, marking it, then installing it without. Maybe that will convince DH (and me) that it really is safer without.

This is what I recommend doing, and honestly, I find I can get identical installs with most seat protectors (as long as they are somewhat flexible, the hard tray king never work) it just takes a little more UUMMPH to make it happen.

IMO it's not the seat protectors that cause a problem, it's people not taking the extra step to make sure the seat protector doesn't mess things up.

Pixels

Honestly, I'm at the end of doing an experiment with seat protectors and with the exception of a couple, I didn't have a problem with them. However, I will say that they don't protect your vehicle seat from indentation if you do a proper installation.

The one that I used to use, was installed with a lap-only belt with a tail. The seat was super tight with the seat protector. If anything it was too tight (I think the webbing of the seatbelt got stretched :whistle:). I took the seat protector out, and the seat was way too loose. And the vehicle seat still had dents, too. I wonder if I happened to have one of the ones that you found to be bad, or if it varies a lot based on vehicle and carseat combination. I'm looking forward to your blog posting.

Anstar

This is all very interesting. DH suggested that part of the reason seat protectors aren't recommended is probably due to higher user-error on the part of parents looking for a quick fix. He's convinced that if I can get the seats in rock solid without a mat and up to an inch is allowed, then there's no way there can be that much difference with a mat. ? I'll have to give it a good try tomorrow when I have the energy. :)
FWIW, I won't use a mat with the Radian, except to have something to cover the seat back from shoes. That install is tough enough without any extras, I don't really want to mess with the mat. I'm most concerned about that darn Touriva.
I'm not concerned with "dents." I believe what has been said about them popping out. I just really don't want to see the seats scratched, KWIM?
Oo, I know. I could just talk DH into a new carseat to replace the Touriva! I want to replace it anyway for a variety of reasons (see some of my other posts), but this might just be the reason that convinces DH. That would solve all of my problems but the seat backs, and there seem to be several safe options to fix that problem.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The one that I used to use, was installed with a lap-only belt with a tail. The seat was super tight with the seat protector. If anything it was too tight (I think the webbing of the seatbelt got stretched :whistle:).

It would be very hard for you to damage or stretch the webbing through normal (ie: not using a ratcheting device like the MT) installation. That seat belt is made to withstand 1000s of lbs of force, so if car seat installation can damage it, you have a bigger problem.

I took the seat protector out, and the seat was way too loose. And the vehicle seat still had dents, too. I wonder if I happened to have one of the ones that you found to be bad, or if it varies a lot based on vehicle and carseat combination.
I do it the opposite way, I install the seat without the protector and mark the belt at the latchplate, then reinstall with the seat protector and make sure my mark lines up the way it did before.

The kind that are hard, like this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Two-Stage-Car-Seat-Protection/dp/B000083GHY"]Amazon.com: Two Stage Car Seat Protection - Black: Baby[/ame] almost always cause a problem, but do work sometimes.

Soft ones like this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kiddopotamus-Duomat-Car-Seat-Protector/dp/B000DZS7WU/ref=pd_cp_ba_1"]Amazon.com: Kiddopotamus Duomat 2 in 1 Car Seat Protector Mat: Baby[/ame] I usually have good luck with

Car+car seat combo does make a difference too, but there are definitely enough types of seat savers out there that parents have a fighting chance of finding something to work.

*sniping a bunch of stuff out* the board is all wonky on me today and won't fit my screen properly. I have to scroll way over because some posts were appearing horizontally instead of a vertical list. As a result, my post was right below the OP, then pixels was under mine. I rebooted and things are normal now and there is a whole bunch of other posts I couldn't see before. So I apologize for any confusion I have caused.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC