Sienna - 7 or 8 passenger?

seamonkeys

Tried doing a search on here, but didn't find the answers I was looking for.

So we're thinking in the near future we'll switch from an Odyssey to a Sienna.
But I'm trying to decide if we really need the 8 passenger! Any reason for me to go for the 8 passenger even if we don't really need all of the seats?

Also, a couple of questions for either size:
-can you tether 2 seats in the 3rd row?
-can you fit 2 seats on the 60 portion of the 3rd row?

ADS

emandbri

I've really liked having my 8 seater and have had 8 people in it a few times. We have driven from st. Louis to Kentucky 3 or 4 times with the 6 of us and my parents and were able to fit all of us and our luggage. The last time we went we even took my dad's golf clubs.

I have also had extra people when I carpooled.

You can tether 2 seats in the back, the back row passenger side is the only spot without latch or tether anchor.

You can fit 2 seats on the 60 of the 40/60 but one of those is the back passenger so no tether or latch. It would also depend on what seats you wanted to put there and if you wanted to have room for another person. If you check out the 3 across thread you can find some examples of what people have put there and pictures. I have done radian, marathon, booster and three marthons (middle one being rear-facing it was very hard though! lol).

seamonkeys

You can tether 2 seats in the back, the back row passenger side is the only spot without latch or tether anchor.

You can fit 2 seats on the 60 of the 40/60 but one of those is the back passenger so no tether or latch.

Wait, I'm confused. The photos online show that the 60 part of the 40/60 is on the driver side. So if there's no latch/tether on the passenger side, that would mean the 2 latch/tethers are on the 60 portion.

I'm asking because if I ever wanted the 40 part down for more storage, but still have 2 carseats/booster back there.

Yeah, I need to check the 3-across thread.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
For the Sienna, I would hands-down get the 8 passenger. Why? Because that centre-centre seat is actually useful, and you can install a child restraint there and in another outboard position with still being able to flip a seat to get access to the back row. In the Odyssey, the PlusOne is completely useless for carseats and equally useless for an older child out of a booster (shoulderbelt cuts across the neck)..so for the Odyssey, IMO there's no benefit to the 8th seat.

I've had both the 8 passenger Sienna and the 8 passenger Odyssey..and if I could put the Sienna seating into my Odyssey, I'd have the perfect car.

-Nicole.

emandbri

Wait, I'm confused. The photos online show that the 60 part of the 40/60 is on the driver side. So if there's no latch/tether on the passenger side, that would mean the 2 latch/tethers are on the 60 portion.

Sorry, I had it backwards the back driver's side is the spot with no tether or latch. So yes, you can put two seats on the 60 but one would be installed with a seat belt and no tether.

The center seat is very comfortable, I have sat there on road trips.

seamonkeys

For the Sienna, I would hands-down get the 8 passenger. Why? Because that centre-centre seat is actually useful, and you can install a child restraint there and in another outboard position with still being able to flip a seat to get access to the back row. In the Odyssey, the PlusOne is completely useless for carseats and equally useless for an older child out of a booster (shoulderbelt cuts across the neck)..so for the Odyssey, IMO there's no benefit to the 8th seat.

I've had both the 8 passenger Sienna and the 8 passenger Odyssey..and if I could put the Sienna seating into my Odyssey, I'd have the perfect car.

-Nicole.

Yes, I'd definitely pick the Sienna over the Odyssey when choosing 8 seats. Yes, that Ody 8th seat isn't good for anything!

Sorry, I had it backwards the back driver's side is the spot with no tether or latch. So yes, you can put two seats on the 60 but one would be installed with a seat belt and no tether.

The center seat is very comfortable, I have sat there on road trips.

Ok, that's fine. thanks!

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
'04 has no TA on the driver's side rear row, correct? Because my '05 had a centered one that both the middle and outboard (driver's) could use {edited to add: obviously not at the same time}, then passenger outboard had one dedicated.

-Nicole.

karlatta

I chose a 7 passenger.

When we bought our van, it was primarily because we were doing a 3-across configuration in my Saturn VUE, and we were dealing CONSTANTLY with kids kicking each other, poking each other, invading personal space. As they get older (they're 1, 2, and 3 right now), it's only going to get worse. There's not really ever going to be a time when we have 3 across on a regular basis. And if we have 8 people to take somewhere together, chances are it's a big family get-together, and we have like 20 people that need to go, so we have to be in multiple cars anyway.

That, and DH wanted the larger 2nd row seats. The seats in the 8 passenger aren't small by any stretch, but they're not comfy huge captain's chairs either. DH was concerned by this, as we're hoping to drive the van until it dies. So we'll eventually have big car seats and kids who would appreciate more space.

The 8 passenger is cool, though. I'll give you that.

oxeye

I have a 7 passenger because I wanted AWD and they don't make the AWD in the 8 passenger. I think I would have gone with the 7 passenger anyway, though.

I have been very happy with it. I like that I can move the passenger side second row seat towards the center. So I have the two car seats in that row side-by-side but not right next to each other (nicer when the kids are older and insist that their sibling not touch their seat, LOL).

I have a FF BV installed third-row center with LATCH. I can fold down the 40 split without uninstalling the seat which is really nice. Also, that seat on the 40 part next to the BV is still completely usable by an adult.

Anyway, I LOVE my van. I can't say enough great things about it. My only complaint has to do with the rear air/heat control. That wasn't designed well but everything else in the van is amazing. :)

seamonkeys

That, and DH wanted the larger 2nd row seats. The seats in the 8 passenger aren't small by any stretch, but they're not comfy huge captain's chairs either. DH was concerned by this, as we're hoping to drive the van until it dies. So we'll eventually have big car seats and kids who would appreciate more space.

The 8 passenger is cool, though. I'll give you that.

So the 7 pass. captain chairs are bigger than in the 8 pass? I had no idea. Guess we really need to go see them in person when we're ready.

I have a 7 passenger because I wanted AWD and they don't make the AWD in the 8 passenger. I think I would have gone with the 7 passenger anyway, though.

I have been very happy with it. I like that I can move the passenger side second row seat towards the center. So I have the two car seats in that row side-by-side but not right next to each other (nicer when the kids are older and insist that their sibling not touch their seat, LOL).

I have a FF BV installed third-row center with LATCH. I can fold down the 40 split without uninstalling the seat which is really nice. Also, that seat on the 40 part next to the BV is still completely usable by an adult.

Anyway, I LOVE my van. I can't say enough great things about it. My only complaint has to do with the rear air/heat control. That wasn't designed well but everything else in the van is amazing. :)

Not sure if we care about AWD or not (we don't live where we need it).
Yeah, it's nice to know that back seat is so large. I'm not sure an adult could sit in the back if a carseat was installed in the middle in my Ody.

Thanks for all the responses. After seeing they've got a good selection of used ones through Toyota, it may depend on if we go new or used. My biggest thing is a want one in the dark red! :whistle:

DahliaRW

I have an '09 and the 40 part of the seat is the rear passenger side and it is where there is no latch. There are latch points and tether points for both seats on the 60 half which is the rear middle and rear driver's side. The back seats is really wide. I was impressed!

I have a 7 passenger, only because the 8 didn't come in AWD. If we didn't need AWD, I would have gotten the 8 just because it could come in handy when carpooling with friends and such, or if you have 3 kids and want to fold down the seats in the back for hauling something, etc.

seamonkeys

I have an '09 and the 40 part of the seat is the rear passenger side and it is where there is no latch. There are latch points and tether points for both seats on the 60 half which is the rear middle and rear driver's side. The back seats is really wide. I was impressed!

I have a 7 passenger, only because the 8 didn't come in AWD. If we didn't need AWD, I would have gotten the 8 just because it could come in handy when carpooling with friends and such, or if you have 3 kids and want to fold down the seats in the back for hauling something, etc.

Interesting! Maybe they've switched it on the newer models. Guess I'll have to physically check when we finally start looking. Really my concern was that you're allowed to tether 2 seats back there at the same time - I've heard on the newer Odysseys that you can only have 1 seat tethered in the 3rd row! :thumbsdown:

karlatta

So the 7 pass. captain chairs are bigger than in the 8 pass? I had no idea. Guess we really need to go see them in person when we're ready.
Yes, the 7 passenger seats are slightly bigger and have armrests. The 8 passenger seats do not. I think the armrests are what DH was most concerned about. (Not that our RF kids need them, but whatever.)

DahliaRW

Interesting! Maybe they've switched it on the newer models. Guess I'll have to physically check when we finally start looking. Really my concern was that you're allowed to tether 2 seats back there at the same time - I've heard on the newer Odysseys that you can only have 1 seat tethered in the 3rd row! :thumbsdown:

I'll double check tomorrow (in my pjs now, so not going outside) and make sure I have it correct in my mind as well!

emandbri

I got the 8 because I wanted to be able to carpool, take kids' friends, have room for a dog (that we are getting next year), and have room in case I wanted to do home child care down the line. With 4 kids and the 8 seater I could take 2 extra kids and 3 if I put Jacob in the front. This summer I've also put down the back seats, let Jacob sit in the front and had room for all 4 kids, two bikes, a scooter, and a full size stroller.

True Blue

We have an 8 passenger, and my favorite part is: I can put all 3 kids in the middle row, fold down the back, and have a HUGE storage area if needed, like when we moved from NY to FL last year. It's AWESOME. I had a Regent, SS1, and ff MA with plenty of room to spare. I've also done 1 rf MA instead of SS1....the back is cavernous. So if you only have 3 kids, it's a really nice option to have that kind of cargo space when needed. Also, as a family of 5, we can have 3 visitors ride around town with us which is nice.

seamonkeys

Well I only have 3 kids. So even 3 extra seats is good. BUT, I like the idea of being able to put all 3 in the middle and have the back down for transporting things!!

BUT, then I also like the idea of the armrests on the captain chairs!

Oh man, this is going to be a hard decision! Good thing I started thinking about it now!

Love the 8 seat Sienna. The captain seats are a little bigger, but for kids, the 8 seat ones should be good enough for quite some time. If you do 3 in a row, no one is going to be all that comfortable anyways. It's more if it's reasonable at all to fit a human in there. The 8th seat in the Odyssey isn't fit for any human use (cept a person the size of a newborn) while the Sienna is usable.

I'd go for the 8th seat. Better to have the space then not.

DahliaRW

Ok, went and checked and it is the driver's side (so part of the 40 split) that does not have lower anchors/upper tether). I had it backwards (I was thinking it was where my sons TB was, but I moved it recently to the other side).

You can check out both models (the 7 and 8 seater) at any dealer and see what you think. The nice thing with the 7 is that you can move the captain's chairs around. You can have one on each side, or move either side to the middle and have them next to each other. That's how I have mine configured so I'll be able to have 2 rfing seats in the middle row without blocking access to the back for my oldest.

mommy2env

I have an 8 seater Sienna, and have 2 kids. BUT, we plan on having more in the near future and my mom goes with us all the time. I also have a dozen nieces and nephews who always want to tag along with the 'cool aunt' *ahem* <---that would be *me* :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC