Would you buy a brand new in box car seat from ebay

kmcenery

I have never thought about buying one from ebay. Someone was asking me if it was ok because they know its not good to use a used car seat, and I was not sure how to answer this. Would you buy one?

ADS

Mae

I was going to ask the exact same thing yesterday but never got around to it.

I'm curious to see answers too! :)

marjen

I probably wouldn't...just because you don't know its history. It's sometimes hard to tell if it's actually been taken out of the box or not...and if it's been taken out, then who knows what has happened with it. A lot of people are trustworthy, but a lot are not. I guess I wouldn't want to take that chance. And besides that, most new-in-box car seats that I've seen on Ebay aren't really cheap anyway. You can usually catch the same seat on clearance somewhere for the same or less.

Also, some manufacturers won't honor warranties for seats purchased from Ebay (not all, but some).

SillyLily

I would depending on the seller's ratings and if it was actually a good deal, but usually seats go for more than they should on ebay. I would have no problem buying a new-in-box seat from someone on craigslist that I could meet with and look at the car seat, etc... If the seat still has all of the packaging/tags/etc... on it, then I would feel comfortable.

lovinwaves

If you plan on the manufacturer taking care of a warranty issue for you, then no.

Exception to the above would be the following though:

Ebay seller is an authorized seller for that particular manfacture (but, keep in mind, most manufacturers do not allow their retailers to sell their products on E-Bay)

You never have a warranty problem

You have a warranty problem, but luck out and the manufacture never asks you where you purchased it, and/or a receipt of purchase.

Maedze

I would and I have. I bought a brand new, in box Graco CarGo, a year old, for 60 dollars shipped. Three months later, when the Graco Nautilus became available, I called Graco to complain (long, legitimate story there). Not only did they take the Cargo back, they sent me a check for the retail value of the seat, which was 40 more than I paid for it originally.

fyrfightermomma

Yes and I have. My first Signo came from there as well as a MA or two (and I think my original Radian back in the day) Usually from the "ebay stores" where they regularly sell NIB seats. Probably not from a private seller who just happens to be selling one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC