No back Booster for second car?

HEVY

Would you put your 6yr old in a NNB outboard?

I think I am going to sell the Regent since she never uses it but need to replace it with something else she will probably never use :rolleyes:

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would not put a 6yo in a backless booster, and I would not move a child directly from a harnessed seat to a backless booster (barring emergency, etc.).

Jennifer mom to my 7

Umm, my 6 year old is in a backless turbo in dh's car. But, she is like 68pounds, 50 inches tall, and has outgrown the regent. So, she has also outgrown the back of the turbo. I am just trying to say that never is a word that really shouldn't be used (you know, never say never;)).

I'm sorry, you didn't say never. My bad. But just saying you would not do that, can be taken wrong sometimes.

Last edited:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Umm, my 6 year old is in a backless turbo in dh's car. But, she is like 68pounds, 50 inches tall, and has outgrown the regent. So, she has also outgrown the back of the turbo. I am just trying to say that never is a word that really shouldn't be used (you know, never say never;)).

I'm sorry, you didn't say never. My bad. But just saying you would never do that, can be taken wrong sometimes.

Most 6yos can still fit in highbacked boosters, so if we want to pick nits ;) , a child that did not fit might probably be covered under the "etc." part of "barring emergency, etc.".

Still, to be honest, I have much more of an issue moving a child directly from a harnessed seat to a backless booster than a 6yo in a properly used backless booster. A highbacked booster is, IMO, an important step.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Most 6yos can still fit in highbacked boosters, so if we want to pick nits ;) , a child that did not fit might probably be covered under the "etc." part of "barring emergency, etc.".

Still, to be honest, I have much more of an issue moving a child directly from a harnessed seat to a backless booster than a 6yo in a properly used backless booster. A highbacked booster is, IMO, an important step.

Very true. So, let's get these companies to make some high back boosters to fit the kids that are coming out of a regent. Turbo doesn't work after a regent. The parkway has a short seat for the leggier kids (might need to move dd to a different booster, but not sure what yet). I think on the parkway, the monterey, and the new parkway work for over a 20 inch torso, correct? (I really want a frontier:whistle:)

HEVY

Rachel in a TB in my van, may have gotten a better fit if I was able to do it in the middle.
Photo0149.jpg

NannyMom

I agree. I'd keep a 6 year old in a harness or HBB.

Just curious, maybe I missed it.... but why isn't she using the Regent anymore? I know you'd gotten the monterey to start booster training. Maybe keep the regent in your car and put the monterey in the other?

lovinwaves

After witnessing an accident with an almost 6 year old in a backless booster, I am very pro High back booster.

If the car had side curtain airbags, and the child's head was able to reach the curtain when it is was open, then I *might* be ok with it. Or, if the vehicle the child was riding in had alot of room between her and the side of the car.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Hevy. Very gently. Maybe you could just...NOT buy something for awhile.

That too. She has something that is usable. She does not need a new seat right now, and considering how you describe her, she does not need to be demoted to a backless booster.

HEVY

Just curious, maybe I missed it.... but why isn't she using the Regent anymore? I know you'd gotten the monterey to start booster training.

I never got a Monterey, just tried it out.
I have two Regents, one is wasting away. I am going to buy a booster to start training her, in my car, just have to choose.
In DH car I was going to put a booster. She does not ride in that car, DH will take my car to driver her anywhere. But there is always the possibility that in an emergency he will have to use his car. It just seemed a waste to have a car seat there not being used and was thinking of a booster to have there ICE. I don't have a problem getting the TB, lol, it's been "in my cart" for a while now, Was just curious about a NBB. I would use one, center, with an 86Y, but had a relapse in judgement for a minute when thinking about using it outboard :eek:

Connor's Mom

Hevy. Very gently. Maybe you could just...NOT buy something for awhile.

That too. She has something that is usable. She does not need a new seat right now, and considering how you describe her, she does not need to be demoted to a backless booster.

I have to agree with these folks. :eek:
And I think that I would add that with the way you describe her, with her self control issues, I think that I would have issue putting her in any kind of booster at all.

heyruthie

Right now, the G Galore HB TB at Albeebaby is almost as cheap as the NB ones. i'd just get that and be done with it. then you have it, and it's a great seat at a great price.

if not, i'd be FINE with you getting the NB for the situation you describe: basically only used in emergencies. in fact, i'd be MORE THAN fine with a 6 yo riding in a NB booster in case of emergency. my DS1 occasionally rides in one, (2-3x in the past year) and it doesn't bother me in the least. yes, he's in a regent in my car, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. i'm just not THAT uptight about CRs (no matter what my family accuses me of!) i see CRs as a numbers game. the likelihood of a crash during any given trip is SO small. by keeping him in a Regent (vs. nothing or even LBB) for most of his ride time, i dramatically reduce his overall danger in any percentage of given crash situations that he may encounter. i feel good about that.

i'd also be great with him in a HBB full-time, except he has behaviour probs due to some special needs. but i'm good w/ most 6-7 yr olds full-time in boosters. that's just me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC