Not loving my Truefit :(

mommy

I was over the moon to get this seat. Iam not sure what I was expecting but its just really not living up to whatever that was I guess.

Heres the situation...
I had my oldest (24lbs /3years) in a MA and my youngest (24lbs / 14 months) in a safeseat they were both happy. However my sister was home to visit and the seat she had her 8 month old in was so not the right fit for her car!! The car has very deep back seats and the convertable seat, she had borrowed was basically stright up and down with no recline at all. Iam sure the baby must of been dropped forward the whole trip home :( Sadly she thought she was doing good since her baby bucet seat was too small.

Anyway I didnt see this seat untill she was going home....I tried to reinstall it with some noodles and I just couldnt for the life of me get it tight, so I gave her my safeseat, since I knew she was going to need a seat anyway since the one she had was borrowed and well it sucked for her car anyway.
The safeseat did go in rock solid :)

So I had to go out and get a new seat since I didnt have a spare and I decided to move the youngest into the MA and get a trufit for my oldest so he could have more leg room. The problem is my oldest is so skinny it seems like the straps dont fit him. They seem really far apart (the straps) and the strap at the belly seems to be really far from his belly. I tried moving the crotch buckle but then it goes under him and it says in the manual you shouldnt have it like this.

So I dont know what to do and Iam looking for suggestions. I have the trufit that just doesnt seem to fit my oldest, my youngest is ok in it because hes chubby but I was really hoping to get the new seat for my oldest because even though he is skinny he is kind of long and the MA doest have alot of leg room rf. I LOVe my MA though and if it went to 35 RF I would more then likley buy another !!!

Thanks!!

ADS

sparkyd

Is there a chance you could post pictures so we can get a better idea of what you are trying to describe? My DS is 30 lbs and the crotch buckle fits him fine on the inner-most position, full diaper and all. Is his bum all the way back in the seat?

I'm not really sure what you mean about the harness straps being far apart either. They should be centered over his shoulders with the chest clip up around armpit level, like on the picture on the clip. If they are sliding off of his shoulders my first guess would be that there is an issue with the harness height or tightness.

In any case, pictures would help us to help you with this one! I have to say I was surprised when I read your post - from the title I was totally expecting RF harness adjuster or lock-off issues, the usual True Fit bugaboos. ;)

Kristy00

ITA with pp - I think pictures are needed here. I'm not sure why you have so many fit problems since this seat is not known for having any of those issues.

I have a 25lb DS and a 27lb DD who both fit fine in the True Fit on the closest crotch strap setting. My DD also has a very slim build and I find the harness straps to fit her very well.

jess71903

Ambassador
I agree- pics would probably help.

I will say that I have been thinking about crotch straps lately and have decided that what most people consider "under" is not really. I have had my 22 month old's on the middle (of 3) position on his TF since we got it. I was looking at it the other day and it just seemed too far out to me, so I moved it back. It angles out a little, but I can still see the base of the strap and his bum is not touching it at all.

Shanora

Did you removed the Infant insert? A friend and I were testing out carseats this weekend for her DS, and we didn't like the way the seat fit him....until we realized we hadn't taken out the infant insert....once that was removed it fit him nicely.

The problem is my oldest is so skinny it seems like the straps dont fit him. They seem really far apart (the straps) and the strap at the belly seems to be really far from his belly. I tried moving the crotch buckle but then it goes under him and it says in the manual you shouldnt have it like this.

So I dont know what to do and Iam looking for suggestions. I have the trufit that just doesnt seem to fit my oldest, my youngest is ok in it because hes chubby but I was really hoping to get the new seat for my oldest because even though he is skinny he is kind of long and the MA doest have alot of leg room rf. I LOVe my MA though and if it went to 35 RF I would more then likley buy another !!!

Thanks!![/QUOTE]

I do know what you mean about your kid being too skinny. My DS2 at 20 months was so skinny when I got my TF the straps barely passed and if it wasn't for the chest clip holding them together they would have never stayed on his shoulders. It also seemed as if every time he fell asleep his head and neck were over stretched to reach the side wings and rest. The only thing that fixed this prob was age and growth. At 28 months the shoulder straps would still not stay on him, unless I make sure the chest clip is in the exact right spot (which we should do anyway). The neck stretching is not an issue now, though. Despite these complaints, I do still really like the seat, though. It is just not the perfect fit for a super skinny kid who does not meet the requirement to still use the infant insert. As for the crotch strap - I think maybe the diaper and clothes may just make it look under him. But looseness over the belly is just another skinny kid issue. If the straps are tight at the shoulders, chest, and thighs, you are good to go. Both my kids have strap gaps over their skinny bellies. Hope that helps.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC