DS's new skill

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Loosening the harness on his Nautilus. :thumbsdown: Didn't even realize until I went to get him out. Obviously, we'll have to correct this, but any tips on making the adjuster unusable to him while we do?

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
... any tips on making the adjuster unusable to him while we do?

Roll up the excess adjustor strap and tuck it under the white "lip" that that covers the adjustor lever. It should fit under there pretty well, and he probably won't be able to reach it.

unityco

Roll up the excess adjustor strap and tuck it under the white "lip" that that covers the adjustor lever. It should fit under there pretty well, and he probably won't be able to reach it.

Hmm. I will try that. :thumbsup: He can reach inside the lip, though. He's actually pressing the a-lock lever and then leaning forward to loosen the harness.

monstah

My DS could do that too. I couldn't figure out a way to make it inaccesible so I had to keep a close eye on him. Now he is in a Radian and can unbuckle himself from that one too. Thankfully, he is very good about staying buckled and only unbuckled once while we were driving, months ago.

I hope you figure something out! Sorry I am no help. :eek:

unityco

How easy is it for him to reach? Is it like a barely thing or what?

I'll have to look at that again. He was already loose when I went to take him out, so he could reach it easily then - I've never noticed how easy it is for him to reach when he's tight.

Madeline410

If he doesn't listen when you tell him how unsafe it is to loosen it, I would take him to the police station and have an officer tell him how important it is that he stays in there nice and snug. That's what I would do with my DS who is the same age :) He would definitely listen to an officer lol!

BW1426

I would do what quite a few people on here have resorted to: a sticker chart for rides that he doesn't mess with his harness adjuster. If it continues to be an issue, I think one or two times of turning around and going home instead of going to the fun place you had planned would do the trick.

Evolily

if other attempts at changing his behavior can't/won't work you could try getting a roll of sticky backed velcro and attaching it to the adjuster.

monstah

If he doesn't listen when you tell him how unsafe it is to loosen it, I would take him to the police station and have an officer tell him how important it is that he stays in there nice and snug. That's what I would do with my DS who is the same age :) He would definitely listen to an officer lol!

That's a great idea. :thumbsup:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My dd discovered the same thing the 2nd time out in her Nautilus - thankfully we weren't driving when she discovered it. I had a talk with her about only doing it when she was told it was ok though and she's been good at it. I've since taught her to unbuckle herself all the way and she knows she's not allowed to do it until the key comes out of the ignition and I take off my seatbelt and we haven't had any problems at all - I think maybe knowing that there is a time that she's allowed to do it helps?

I know your ds is a year younger than my dd, but do you think he might be willing to listen to that idea - that he can only loosen when you tell him it's ok? Put some extra focus on how his carseat being tight keeps him safe, and see if that does the trick?

I tell you, I was sure shocked when dd loosened the harness all by herself - and she was darn proud of herself too. I'm just glad that I didn't have to tell her a second time to only loosen when we said it was ok... I think we got lucky. (And thank goodness the TF is hard to reach - ds decided he'd like to loosen himself too when he saw dd doing it, but he can't reach the adjuster on the TF.)

unityco

Thanks for the tips, everyone! Right now (thankfully,) the Nautilus is out of commission (since the van's out of commission (not so thankfully,)) and DS is only in the Radian. Assuming we get the van back on the road again, I will try out your suggestions! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC