Need suggestions for new vehicle

tracee877

We really need to get a bigger vehicle. I currently drive a 2006 Honda Accord which I am planning to sell for approx. $15-16K. I need something in the $15-18K range that is used but prefer newer than 2004. Vehicle must seat at least 7. I will have two kids in boosters and 1 RF. I'm thinking DD and DS2 in the 2nd row and DS1 in the 3rd. We are considering minivans and small SUV's, BUT the only minivan I would really consider is the Honda Odyssey. I have not actually gone out to look/test drive yet (haven't even talked to DH yet:whistle:), but these are the ones I have been looking at:

Honda Odyssey
Ford Explorer
Honda Pilot (this one will probably be too big and/or out of price range)
Suzuki XL7

What do you think or what would you recommend?

ADS

karlatta

Not the Suzuki XL7. My mom has one, and it's just not a great car for car seats.

The third row is very small. A seat that required the entire base to be on the vehicle seat (like the Nautilus) would be out of the question. There is also very little room for RF from the 3rd row. I can squeeze in a Cosco Scenera or other short-backed seat, but I can't fit anything like a Marathon or Radian. There are no top tether harnesses for 3rd row seats either, so I don't feel comfortable with most FF installations (I will put a Radian back there, but that's it). You can't easily access the 3rd row if you have two seats installed in the 2nd row.

The second row has LATCH in all 3 positions, but there are weird rules. You can't use all 3 LATCH positions at once, and if you have a seat installed with LATCH in the center and driver side outboard position, you aren't supposed to have *anyone* sitting in the other seat (center or driver side outboard). It really makes my head spin every time I have to install seats in my mom's car.

Not to mention that there's next to no room for cargo when the 3rd row is up. I can't take a stroller with us because none of mine will fit. It's a nice car, and I enjoy driving it when it's just me, but it's just not convenient for children, IMO.

Any reason why you won't consider the Toyota Sienna? It's comparable to the Odyssey, in my opinion.

Last edited:

tracee877

Thanks for the info on the XL7. Those are some strange rules! I would be putting DS1 in the 3rd row in a backless booster so no need for LATCH/tethers there. I *might* consider the Sienna, but honestly don't like the looks of it.:eek:

kathysr98

I would add the Ford Freestyle to your list to look at. They are Almost the same vehicle as the current Taurus X, but were made from 2005-07. The prices are great on them, as in most loaded ones are $16k or less. I looked at them a couple of months ago and was very impressed with the car for the money. It's a crossover, so it's lower to the ground like a minivan, but has SUV styling. As for the Explorer, my Mom has an 07, and we like it alot so far. I wouldn't want to drive one every day because I'm short (5'3" or so) and it's hard the get my DD out when she's asleep without waking her up, but otherwise I have no complaints about it. One thing I like better about the Freestyle than the Explorer is available captain's chairs in the second row. This allows your third row kid to get in w/o flipping/folding a seat.

BW1426

Would you need the third row and still be able to have trunk room? If so, I'd scratch the Explorer.

What about the Chrysler Aspen/Dodge Durango?

tracee877

I would add the Ford Freestyle to your list to look at. They are Almost the same vehicle as the current Taurus X, but were made from 2005-07. The prices are great on them, as in most loaded ones are $16k or less. I looked at them a couple of months ago and was very impressed with the car for the money. It's a crossover, so it's lower to the ground like a minivan, but has SUV styling. As for the Explorer, my Mom has an 07, and we like it alot so far. I wouldn't want to drive one every day because I'm short (5'3" or so) and it's hard the get my DD out when she's asleep without waking her up, but otherwise I have no complaints about it. One thing I like better about the Freestyle than the Explorer is available captain's chairs in the second row. This allows your third row kid to get in w/o flipping/folding a seat.

Oooh I didn't know the Freestyle had 3rd row! I will definitely look into that one!

Would you need the third row and still be able to have trunk room? If so, I'd scratch the Explorer.

What about the Chrysler Aspen/Dodge Durango?

I haven't looked at either of this, but will add them to my list to check out!:thumbsup:

firemomof3

I would recommend the Ford Taurus X because of the versitility and awsome safety ratings! Also, the Honda Pilot is a great vehicle if you can find one in your price range; can fit 3 across the 2nd row comfortably, has a roomy 3rd row with truck space, and its a Honda...enough said ;)

tracee877

I would recommend the Ford Taurus X because of the versitility and awsome safety ratings! Also, the Honda Pilot is a great vehicle if you can find one in your price range; can fit 3 across the 2nd row comfortably, has a roomy 3rd row with truck space, and its a Honda...enough said ;)

We're definitely looking at Pilots also! I love Honda's! I have only ever had Honda and Toyota cars, but I am definitely loving the looks of the Freestyle!

kathysr98

Yep, the Freestyle is a great vehicle for the money. The prices dropped significantly when the change to the Taurus X happened. The main difference between the Freestyle & Taurus X is the Freestyle has a Continuous Variable Transmission (CVT) and Taurus X has a traditional geared transmission. I believe the Taurus X also has more horsepower, so if either of those things are important to you, keep them in mind. It's also intersting to know that the technology for the Freestyle's drivetrain came from Volvo. Ford owned Volvo until recently and shared technology between the companies.

tracee877

Yep, the Freestyle is a great vehicle for the money. The prices dropped significantly when the change to the Taurus X happened. The main difference between the Freestyle & Taurus X is the Freestyle has a Continuous Variable Transmission (CVT) and Taurus X has a traditional geared transmission. I believe the Taurus X also has more horsepower, so if either of those things are important to you, keep them in mind. It's also intersting to know that the technology for the Freestyle's drivetrain came from Volvo. Ford owned Volvo until recently and shared technology between the companies.

Can you explain more about the Continuous Variable Transmission (CVT)? I'm not familiar with that, how is it different from traditional transmissions? I know the Taurus X will be out of our price range but it looks sooooooooooo nice.

My mom has a 2007 Honda Oddessy EX-L. We bought it used in October. I think we got a pretty good deal it had about 20,000 miles on it and they wanted I think $22,700 she got them down to $21,000 taxes and everything. I see better deals now but at the time it was an awesome deal.

She loves it! It drives so smooth. Shes use to have a 05 Kia Sorento that she gave to my sis and when shes drives it now shes says she can really feel the difference.

I don't really like the look of Sienna either.

What about the Nissan Quest? My mom was considering that one too but there weren't any with leather and low miles around our area. My aunt has one although I don't see them often but I've rode in it a few times it seem very nice as far as I know they love it!

Sorry for blabbing. :eek:

Last edited:

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My list for that model year, and that price range:

Honda Odyssey (have one, 08)
Toyota Sienna (had one, 05)
Acura MDX
Honda Pilot (prefer the MDX, but Pilot has 8 seats)
Volvo XC90 (have one)
Nissan Quest
Toyota Sequoia

Then I'd probably move down into the Tahoe/Yukon camp, which weren't a consideration for me because I hate constant repairs--no matter how inexpensive they may be.

-Nicole.

kathysr98

Can you explain more about the Continuous Variable Transmission (CVT)? I'm not familiar with that, how is it different from traditional transmissions? I know the Taurus X will be out of our price range but it looks sooooooooooo nice.

Here's a link that explains what I never could. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm

From a driver's POV, it's like the car never needs to shift, so it's always smooth. It also never lags on acceleration because you're never on the low end of a gear and then try to accelerate. It's always ready for speeding up. That is a great feature to me because I currently own two manual transmission cars, so I'm used to being able to down shift in preparation of acceleration. The lag when at a low RPM in an automatic drives me crazy...that and the fact that I can't seem to find the clutch when I'm looking for it.:whistle:

As far as the Taurus X vs. Freestyle, I think either one will be a great vehicle. I drive sporty cars and am completly addicted to fast acceleration and I could drive the Freestyle without problem. Not that it's sporty, but it's not that big of a step down.

tracee877

Here's a link that explains what I never could. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm

From a driver's POV, it's like the car never needs to shift, so it's always smooth. It also never lags on acceleration because you're never on the low end of a gear and then try to accelerate. It's always ready for speeding up. That is a great feature to me because I currently own two manual transmission cars, so I'm used to being able to down shift in preparation of acceleration. The lag when at a low RPM in an automatic drives me crazy...that and the fact that I can't seem to find the clutch when I'm looking for it.:whistle:

As far as the Taurus X vs. Freestyle, I think either one will be a great vehicle. I drive sporty cars and am completly addicted to fast acceleration and I could drive the Freestyle without problem. Not that it's sporty, but it's not that big of a step down.

Thank you!:thumbsup: I'm going to look at a 2007 Freestyle today!:D

tracee877

I loved it! I totally want one! But the one I looked at had cloth interior which was very dirty. I really want leather. I'm going to look at another one tomorrow that has leather, but its an 06 and has more miles, but also cheaper.

kathysr98

Glad you liked it. Keep in mind you can have leather installed in a vehicle. Ask the dealer about who in your area can do it. My dad had it put in his truck recently for about $700. If you like the one with cloth better than the 06 after you drive it, that might be a better option.

ateammom

I just bought an 05 Sienna and I love it. I have an 05 Durango too, and I would scratch it off of your list. We haven't had anything major go wrong with it, but there are definitely better vehicles out there. Also, we would have had 2 car seats installed in the middle row, which means there would be no way to use the 3rd seat unless someone wanted to either crawl over the middle seat or get in through the cargo door in the back and crawl over the third seat. Not an option for us.:thumbsdown: We have our Durango listed on CL right now, and ironically, are looking for an Accord or Camry.

ateammom

I also forgot to add that the Durango (05 and newer, I believe) has no latch or tether anchors in the third row, and you can't get them retrofitted. The second row only has two sets of latch, also. So for a total seating capacity of 7 people there are only 2 sets of latch.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC