Newbie needs help!

LovinLife

We have a 7 month old daughter who is about 20 pounds and 27 inches. She is getting too big for her Graco snugride and Britax Companion. Her feet are sticking out! So we need to get a new carseat fast.

We're interested in the convertibles from Britax, but don't know which is "better" - marathon, decathlon or boulevard. In reviewing the posts here, I see the boulevard has a recall - but other than that - I don't know the big difference between these. I've tried going to Britax's website - but I cannot get the product pages to load. (I do only have dial up and perhaps I am just not patient enough!)

So please offer any advice. I just found this website and wow - I love it!! Thanks for your help!!

LL

ADS

mominabigtruck

I have a blvd and the reason I chose it over the other britax seats was because of the movable tsip wings. Instead of having to rethread your straps when your baby grows you just turn the knob, giving you infinite positions and making it easy if you have different kids ride in the same seat. Occasionally my boss' grandson rides with me while we're on tour and he is alot smaller then my baby and all I have to do is turn the knob and tighten the straps. If I had one of the other seats I would not be able to do this because it would be too much effort for a short car ride.

mamato2

A better guide for when an infant or toddler needs a convertible is whether they have less than one inch of shell over the tops of their heads, and/or they are about to exceed the weight limit.
Your daughter will be fine until she hits the limits of the seat. She will fold her legs or find some other way to sit comfortably until then. :)
We have a RA and WIZ, which are repectively similar and comparable to the Marathon (the RA is smaller) and the Boulevard. We use the RA in the middle seat of our van and the WIZ outboard in a Camry. If you feel you want the extra SIP go with the BV. We LOVE our WIZ (my 8 1/2 yr old keeps trying to convince me she fits!!). I am reassured by the wings and really appreciate the knob adjustment. HTH
C.

kfelaco

Ditto with Mominabigtruck! If you buy a BV now, just check the DOM that's it's after 8/1/06 (end of recall DOM's). I just bought one 2 weeks ago and it's DOM was 9/15/06. I love the harness adjustment knob (I've always hated re-threading harness straps!) and I like the TSIP wings too. But my almost 7 month old is the best testimonial of all though-he's notorious for screaming and wailing when in the van for more than 30 minutes, and we take lots of LONG road trips. So far, he hasn't complained AT ALL about riding in his new BV! Gotta love that Britax cushiness!! And Mommy is SOOOOO happy.....:D

soygurl

A better guide for when an infant or toddler needs a convertible is whether they have less than one inch of shell over the tops of their heads, and/or they are about to exceed the weight limit.
Your daughter will be fine until she hits the limits of the seat. She will fold her legs or find some other way to sit comfortably until then. :)
We have a RA and WIZ, which are repectively similar and comparable to the Marathon (the RA is smaller) and the Boulevard. We use the RA in the middle seat of our van and the WIZ outboard in a Camry. If you feel you want the extra SIP go with the BV. We LOVE our WIZ (my 8 1/2 yr old keeps trying to convince me she fits!!). I am reassured by the wings and really appreciate the knob adjustment. HTH
C.

This is true for HEIGHT guidelines, but WEIGHT limits are set in stone! The OP mentnioned that her daughter is about 20 lbs. Depending on the year/model of the snugride she needs a new seat NOW! If the weight limit for both seats is 22 lbs. you have a little time, but not long!

LovinLife

Thank you for the replies! Looks like we narrowed it down to the decathlon and boulevard. We're taking the little one to the store tomorrow for a test "sit." :)

lovinwaves

Lovinlife,
Because your little one will be rear-facing for quite some time don't worry about their feet touching the back of the seat. It is an old myth that if their feet touch the back of the seat well then it's time for a new seats. This is just simply not true. I remember being told that many times...unfortunately I thought it was true :(

LovinLife

We ended up getting two Britax Decathlons - one in Sahara and another in Tiffany. The store was out of Boulevards and we didn't want to wait. Thanks for your help!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
As you'll see in my signature ... feet are not a safety concern ;) Spinal risk is the only real concern other than proper use -- so just keep kiddo RF in a convertible seat with high weight limit + tall shell/frame & visit your local CPST for help installing/using correctly :) Go ahead & play around with all the carseats that fit your child+vehicle & budget to find the ones with the ease of use features you like as well as which your child is comfortable in :D (Then visit your tech)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC