My Evenflo Titan arrived with an Old DOM!

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
My Evenflo Titan arrived with an Old DOM

I bought an Evenflo Titan (Columbia color) from Albeebaby.com, and it came today. I got it for about $87, which is pretty good, but it came with a DOM of December 2007. Am I crazy for being kind of disappointed? Is there anything I can do? The re-stocking fee to return to Albee is $25, so it's not worth returning, but at the same time, I feel like the seat is pretty old!!! :( Should I call Evenflo? :(

Last edited:
ADS

NannyMom

Wow, I'd be upset. Already a year and a half old :thumbsdown: I think Walmart or Sears sells it for $75-80 (or they did).

BTW- does it have the SIP emblem on it? My 2007 didn't, and the harness adjuster is different- and it eats the strap. The new ones have a metal bar below the metal piece of the harness adjuster. DOes yours have that?

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
No SIP tag...and while I'm not totally sure about what you mean about the metal bar, I don't think there is one. :(
Will not having it make the harness adjuster fray??

Splash

Why would you call Evenflo? They didn't do anything and there is nothing wrong with the seat. You ordered from a big box store, a seat that hasn't been made in quite some time, at a decent discount. You knew you were running the risk of an older DOM. There is nothing WRONG with the seat, though. And would you really have used it for six years? Likely not.

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
No, i agree Splash. I bought it for our 'give-away' program at the hospital, and a lot of these families tend to have lots of kids, so once "Recipient Kid" is done with it, I'm sure it will be used by "Recipient Kid's Sibling-to-Be." So, it's not a huge deal, but I was just hoping to get more 'life' out of a seat that I'm sure will be used by the family for multiple kids beyond the date of expiration anyway :(

NannyMom

No SIP tag...and while I'm not totally sure about what you mean about the metal bar, I don't think there is one. :(
Will not having it make the harness adjuster fray??

That is just my suspicion. I have 2 Titans. One without that little metal bar (and no SIP label) and one with the little metal bar (and the SIP label). I had my strap replaced once for fraying. Now it's having to be replaced again (and after a series of events, then ended up replacing it with a hideous looking titan but DOM 3/09). My best guess is they realized the design was allowing for strap fraying (by way of parents pulling crooked and it getting stuck in the metal). The design of that little metal bar looks like it may prevent that from happening.

If you want, I can take a pic of the newer adjuster tomorrow. But the seats in stores now have it.

Mirandagrate

I filed a complaint with the BBB against Albee Baby for false advertising because I bought two Recaro Como's from them in April and they are both OLD! made in 07!! I contacted them several times and since then they put all the dates on their cheaper Recaro's... I'm hoping the BBB will be able to do something..

ETA: They tried to tell me that the DOM was on the listing. It wasn't. And I have the receipt that does NOT have the DOM on it even though they tried emailing me one with it on there.... URGH! I'm never buying from them again. Horrbile customer service and they stopped replying to my emails.

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
Ahh! I noticed that now they list the Recaro dates on their site now. Wish they could do that for all seats

apsupermom

I filed a complaint with the BBB against Albee Baby for false advertising because I bought two Recaro Como's from them in April and they are both OLD! made in 07!! I contacted them several times and since then they put all the dates on their cheaper Recaro's... I'm hoping the BBB will be able to do something..

ETA: They tried to tell me that the DOM was on the listing. It wasn't. And I have the receipt that does NOT have the DOM on it even though they tried emailing me one with it on there.... URGH! I'm never buying from them again. Horrbile customer service and they stopped replying to my emails.

How is that false advertising...it was clearanced...really cheap...almost 1/2 off (I got one too) why wouldn't you make the jump to it having an older DOM??? I guess if it had been full price but it wasn't even close...

Connor's Mom

Why would you call Evenflo? They didn't do anything and there is nothing wrong with the seat. You ordered from a big box store, a seat that hasn't been made in quite some time, at a decent discount. You knew you were running the risk of an older DOM. There is nothing WRONG with the seat, though. And would you really have used it for six years? Likely not.

I totally agree. And if you figure it up, the price is right for the amount of years use it will get.
I never understand why people get pissed when the seat they get at a dirt cheap price has an older DOM. I meen really, if it was new they would be selling it for the $130 everyone else is. :rolleyes:

NannyMom

I totally agree. And if you figure it up, the price is right for the amount of years use it will get.
I never understand why people get pissed when the seat they get at a dirt cheap price has an older DOM. I meen really, if it was new they would be selling it for the $130 everyone else is. :rolleyes:

$87 isn't dirt cheap for a Titan. It sells for $100 (or less), not $130. A seat half off, you should expect an old DOM. But a tad off could just be a good deal, not neccisarily an old seat.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
And if you don't like what you get, return it. Shipping charges both ways is the price we occasionally pay for the convenience of online shopping. But it's not false advertising unless they advertised a 2009 model and you got a 2007, and it's not BBB-worthy.

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
Yeah, I'm keeping it. It's fine. 18 months old isn't tooo awful. I won't buy ANOTHER one, but it will work. The only reason I was bummed was because this is a 'give-away' seat so who knows when we will actually need to give it out...so it's nice to have newer DOMs on the seats. I'll just have to 'bump' this one up in line so it finds a new home first :)

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
I didn't think so either Miranda :( I was surprised by how strongly some people felt about it. I was just sort of seeking advice/re-assurance. Oh well. Woosh! :)
I see both sides....and have determined it's not worth stressing about in this case.

NannyMom

Check the weights on your seat. I was just looking at Albeebaby. I didn't see Columbia, but I saw a nutmeg Titan. It's $95 but must be really old (unless they just have the wrong info on their site). It says 5-30RF and 20-40FF. When did they make the weight changes??

ETA: nevermind, I found the Columbia. It's a Titan Elite with new weight limits (but it's now $99).

Last edited:

Maedze

That's odd. I routinely recommend Albee Baby for their superior customer service.

It's well known that the Comos are old. You bought the seat at a substantial discount.

I hope you cancel your 'complaint' with the BBB, given that it's predicated on false pretenses. If you are accusing them of lying when they didn't, I don't blame them for not returning your calls and emails :twocents:

3plus2isme

I'd be bummed! We ordered a MA online once and it had an (almost) 2 year old DOM... I was sooo mad because it *wasn't* on sale and they wouldn't do anything about it. I did end up returning it and eating the $30 restocking fee but at least I was able to go out and get a seat with a 1 month old DOM and use it for 2 years longer!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC