Where does the 96%-98% misuse stat come from?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm chatting with someone who is doing a piece on carseat safety and of course this statistic has come up, and she'd like a source. Fair enough. I know that real world stats verify this (my own, when I get stats from checks, what they used in class) within from about 92%-100% misuse depending on check and area and demographics. But where do we get the 96%-98% from? Is there a single study to link it to? Same as with the 8 out of 10 installed improperly. I know if I compiled my data from what I see I'd get about this, but quoting "Wendy Thomas' checks" isn't as impressive as the NHTSA or something.

Wendy

ADS
U

Unregistered1

I never heard that number... I only heard 80%... :confused: so I'm even more clueless than you are about where it came from, LOL.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It varies by area. The data is collected by county and different counties have different rates. It will also vary by study method.

Maedze

The 80% came from a survey NHTSA did from literally pulling people over and checking 'yes' or 'no'.

The 99-100% comes from personal experience.

WhatAboutPuppy

Salem, Oregon!!
That's where those stats come from!!

I'm joking! (Sort of, as it was the case just a couple years ago here)...
To my knowledge the stats your quoting come from exactly where you're getting yours. From the sheets your fill out as you check cars at an event. I know our forms are the Safe Kid ones and that just a couple years back that was the general stat they'd get from compiling data after the check was completed.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Salem, Oregon!!
That's where those stats come from!!

I'm joking! (Sort of, as it was the case just a couple years ago here)...
To my knowledge the stats your quoting come from exactly where you're getting yours. From the sheets your fill out as you check cars at an event. I know our forms are the Safe Kid ones and that just a couple years back that was the general stat they'd get from compiling data after the check was completed.

Exactly. Although sometimes someone does a study and they average the study in with the SK data.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
So if someone wanted to quote a source with those statistics, where would they get it? The NHTSA on a quick glance says 90%-98% (I didn't read the whole study). We as techs use 96%-98% all the time. Safe Kids? NHTSA? What year? Ongoing? Meta-analysis?

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've never used that stat. I only know stats for the county where I was trained.

If you poked around the SK site you might find something.

DahliaRW

It think it's interesting to note too that not all "misuse" as marked at carseat checks is necessarily deadly. I've always gotten a used properly (or equivalent) when checked, until this last time. I got misused because the tech though the headrest on my son's turbobooster should be up one notch. The seatbelt fit him properly either way, but a bit better up higher (it's a smidge above his shoulders now). Would probably function fine either way in an accident.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It think it's interesting to note too that not all "misuse" as marked at carseat checks is necessarily deadly. I've always gotten a used properly (or equivalent) when checked, until this last time. I got misused because the tech though the headrest on my son's turbobooster should be up one notch. The seatbelt fit him properly either way, but a bit better up higher (it's a smidge above his shoulders now). Would probably function fine either way in an accident.

*nods* The CHP uses a special form for checks they participate in. They have 2 sections to check misuse. One is for the regular stuff, one is for "gross misuse"-- missing parts, expired seats, installs that move more than 1 inch, wrong belt path, child in outgrown seat, child FF before 1, etc. Stuff that is potentially deadly or crippling.

I think they keep their own stats and have a separate stat for gross misuse.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC