What do you mean, the Apex is not...

disbugsmomma

I have seen so many posts on here saying the Apex is not a low profile seat. How do you figure? It seems quite low to me. :shrug-shoulders:

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Uh, it's not. It sits pretty high in comparison to my Scenera, Uptown, and Radians. Maybe compared to a Marathon (or a Como ;) ) it's low profile, but in a small car it is NOT and if the car has no headrests you get no more time out of it than you would from a FF Scenera, seriously, probably less.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
are we talking about the same seat here? It's not on a base or anything..it just sits there on the seat? I'd consider it low profile.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It sits on the seat but the bottom of it is tall. The amount of space from where the seat is to where the kid sits is higher by several inches than that same space in more low-profile seats.

I wouldn't say it's "high-profile" either. But it's in the middle, not on the low end.

Maedze

I disagree....I'd say the Apex sits considerably closer to the vehicle seat than any of the seats listed.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Really? Maybe it's the shape of the seat and the cars I've put it in. It tends to sit more "up" on the cushions than the others. Does that make sense?

Maedze

Maybe :confused:

The seat, I think, is blown plastic, and certainly not more than 2" thick, likely less. The Scenera, in the forward facing position, boosts a kid up more than six inches off the vehicle seat. It has a base, unlike the Apex.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Are we talking about the same seat? :confused: My Apex boosts considerably higher than 2 inches.

I'm wondering now if different molds are used for different branded Apexes or different years.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't know what to say but I put it in a car with a FF Scenera, and it was at least 1/2 inch higher, maybe more. Again, maybe it's the way it sits?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Either way, I'd still consider the Scenera/Uptown and the Apex all low-profile seats. When I think of a "high profile" seat, I think MA/Blvd/Como/Signo/SS2.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would agree those are all "high profile." (Well, haven't seen the SS2 so don't know.) I'd put the Apex in the "mid profile" range with the 3-in-1s, etc.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yep, I agree. I think the Apex would probably be equal to a 3-in-1 without the base, but that's all pure speculation since I don't own either and have never measured or compared.

heyruthie

i actually own most of the seats mentioned, and i do consider the Apex low profile. is it AS low and Radian? I don't think so (but I think the Radian is THE lowest profile seat on the market.) Other low-profile seat that I either own, or have helped friends purchase do include the Regent (I have one) and the Avenue/Uptown (BF just got 2 for her twins, because she needed RFing low-profile.)

When I install the Scenera next to the Apex, the Scenera is quite a bit higher. I'll try to post pics. Any seat out there that isn't up on a base is at least medium-low profile to me--as long as we're talking SEAT profile (how high the kid sits up.) Maybe some people are talking about how high the headrest portion of the seat is? In that case, the Apex goes pretty high. It is a combo, afterall....

Also, if you're talking WIDTH--the Apex is a beast :) and that's another story!

MustangMama

I would say it's higher profile than the Radian, lower than the Scenera or Uptown.

I'm with you. I am actually staring at one sitting in my living room right now. I would say it could classify as low profile actually. It is about the same as the Radian- maybe a little less, just way wider, etc.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've never sat it next to other seats on the floor, only in cars. That must be where the difference in my perception comes in.

DahliaRW

A FF scenera, nautilus, radian, marathon, etc blocks SIGNIFICANTLY less of the back window than the apex I've used. Well, the nautilus is close to the same, but it's a lot more than the others. The headrest is wide!

scatterbunny

A FF scenera, nautilus, radian, marathon, etc blocks SIGNIFICANTLY less of the back window than the apex I've used. Well, the nautilus is close to the same, but it's a lot more than the others. The headrest is wide!

I think there's some confusion about what constitutes a low profile seat. Are we talking about a seat that actually places the child very low in relation to the vehicle seat (a seat that has a very low seating area), or a seat that, overall, sits very low in the car (blocking less view)?

The Apex is low profile, IMO, in that it sits the child very low in relation to the vehicle seat. It is not low profile in the overall space it takes up in the vehicle, since the headrest sticks up very high, and it's wide. Same with the Nautilus (which sits the child up higher than the Apex, and sticks up very tall in the car).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC