My child has special needs alright...

Jonah Baby

I know this doesn't exactly fit the category...

My son has figured out how to unbuckle chest clips on almost all of his carseats. A very intelligent (and often conniving two year old) cannot simply be told the behavior is unacceptable. He will just do it again to spite you.

I'm concerned it won't be that long before he figures out how to unbuckle the leg straps on some of the seats.
I'm also very concerned that he does indeed know how to "escape" from a few of the seats simply by unhooking the chest clip and squirming those little legs up and out after his arms are free.

This can't continue!
I can't afford to buy new seats, even if some of our seats are not the "best available on the market."

Is there any type of additional safety devices that can be bought for reasonable prices? I hate putting a price on safety...but we are dirt poor. Should I just start switching seats with people to prevent him being in one long enough to learn to open it?

What DO I do?

ADS

myliljunebugs

You know the little velcro dots? Put one on each side of the chest clip. Just the scratchy portion, not the soft. That should stop him. If not, the best thing is training IMO. Just pull over every time he does it and refuse to move til he is in correctly. Also, you say he can get out that way? Is his harness properly tightened? It should be snug enough that you can't pinch any slack in it at the shoulder. If it is tightened up like that he shouldn't be able to escape even with the chest clip undone.

Evolily

Can he zip or button yet?

Get a slightly over sized zipper or button shirt/sweatshirt. When you put him in the seat put the shirt on him unbuttoned, and fasten the car seat. Then you button or zip the shirt over the harness. Out of sight, out of mind :) . Getting it slightly over sized should help make sure the shirt covers the buckle.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Are his carseats have the type of chest clips that can be turned upside down and be harder for him to undo them?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC