Would I be a horrible, awful, bad parent if...

xxluckychicxx

I put DS's RN XT in the middle, with out a tether? The only TA in my car is a retrofitted one behind the passenger seat.

DS is a big bully and absolutely will not leave the baby (either DD or my DNe) in the middle alone. He pokes, hits, bites :eek:, etc. whover is in the middle. I was thinking that maybe if I put him in the middle I will have more access to him and be able to prevent it a little better.

ADS

monstah

No, you wouldn't be a bad parent at all. Consider it a temporary move while you try to help him change his behavior and move him back when he is able to better behave himself. :thumbsup:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Not at all. Real life sometimes trumps ideal, and the Radian does fabulously without a tether. I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

Wendy

Maedze

I wouldn't. I'd do what I actually *did* do for a similar problem: cut a piece of cardboard out of the side of a box and slide it in between the two seats. Voila. Instant barrier.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Since the Radian does so well without the tether, I would have no problem doing that. I bought the radian because 2 of my cars didn't have tethers.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I wouldn't. I'd do what I actually *did* do for a similar problem: cut a piece of cardboard out of the side of a box and slide it in between the two seats. Voila. Instant barrier.

I used the idea Judi posted in a thread a week or so back the other day. The baby and the five year old were fighting so I made my husband pull over and stuck the pop-up shade between them. By the end of the ride my five year old was begging for it down and the baby was so happy to see her when I took it down that they didn't fight at all on the ride back.

oxeye

Love it! I am going to try this with the 4 and 6 year olds now that they are next to each other in DH's car.

cookie123

Ha ha. I was going to suggest one of those sunshade things that go over the car seat. It seems like it would kind of isolate him!!

fyrfightermomma

I remember hearing the Radian did as well without the tether as most seats do with a tether. In fact that is the reason I bought a Radian so it can go in the 3rd row of my van with another seat where I don't have a tether anchor and in the grandparents car that has no tether anchors.

natysr

I was thinking that you should just put both children outboard.

Having them both be outboard and unable to reach each other has got to be safer than you trying to discipline your children from the driver's seat. :twocents:

NannyMom

I was thinking that you should just put both children outboard.

Having them both be outboard and unable to reach each other has got to be safer than you trying to discipline your children from the driver's seat. :twocents:

Except that there are 3 kids :) She has her nephew too.

jsta1005

I would think that having DS in the middle would just give him the opportunity to pick on both outboard children.

natysr

Except that there are 3 kids :) She has her nephew too.

Right. The way it was worded, it kind of sounded like she only had one baby at a time that shared a seat and the baby was alway in the middle. I don't know why I thought that...it really isn't logical.

xxluckychicxx

So I put DS in the middle today and it did not go as well as planned. Not only does he have access to both babies, but when DNe isnt with me he still has access to DD (where as before when DNe wasnt with us DD rode o/b, leaving the middle seat open). I also tried the carboard trick and DS just removed it :rolleyes:.

Maybe I should just put him in the trunk.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'll bet one of these would fit well over the Radian, kid and all :whistle::

hamper.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC