News Simplicity Drop Side Cribs Recalled by Retailers Due to Risk of Death from Suffocation

I called the store to speak to the manager, but he was on lunch. I left a message and he did not call back. I was so busy with my crazy boys today, that I didn't get around to hunting the guy down. DS turned 22 months yesterday :) Since we have no crib right now, I am using the pack n play and the mattress on the floor. For naps, he is in the pack n play. Last night, I got him to sleep on the mattress on the floor. I just layed there with him for 7 minutes until he fell asleep. Since I already ordered the stinking replacement crib, I have to wait for it to come in to do anything about it. I am thinking we will work with him for the next 2 weeks while we wait for the crib to see if he will be ok with just a toddler bed and a baby gate at his door. He cosleeps and had only used that dang crib for 2 weeks for naps. before then, all naps and bedtime were in my bed or on the sofa. I am going to call again tomorrow to try to speak to the comanager to see he can help me. I would like to immediately return the crib they have coming for a cash refund... never even leave the store with it. I do not have high hopes as I have had such terrible experiences with walmart - first as an employee for nearly a year back in like 99-2000 and ever since then as a customer. I have been avoiding them like the plaque for so long because of it. I know it's wrong of me, but I called Babies R Us and Target to see if they sold the exact same model crib i had so I could return there instead of dealing with walmart. no such luck... I hate walmart.

ADS

2BunniesMommy

I am sorry this has been such a hassle for you. At one point I asked what to do when I wasn't sure I would still want a walmart.com order by the time it came in and I was told it was ok to just take it from site to store up to the cs desk and return it. I don't know if you will be able to get cash since you paid with a gift card, but I would keep trying to call the manager and get him on board with the fact you should have gotten cash to begin with and have them expecting you and knowing they will need to give you cash. Good luck!

Also, just out of curiousity, which crib did you order? After 3 days of looking at so many of them, I just wonder what choices other people go with.

yeah, that's my pla - to talk to the manager today and let him know what's up , that I ordered another crib only because I didn't think I had a choice, but that I will be returning it and would like cash refund. I have ordered from walmart.com before, picked up the order, and went straight to CS to return it. it took a month for my item to come in and by the time it did, I had already said screw it and bought one locally.

I ended up getting the Graco Sarah 4 in 1 covertable for $120. Since I was shortchanged on what I paid for my crib, I had a really tight budget to work with. plus, we knew that the crib would get 6 months use TOPS before being converted to a toddler bed... much likely a lot less than 6 months.

2BunniesMommy

I liked the looks and the price of that one, but the reviews scared me off. Would be too worried about it ending up with issues too. Lots of people made it sound pretty wobbly etc. Then I decided I wanted a crib without a drop side. I know it will be a pain for me, but at least I won't have to worry about it. The cheapest one with a solid side was $140 but the cheapest one I liked with a solid side was $200. So frustrating when I already picked the exact crib I wanted a year ago. With her only 8 mo old I even thought about not getting a new crib, thinking I could just use the pack and play for a year. Nope, my back told me pretty quick not happening. But then again it won't be so hard to get her out soon when she will be able to sit and stand in there. But she is just going to get heavier and heavier and if I have to lay her down sleeping...

Sorry, just kind of going on and on there.

I hope you are able to get it worked out with them to the way it should have been in the first place.

yeahM i considered just using the pack in play for a few months and working with my son to get him to sleep in the toddler bed. I managed to get him to go down for bedtime on the crib mattress on the floor 2 nights in a row with sitting with him. I fell asleep with him last night, LOL. He will not stay there for naps, though, so I am using the playpen. It's not all that comfortable as it's a cheap replacement for the Graco one I ruined (spilled an entire bottle of febreeze in it!!!.. cry!) This whole crib thing has me so angry. Why can't these companies just test their products extensively? I am seriously thankful that we cosleep with DS2 - from the first night at home to now. He's never slept in his crib overnight and only started using it 2 weeks ago for naps. Who knows, he could have been killed in that thing! DS1 used that crib from 9 months all the way to 2 1/2 every day, though. stupid manufacturer... glad they are out of business :p

as for the Graco Sarah, I looked at reviews on walmart and babies r us. I think most people are pleased with it. I think some people were upset the color didn't match exactly how they thought it would or they thought they were getting a super high quality baby store crib that most would expect to pay $300-$400 for. Sometimes peoples expectations are way too high.

mykidsmylife

I returned mine to the PX even though I got it from WalMart. Luckily they were understanding since there is no WalMart here.
Now I have a $180 gift card and have to find a crib at the PX's here in Germany. FUN....

swtgi1982

I called the store to speak to the manager, but he was on lunch. I left a message and he did not call back. I was so busy with my crazy boys today, that I didn't get around to hunting the guy down. DS turned 22 months yesterday :) Since we have no crib right now, I am using the pack n play and the mattress on the floor. For naps, he is in the pack n play. Last night, I got him to sleep on the mattress on the floor. I just layed there with him for 7 minutes until he fell asleep. Since I already ordered the stinking replacement crib, I have to wait for it to come in to do anything about it. I am thinking we will work with him for the next 2 weeks while we wait for the crib to see if he will be ok with just a toddler bed and a baby gate at his door. He cosleeps and had only used that dang crib for 2 weeks for naps. before then, all naps and bedtime were in my bed or on the sofa. I am going to call again tomorrow to try to speak to the comanager to see he can help me. I would like to immediately return the crib they have coming for a cash refund... never even leave the store with it. I do not have high hopes as I have had such terrible experiences with walmart - first as an employee for nearly a year back in like 99-2000 and ever since then as a customer. I have been avoiding them like the plaque for so long because of it. I know it's wrong of me, but I called Babies R Us and Target to see if they sold the exact same model crib i had so I could return there instead of dealing with walmart. no such luck... I hate walmart.

When it comes in at the pick up desk, they are required to ask you if it the correct item or if that is what you wanted before finishing the transaction, so just tell them no it is not what you expected and they should return it right there with out having to go to the service desk. I have had to do it with one of mine before.

I returned mine to the PX even though I got it from WalMart. Luckily they were understanding since there is no WalMart here.
Now I have a $180 gift card and have to find a crib at the PX's here in Germany. FUN....

Can you order online from the PXs online store? I've been away from army life for a while, but I would think you would be able to do that. Or just go off base and buy one and use the gift card for every day things.

I went to pick up my crib (and a trash can I ordered to use the rest of the gift card) today. I just told her that I didn't want the crib anymore. I also asked her about returns for items that are recalled and if I HAD to take a gift card. She wasn't sure, but said she would ask the manager when she came back there to allow the return of the crib. I guess the amount requires a manager approval or something. She didn't even ask the manager or mention it at all, but it turned out to not be necessary. I started to get the feeling that she was going to refund the amount to my debit card and not to gift card, so I told her I didn't want the trash can either. I had paid like $7 or so on my debit card and the rest was gift card, but she refunded the entire amount to my credit card :) We actually needed the trash can, but I like to have the option of shopping around before getting it. I am sure I can get a better deal elsewhere, plus I hate wal-mart these days and would rather my money go somewhere else. I didn't argue the price of the recalled crib cause I just didn't think it would be worth it. I had both kids and they were getting antsy. I was just happy to be getting money back instead of a gift card. Now, I get to do toddler bed shopping anywhere so I can get the best price!

arly1983

Just finally returned mine. They couldn't figure out how much to refund me so they refunded me $150 (lowest price listed on recall) plus tax: 160.50. All in all not a bad experience.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC