Tube feeding question...again

fyrfightermomma

So she got the tube and the tube is pretty much dead on with the left strap and about where the chest clip would be (maybe 1/2" below where the chest clip would be but she likes to move her clip down)

My options are to:

1. keep her in the YS which we love and take off the chest clip (but again I have visions of her flying out in an accident)

2. Find a RFing seat the kid fits in and take the chest clip off (i have less visions of her flying out but she really hates RFing now and I hate RFing her also)

3. Import a seat with no chest clip cause it was "made that way" and use it forward facing (but I heard they make crappy FFing seats anyways)

4. Keep the chest clip on and pad it somehow

I have no clue what to do!

ADS

serabi

whoa, how high did they place the g-tube???

I'd personally RF her while she's healing and then I guess do the YS without a chest clip.

fyrfightermomma

It's directly under her rib cage line if that makes sense. less than 1/8" below her rib line. So basically as high as you can go without hitting the ribs. She's got a funky ribcage so it's only about 1/2-3/4" below her nipple. It was much higher than I thought it would be! I honestly don't see how you could have a chest clip especially while it's healing.

I think I'll plop her in the MA RFing for a week or so with no chest clip (i am not even sure she still fits by height but oh well, it's all I got!) And then when it's healed switch her back FFing with no chest clip. It's gonna be strange!

serabi

It's directly under her rib cage line if that makes sense. less than 1/8" below her rib line. So basically as high as you can go without hitting the ribs. She's got a funky ribcage so it's only about 1/2-3/4" below her nipple. It was much higher than I thought it would be! I honestly don't see how you could have a chest clip especially while it's healing.

I think I'll plop her in the MA RFing for a week or so with no chest clip (i am not even sure she still fits by height but oh well, it's all I got!) And then when it's healed switch her back FFing with no chest clip. It's gonna be strange!

Wow. That's pretty high.

does she have a PEG (the long tube) or a button? If she has a long tube, does it have a nipple on it to stabilize it? If so, that will almost certainly interfere with the straps with where it is (which is another reason I'd RF her) but once you move to a button it might/should get easier.

hang in there. this is the roughest period, the night after. ((hugs))

fyrfightermomma

Wow. That's pretty high.

does she have a PEG (the long tube) or a button? If she has a long tube, does it have a nipple on it to stabilize it? If so, that will almost certainly interfere with the straps with where it is (which is another reason I'd RF her) but once you move to a button it might/should get easier.

hang in there. this is the roughest period, the night after. ((hugs))

She has a PEG and will for 3 months. Then switched to a button. I'm not sure if it's called a nipple but it has this big old thing on the outside against her skin to stabalize it. That's where I'm not seeing how the straps would work!

Mama!

Why'd they put it so high? That is so strange. I'm sorry. Those first few trips with a tube are hard.

We used a washcloth folded up to keep the straps off his belly. They basically created space between him and the straps. Also I had him pretty reclined to keep pressure off the hard part.

U

Unregistered

hi, i am a total newbie here, and was just on trying to find a good booster ;) for my almost 6 yo. and i should say i know nothing about the different seats, you guys are like car seat wizards, lol. but... my daughter has a gtube too and i thought i might be able to offer some advice. she also is tiny, and was even more tiny when she got it over a yr ago. so her ribs and tummy were all close too. she was 16 lbs at 21 mos. when we first got it i pulled the chest clip up high so that it was truely across her chest, at about her armpit line. and then buckled the bottom. i did leave more than the normal amount of room in the straps though, so nothing was pulled tight across her tummy. she had a peg for 8 mos, then we had a button and now we are on our 5th mic tube. so it has always been sore and sensitive for her, and this set up seemed ok. i hope that your little girl heals up quickly and you find a good solution. ((hugs mama)), this time can be rough emotionally and physically for you both!

LEAW

Yah, it's awkward for a little while. A washcloth folded in 4 above and below will help pad it enough for now.

I always was thrilled when my kids (home care) moved to a mic-key, then we could use gauze squares to pad it instead. One family I worked with made a little donut using a thin kitchen sponge that we'd pop over the button for travel.

Maedze

hi, i am a total newbie here, and was just on trying to find a good booster ;) for my almost 6 yo. and i should say i know nothing about the different seats, you guys are like car seat wizards, lol. but... my daughter has a gtube too and i thought i might be able to offer some advice. she also is tiny, and was even more tiny when she got it over a yr ago. so her ribs and tummy were all close too. she was 16 lbs at 21 mos. when we first got it i pulled the chest clip up high so that it was truely across her chest, at about her armpit line. and then buckled the bottom. i did leave more than the normal amount of room in the straps though, so nothing was pulled tight across her tummy. she had a peg for 8 mos, then we had a button and now we are on our 5th mic tube. so it has always been sore and sensitive for her, and this set up seemed ok. i hope that your little girl heals up quickly and you find a good solution. ((hugs mama)), this time can be rough emotionally and physically for you both!

Hi there and welcome to c-s.org :)

Your suggestions caught my eye and I wanted to offer some feedback. Where you described placing the chest clip...did you mean that's not where you normally had it? Because what you described is exactly where it should be at all times :) At the armpit level...never below that.

When you say you set the straps looser than normal, if you were able to pinch any slack in the harness, while it may have been more comfortable for your child, it could very well have been lethal in an accident, unfortunately. Placing padding around the site of the tube is a good solution, but the straps should not be loosened.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC