User Reputation Basics

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
As mentioned in the December, 2006 Annoucement sticky, a User Reputation system has been enabled to reward users for informative and clearly written posts.

Once you have made at least 1 post and have at least 1 Reputation Level point, you may begin to leave reputation points for good posts by other members. You may do this up to 4 times a day. This is done by clicking the new balance/scale icon in the top right side of the banner in a post, located near the red triangle icon used to report inappropriate posts. When you click this icon to add to their Reputation Level points, you may also leave an optional comment. You may not give the same member a reputation click more than once in a row; you must leave at least 3 other users a reputation click before giving reputation to the same user again. Clicking the scale icon in one of your own posts will show you how many reputation points that specific post has generated for you.

Each time you leave a positive reputation click for another member's post, their Reputation Level increases. The amount their Reputation Level increases is based on your Reputation Power. For most members who have joined in the last year, the amount your clicks will increase another member's Reputation Level is equal to 1 point. This amount increases by 1 point up for every 2500 posts you have made, for every year you have been a registered member and for every 1000 Reputation Level points you have earned. So, a long-time member with thousands of posts and a high reputation could increase your reputation by 5, 10 or more points, each time they click a reputation icon for your posts.

As you accumulate Reputation Level Points from other users, you will notice that the square icon in the banner of your posts will add boxes and increase in size as your reputation increases over 100 points. This icon is located under your post count on the right side. If you mouse over this icon, it will also show a title related to your current Reputation Level points. New titles are gained at thresholds 25, 50, 100, 250, 500, etc. You may see your current Reputation Level points in your User CP control panel in the Edit Options link.

Any user may also Opt-Out of the User Reputation system altogether. To do this, you also go into your User CP control panel and click the Edit Options link. In the top section for Login & Privacy, you will be able to uncheck a box that says, "Show My Reputation Level", the same place where your Reputation Level points are listed. Even if you elect not to show your reputation level, you will still be able to click to add Reputation Level points to other members and you will still be able to see comments given to you by other members.

Please use discretion when leaving comments to other users. The Reputation system only allows POSITIVE points and comments from Members. Please leave praise both for posts that exhibit expertise in motor vehicle safety issues and for quality writing. Please do not give reputation clicks simply because you like someone or think they are a good poster general; the clicks are to reward members for specific posts that are particularly insightful or well-written. Please do not leave any negative comments for other users, as reputation is used only as a positive reward on Car-Seat.org. Points and comments are currently anonymous for most members, so you may not be able to see who left them to you. The exceptions are Moderators, Administrators, Benefactors and Sponsors CAN see who has left them points and comments. Comments may be made public in the future, so please be careful what comments you leave to others! Moderators and Administrators may leave both positive and negative comments, resulting in an increase or decrease in Reputation Level points. Negative reputation is at the discretion of moderators, but is usually reserved for posts that violate forum guidelines, such as advertising, spam, abusive language or behavior.

If you have any questions on the User Reputation system, please reply to this thread. If you are left inappropriate comments or believe there is any abuse of this system, please send a Private Message to Admin. I hope members will find this to be a fun feature! If there is any abuse, a user may be restricted from using the feature or the feature may be disabled altogether. The thresholds for Reputation Power points, Level points and titles will be changed in the future as the system is fine-tuned.

Thank you!

ADS

RubysGirl

NM.. I think the system wasn't working right to begin with. I used to be earning a good rep, now I'm just a cub. I see that happened to a few others too. Is there any way to know our specific level of points?

Last edited:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Go to your user control panel. Click "Edit Options". Your Reputation points are shown in the first section. "Cub Writer" is the next level above "Earning a Good CPS Reputation", so you have gained points. Existing users started with 10 points I think and new users start at 5. You shouldn't ever move down a rank unless an admin gives negative feedback for an inappropriate post or posts.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
We can give points for posts that are particularly well-written? Huh. I will have to keep that in mind! :)

I need to be writing better posts. I am only a cub. :(

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I think only a half dozen or so have moved past cub writer. Everyone else above is a moderator or Admin and started higher.

Also about reputation power. While the vast majority of users only give 1 point per click, many long time users can give 2-4 points a click. Admins and users like Papooses and Scatterbunny can give 6-10 points a click based on how long they've been registered and how many posts they have already. So, if you impress them you can get a lot at once;-) You will also get more power to give points to other users as your reputation increases.

There is one reward other than just the fun titles and reputation power increases. If you get above certain thresholds mentioned in the December update post, you move into a new usergroup with a few minor feature enhancements and separate title....

LuvBug

Would the enhancements include the bigger PM box? I miss mine! One day I had 70 something PMs and it said I was only about 75% full or so and the next day I am 100% full. I max out at 50 now :/(I dont PM that much but everything I PM is a question I need to keep the info for so I just dont delete them)

lovinwaves

So can we give points to you CPS Darren, and Julie, and other mods, and admin, and it actually mean something?

LuvBug

Can I go back and find all the posts I made as unregistered and have them added to my posts? and the ones from my old username? lol! I would have mega points then if I did that :D

(joking)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It does. Are you saying the maximum number of your PMs went down? If so, I can check into that. Did anyone else have that happen?

LuvBug

yes I assume before it was 100(because I was getting close to that, I had somewhere in the 70s, but wasnt paying close attention) and now it says it is 50.

LuvBug

it might have been 75 and I was at 70, I cant remember exactly but I know I was 'in the red zone' cause I was planning on weeding out what I didnt need to keep.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It should be fixed now. I checked and it doubles once you get the prestigious CPS Guru status;-)

I think sent messages might count against the total, so you can purge those, too.

LuvBug

thanks. I save certain sent PMs because of their content. I would just copy and save everything to my harddrive, but things get randomly deleted by one of the 4 people who use this computer, so I dont want to risk it.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Can I go back and find all the posts I made as unregistered and have them added to my posts? and the ones from my old username? lol! I would have mega points then if I did that :D

(joking)

I may be able to do it for an old username if you can supply the name and email address on the account (PM is fine). Probably not for unregistered posts unless they were all made from a unique IP address.

Simplysomething

I may be able to do it for an old username if you can supply the name and email address on the account (PM is fine). Probably not for unregistered posts unless they were all made from a unique IP address.

Is that information only available to you guys as admins?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC