A weird, random question about the Radian

HappyMomOfSix

The Radian obviously has a very slim, flat and low profile, sitting right against the seat when it's installed.

Would it not be safer for a child in an accident to be higher from the point of impact? I'm thinking of my two captain's chairs in my Suburban, second row. If we were hit in the side, wouldn't my two RF girls be better off elevated in the Britax? Honestly, I'd almost rather have Radians, because I like that slim, minimalistic look, but I've just sort of intuited that they're better off above the impact side.

Is that overthinking, or plausible?

ADS

Maedze

You're overthinking. ;)

There's no way you can predict where a car might be impact in an accident.

In fact, lower profile is potentially better....less head excursion, less chance of head impacting anything in the vehicle.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
:yeahthat:

In a Suburban, you're already higher than the point of impact for most other vehicles anyway. And really, low profile is generally better, though that's a minor amount of "better."

Pixels

It depends who you ask. Sunshine Kids (makers of the Radian) say it's better to be low profile. It reduces head excursion and improves performace in all sorts of ways. Britax says that the reason their seats sit up high is because the base is designed to crush in a crash and help absorb crash forces.

Really, rear facing is already so incredibly safe. Including and especially in side impact crashes, rear facing is safer than forward facing. Just pick whatever seat fits your vehicle, your child, your budget (and your preferences) best, install it properly, and use it correctly every time. That's the best thing that you can do for your children.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC