Could youchild passenger safety experts help clear up a disagreement?

ruthla

Some friends of mine and I recently got into an argument/discussion about whether double-buckling (putting 2 children into one seatbelt) is better or worse than not buckling in a child at all. I say it's slightly less unsafe than not restraining the child because it probably reduces the chances of the child being ejected from the vehicle in a collision. My friend says it's just as bad because the child could still be ejected from a too-loose seatbelt, plus there's the risk of damage from the poorly fitted seatbelt itself.

This is a completely theoretical argument- all of us are using appropriate carseats for our children and are appalled that people still double buckle today. One has declined to join a preschool carpool over this issue.

ADS

skaterbabs

:( Honestly, both are extremely dangerous. A child not buckled runs the risk of being ejected - two children buckled together will basically bash each other's brains out in a crash. :(

That said, if it were life and death, and there were NO OTHER OPTIONS, put the largest/oldest child in the floor of the backseat curled into a ball. It won't protect that child, but may reduce the risk of that child's body killing someone else.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Both are horrendously dangerous & I wouldn't bother arguing for a lesser evil at all :( I agree with Becky that simply puting the oldest/biggest as curled up as possible on the floor will be less risky for the other passengers -- but it better be an urgent life or death circumstance that the child must be in the vehicle :eek: Daily appointments/chores/etc. have to wait if all passengers cannot be restrained SAFELY :eek:

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I saw one of my daycare grandmas recently with her 2 grandbabies in the front seat of her truck and I'm about 98% positive she had the 2 infant seats (w/o bases) buckled in with ONE seatbelt, outboard, and her 5 yr old grandson in just the seatbelt (no booster seat, unfortunately) in the middle. I know that nothing about this situation was good, and I was SHOCKED to see the 2 infant seats sharing a seatbelt, but at the same time I thought, 'well, at least she has them buckled in' because its better than I see for most of my daycare kids. Sad, huh?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC