Things I'd like to see....

j4m4d8

I'm just musing about things I'd like to see change in the CPS world. Not what I'd like to see different about car seats themselves, just things I'd like to change.

1) CPS instruction during driver's ed. Maybe they already are somewhere? But even if they took a few minutes to show correct seat belt usage, how tightly a car seat needs to be installed, and what the harness looks like when the child is in it, it might leave a bit of a memory for later.

2) Move car seats out of infant section of discount stores! Never going to happen, I know. But wouldn't it be great if they were sold in the automotive section where they belong? There are a lot of people who are more interested in cool accessories for their car than they are in child safety. Plus having the car seats by all the bouncers and swings makes them look unnecessary.

Second choice would be to at least move all boosters without internal harnesses to the 4-7 clothing section. Kids wearing toddler-sized clothes shouldn't be riding in them anyway. Or maybe by the bikes and helmets?

3) Which brings me to putting the shirt sizes a kid would be wearing when he actually fits in the seat somewhere. I'm not sure manufacturers would ever put it on the package, but stores could do some experimenting and post it by the seat. The draw back is that clothes sizing isn't exactly standardized. But wouldn't it be great for people to know a Scenera is good from NB to 4T, a Marathon fits 6m to 5, etc. (I'm approximating based on my limited recollection.) People could still make decisions based on comfort or looks or convenience but at least they would have some idea of how long a seat would last

Actually that might be a cool list to post here. Maybe everyone can contribute. Both my kids were going from size 5 to size 6 shirts when they outgrew the Marathon. So I think most kids in a size 5 shirt would be OK, size 6 is getting iffy.

4) I wish NHTSA would change its car seat recommendations to be in line with what is considered best practice. Right now any parent reading their chart would put a child over 1 forward facing if they weighed 20 pounds. NHTSA has not yet endorsed extended rear-facing and seems to discourage it. This is reflected in what is taught in CPS Tech courses as well.

OK, any other wild and crazy thoughts?

Julie D.

ADS

RubysGirl

More standardized features on infant seats.

Reinforced handles.

five point harnesses.

Ability to use either the base or the belt directly.

Markings and warning labels about the hieght and weight on the cover, like a label at the top of the head stating that when a child reaches it, they've outgrown the seat.

I'd also like to see techs in all the hospitals to show new parents how to install the seats when they they take their baby home.

Also, it would be nice if techs could distribute seats at cost, and for it to be well known for so people are more inclined to see a tech, so they can get a good deal.

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
Great ideas!

I've been saying for years that I would like to see carseat checks be part of well-baby visits at pediatrician offices. It would be very easy for offices to have a couple nurses on staff to certify as CPSTs and walk out with parents to their vehicle and check seats/teach proper install, etc. It might cost doctors a bit more money to do this...but saving the lives of their patients would be worth it, right? I think that most peds ask whether a person is using a carseat (and whether it's RF before a year), but that's it. My ped had no clue about extended RF (she looked at me wierd when I told her that I wouldnt' be turning dd around at her 1 year checkup). If this method actually happened, parents would be getting their seats checked 5 times during the first year and once a year after that. Repetition is key.

j4m4d8

I like that! You're right, it takes more than one brief session to feel confident with car seats. And infants grow so fast, yet many parents don't seem to realize when they've outgrown their infant seat.

Ali

The hospital where I delivered offers a "Safety Course" - babyproofing, carseats, etc. I didn't take it (wasn't offered when I had DD) but a friend did and she loved it! It convinced her to keep her DD RF as long as possible!

Morganthe

Hmmm, I'd like to see some type plan sponsored perhaps by cs manufacturers that encouraged a trade-in of the old car seat for some type of small discount on the next stage of cs, especially for those that are almost or definitely past the expiration date.

Car seats are one of those things that you're not supposed to use second hand, but what do you do with the stupid thing other than throw it away? Another potential landfill problem? A recycle program would be appreciated, by me at least :D

Lea_Ontario

To see ONLY certified techs be able to sell seats in stores (i.e. if Babies R Us wants to sell a car-seat, they have to have a certified tech in store at all times they are open)

Tara

I'm big on the 'recycling discount' idea. Have thought that one myself many times.
Ah yes, a tech at authorized dealers/car seat stores..good one.
And I suppose the tech check at baby well visits would be good too ... I just don't do doctors visits. I wonder how many are like me in that but are less educated about car seat safety ???

I have nothing new to add. Just giving a thumbs up to those.

abacus2

How about regulations requiring car seats to be designed to hold a seatbelt tight, not just new cars having seatbelts designed to hold a car seat tight?

Car seat instructions should describe how seatbelts lock rather than only describing how to use a locking clip. Before coming to this site, I thought from reading my car seat manuals that lap-shoulder belts needed a locking clip unless they had the same kind of bulky latchplate used on lap-only belts.

Booster instructions should list 4 as a minimum age for a HBB and age 6 as a minimum for a BB.

Convertible car seats should instruct parents to use them RF to the limits of the seat AND 1 year. Even in the manuals that recommend extended RF, it looks like an afterthought the way it's written. This should also lead the manufacturers to put in higher harness slots as parents will get mad if they use it RF to the limits and their kid has already outgrown it FF.

All combination seats should harness to at least 50lbs with at least 17" top slots.

I don't know if this is true yet, but all passenger seating positions should have lap/shoulder belts and headrests. They also should all have tether anchors and preferably LATCH. And LATCH/tethers should be rated to at least 100lbs, preferably the same level as seatbelts.

Morganthe

I don't know if this is true yet, but all passenger seating positions should have lap/shoulder belts and headrests.

YES!!!

I am in such agreement with you on this. It was one of my pet peeves when we were overseas. Believe it or not, the same exact models of cars sold over there as here in the US-- ALL come with HEADRESTS!
The major model as an example immediately comes to mind is the Ford Focus. We were looking at the wagon to purchase through AAFES before we came back.
Back seat was lower and lacked head support like the German specs models had. It's not by law, since there are cars sold in Germany without headrests -- some models of Polos and econocars. What gives? Why was it not even offered as an option. The Irish salesmen were at a loss to provide a reason why since the Irish Focus also had headrests in all 5 positions. :confused:

Now what I could not understand is that if we moved to Iceland, we would have to take out all removable headrests from any car we owned. We got this straight from the embassy & usafe website on personal import laws. Completely baffled us as to the reason why. :confused: Since there's no longer an official base, we won't have to worry about that requirement now. ;)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
  • 4-point belts for front seats
  • adjustable/removable headrests for all back seats
  • carseat recycle incentive
  • Retailors, vehicle dealerships & Peds. employing CPSTs!
  • 2 years or 35 pounds minimum FF requirement
  • 49" tall minimum no booster requirement
  • EPS foam standard in head area of all seats
  • optional foot rests
  • no more back harness adjusters EVER AGAIN
  • more reverse belt path installation seats
(I'm sure I started off with more....)

Last edited:

tchrgrrl

To see ONLY certified techs be able to sell seats in stores (i.e. if Babies R Us wants to sell a car-seat, they have to have a certified tech in store at all times they are open)
YES! Or at the very least someone who has installed/used a seat before, not a 16 year old who points out the "cutest" covers. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC