Question Flying, car rental, three kids with car seats

dazzerb

What do you typically do?

I am flying to Europe in a few weeks with wife and three kids (2 boosters and 1 infant). Have rented seats from rental car companies in past but they are expensive and my experience is that the seats are dirty, damaged and generally not comfortable letting my kids in them.

So we are going to bring our own which means lugging a lot more stuff.

I have read that you can bring the seats to the gate and check them there (with the stroller) as checking them with normal luggage risks them getting lost. I would prefer to check them as with connections it would be just too much stuff to carry through the airports.

What do you all do? If you check them with normal luggage do you pack them in something? if so what do you use? Do airlines let you bring them to the gate? Do the count as luggage?

Any advise/comments welcome

Thanks

ADS

mum2two

How old and how much does each child weigh? That will determine whether the one's in booster can use a backless or high back booster. What seats do you currently own?

Midwife@heart

First I would find out if my 2 children in boosters can actually still fit in a 5 point harness and if they do, then I would buy plane seats for each child and have them use the carseats in the plane. If boosters have to be used for the older two then I would gate check them even though I would prefer not to for fear of been damaged.

ctbcleveland

Most airlines I've travelled on do not count carseats as luggage. Assuming you've bought 5 tickets, I don't think they'd have a problem with three carseats and a stroller for your entire party.

Gate checking is a little different than regular checking. You will be responsible for transporting the seat throughout the airport and to each connection. However, I think there is less chance of your seat getting lost - because it doesn't get routed through baggage claim.

For whatever reason, I am more comfortable with the thought of checking boosters than harnessed seats. I think it is because they are easier to look over for damage to the plastic and there aren't straps to get torn, etc. I'd still pad them in a box or suitcase to protect them. Also, boosters are more or less universal while it could be very tricky to learn to install a new harnessed seat in the event yours get damaged in transit.

I'd really consider carrying on at least the harnessed seat on the plane.

There are many lighter weight harnessed seats that won't be as big of a burden to carry and there are products available to transport harnessed seats if you don't want a new one. Plus, your littlest one might be more comfortable sleeping in a car seat on the plane rather than the adult seat.

Again, we can help with answers once you provide your childrens' statistics.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
First I would find out if my 2 children in boosters can actually still fit in a 5 point harness and if they do, then I would buy plane seats for each child and have them use the carseats in the plane. If boosters have to be used for the older two then I would gate check them even though I would prefer not to for fear of been damaged.

As long as they're on an American carrier. Most international carriers do not allow kids over 36 months to use a restraint on a plane, and they do not allow rear facing restraints at all, and some don't allow restraints for kids under six months (they require lap babies).

Wendy

Midwife@heart

As long as they're on an American carrier. Most international carriers do not allow kids over 36 months to use a restraint on a plane, and they do not allow rear facing restraints at all, and some don't allow restraints for kids under six months (they require lap babies).

Wendy

WOW, that's just wrong in so many ways.

dazzerb

thanks everyone.

Going to check everything as it will be physically impossible to lug all this through the airport and through security. Just now going to try find some bag/case/etc. to pack the seats in.

I know a big risk as they might get lost but will deal with that if happens.

BTW: older kids are in backless boosters (Combi Dakota) and infant is in Britax Marathon.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC