Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Funny front seat question...

Someone on my due in board bought the Safeseat. Baby is born and seat used so returning is not an option. They are also getting a new car soon so this would be temporary. The seat does not fit in the backseat of the DH's car and the front seat has an airbag. So the DH's solution was to remove the front seat completely. lol Is this o.k.? IMO it seems it would be o.k. b/c the carseat would be far enough away from the airbag. Thoughts? He only uses the car to drive 6 blocks residential 2x a day to take and get baby from daycare.
    Jennifer, Special Needs CPST, peds nurse, and CSFTL Admin mom to:
    AJ-13 (five steps), Evan-11 (nbb),
    Ilana-9 (nbb) ,
    Olivia-7 (hbb), and
    Unity-3 (rf and ff)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy
    So it's on the passenger side in the back, no seat in front of it?

I think that's fine. I'm not a tech though, but I think it's fine.

CPS Technician
    Is the center seat not an option?

What about traveling with the handle up?

Did the push the front seat as far forward as it will go?

Susan
    Mommy to my angel, Ethan Daniel (8/5/07-8/6/07)
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.
    Child Passenger Safety Tech

CPST Instructor
    I suggest they seek help with a CPS tech in their area. There are a lot of tricks we can do to help with installation.
    Jenny
    Senior CPS Tech-Instructor & Mommy of 2 girls
    K1 12 yrs old- 61" & 100lbs in vehicle seat belt
    K2 10 yrs old- 59" & 92lbs in vehicle seat belt

The only safety issue I know about, and I know this because my parents own car washes, is that reinstalling that passenger seat needs to be done correctly. They need to have it reinstalled by the dealership, or use a torque wrench that will let you know the correct pressure. Ok kind of hard to explain, but I think you get the jist.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

My first thought was..did they try moving the front passenger seat up all the way first? Removing a seat seems like such a drastic measure.
    Then..if they had and the infant seat still wouldn't fit..then I'm not sure I'd believe removing the front seat would be a grand idea. I mean, how much space is then left between the dash and the infant seat? Would a deployed airbag reach that far? I don't know how far they go, but I'm just thinking if the space was *that* small that it seemed the only option was to remove the front seat ?? Thus taking away the only barrier between the air bag and infant seat. Know what I"m saying?
    Hmm weird
    Sure, I'd think...removing the seat, not a big deal/hazard in and of itself..initially.
    But then came that 'space' issue ya know?
    I just can't help but think, if the space was *that* tight to begin with, that the seat was removed to accomodate the infant seat in the BACK..is there sufficient room left before the air bag now?
    Verrrrrrrrry interesting dilemma

~Tara~
    7 kids in 3 seats
    Ages 16yr - 2yr

CPS Technician

Re: Funny front seat question...

I should've mentioned it's a 2 door car, so that will help you know how small the car is. I know you need at least 10" between you and where the airbag deploys, so I'm guessing fully deployed it goes 10-12"?

Melissa, I will let them know about reinstalling the seat. Thanks!

I think they are going to see a tech, but they thought they'd ask me first. lol I thought it was an interesting solution to say the least.
    Jennifer, Special Needs CPST, peds nurse, and CSFTL Admin mom to:
    AJ-13 (five steps), Evan-11 (nbb),
    Ilana-9 (nbb) ,
    Olivia-7 (hbb), and
    Unity-3 (rf and ff)

Oh yes, interesting hehe
    Sounds like something my dh would do LOL
    I gotta watch that one I'm tellin ya

~Tara~
    7 kids in 3 seats
    Ages 16yr - 2yr

I'd call the vehicle manufacturer Then again, I was nervous about removing the middle row which has actually has the intentional opion to be removed
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

I know it's not the same, but wouldn't that make the babies seat the front seat? I realize it'd be further into the car...etc.

Grr. I think, maybe we just need to stop having so many different cars. Makes it too confusing.
    apparently, people put stuff here.
    imagine:
    photos of my extremely adorable spawn.
    their stats and a
    witty quote.

posted from my computer using the internet...
    Super SEEEEKRIT stuff here.

Get a new car seat.
    Did he actually already remove it?
    A SS1 is a huge seat. I cannot fit it with the base in the back of my Forester, and can barely fit it without the base with the handle down.
    I think what he did/wants to do just seems like a bad idea... what about just using it without the base?