Funny front seat question...

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Someone on my due in board bought the Safeseat. Baby is born and seat used so returning is not an option. They are also getting a new car soon so this would be temporary. The seat does not fit in the backseat of the DH's car and the front seat has an airbag. So the DH's solution was to remove the front seat completely. lol Is this o.k.? IMO it seems it would be o.k. b/c the carseat would be far enough away from the airbag. Thoughts? He only uses the car to drive 6 blocks residential 2x a day to take and get baby from daycare.

ADS

RubysGirl

So it's on the passenger side in the back, no seat in front of it?

I think that's fine. I'm not a tech though, but I think it's fine.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Is the center seat not an option?

What about traveling with the handle up?

Did the push the front seat as far forward as it will go?

Susan

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I suggest they seek help with a CPS tech in their area. There are a lot of tricks we can do to help with installation.

lovinwaves

The only safety issue I know about, and I know this because my parents own car washes, is that reinstalling that passenger seat needs to be done correctly. They need to have it reinstalled by the dealership, or use a torque wrench that will let you know the correct pressure. Ok kind of hard to explain, but I think you get the jist.

Tara

My first thought was..did they try moving the front passenger seat up all the way first? Removing a seat seems like such a drastic measure.
Then..if they had and the infant seat still wouldn't fit..then I'm not sure I'd believe removing the front seat would be a grand idea. I mean, how much space is then left between the dash and the infant seat? Would a deployed airbag reach that far? I don't know how far they go, but I'm just thinking if the space was *that* small that it seemed the only option was to remove the front seat ?? Thus taking away the only barrier between the air bag and infant seat. Know what I"m saying?
Hmm weird
Sure, I'd think...removing the seat, not a big deal/hazard in and of itself..initially.
But then came that 'space' issue ya know?
I just can't help but think, if the space was *that* tight to begin with, that the seat was removed to accomodate the infant seat in the BACK..is there sufficient room left before the air bag now?
Verrrrrrrrry interesting dilemma

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I should've mentioned it's a 2 door car, so that will help you know how small the car is. I know you need at least 10" between you and where the airbag deploys, so I'm guessing fully deployed it goes 10-12"?

Melissa, I will let them know about reinstalling the seat. Thanks!

I think they are going to see a tech, but they thought they'd ask me first. lol I thought it was an interesting solution to say the least.

Tara

Oh yes, interesting hehe
Sounds like something my dh would do LOL
I gotta watch that one I'm tellin ya ;)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'd call the vehicle manufacturer :eek: Then again, I was nervous about removing the middle row which has actually has the intentional opion to be removed :rolleyes:

Simplysomething

I know it's not the same, but wouldn't that make the babies seat the front seat? I realize it'd be further into the car...etc.

Grr. I think, maybe we just need to stop having so many different cars. Makes it too confusing. ;)

Splash

Get a new car seat.
Did he actually already remove it?
A SS1 is a huge seat. I cannot fit it with the base in the back of my Forester, and can barely fit it without the base with the handle down.
I think what he did/wants to do just seems like a bad idea... what about just using it without the base?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC