15 passenger van & toddler/preschool field trip

April

I got a notice today from Riley and Rayn's preschool, that they are going on a field trip to the beach on Friday in the 15 passenger van, and they need us to sign permission slips and "leave" our car seats.

They already know how I feel about the van, as I have Griffin and Faith in a before & after school program at a different centre, specifically so they are transported in a school bus.

Anyways, here are my concerns:

1.) Its a 15 passenger van, going to be fully loaded with screaming 3 & 4 year olds;

2.) They want us to "leave" our seats for them, presumably so they can install them, and I have zero faith that they know how to do it properly;

3.) I'm sure the majority of these kids are in backless boosters. In fact, I know that some of them are in expired shield boosters. There are no headrests. I doubt that there are any tether anchors, and tethering is mandatory in Canada for FF harnessed seats. (Not a chance that my kids are going in boosters!)

4.) Obviously, I'm 95% sure I won't be letting them go, but am I going to be that crazy mom? Are my kids going to be scarred for life because they missed this trip? Can't I just take them on Saturday?

I guess I just need some trusted opinions. So...WWYD?

ETA: There is no way of DH or I driving them, as we are both working over an hour away that day.

ADS

Qarin

I think going on Saturday is the way better idea, between car safety and water safety for a bunch of 3-4 year old kids, my head would be spinning.

Evolily

yeah- I don't think so. Especially not to the beach with all those kids. Maybe if they had like a 1 to 2 adult/child ratio, but even then- I'm not so sure.

2BunniesMommy

I wouldn't let mine go. I am sure I will be "that crazy mom." I will deal with that when the time comes. There is first of all the issue of the car seat, I too would not trust anyone else to install it. At least not if I couldn't do a final check. Then there is the issue of who is driving the van and would I trust them to do so with so many kids. Also, I would not want my child at the beach without me. So, its a no go in my book.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
Beach like the ocean or a lake? If it's the ocean there would be no way in heck that I'd send my kid on that field trip. Actually, I'm surprised they would attempt it as it is. If it's a lake, I might be more inclined to send them but I would make sure that I could install their seats myself.

MJHY27

It would be a "heck no" from me as well. I would allow it only if I could go with them and drive them myself. I have been to a lake beach with a play group when all mommies were present and it was crazy enough, I can't imagine a situation with a lesser ratio of adults to 3/4 yo. Also I can't imagine the person who gets to drive that van will be able to be 100% focused on driving with all those kids.
Don't worry your not "that crazy mom" your a smart mom for trusting your mommy instincts :)

Northriver

Parents drive on our school trips. I either drive or don't let my child go. When I do drive, I install as many of my own seats as fit in my can and choose appropriatly sized kids to ride with me in MY seats, I won't take them in boosters. My child attends a fancy schmancy preschool and some kids don't even have boosters in their $60,000 cars, it is really so sad.

Anyway, I would not let my preschooler go to the beach unless the ration was 1 adult: 2 kids or less.

As for the van, you could probably arrange install the seat yourself before school started. That doesn't address your other issues, however.

I'm obviously standing proud and tall with you in the "that crazy mom" group!

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
April, if you don't let them go what will you do with them that day? If one of you will have to take the day off anyway I'd just take them to the field trip in your own car. In any case, I just wouldn't let him go.

Ds is currently in a home daycare and the DCP does NOT transport children, EVER. I've been happy with this arrangement. In September he starts pre-K. They do field trips fairly often, on a school bus. Ds will be 4. This is legal here in CT but I'm not crazy about it. Dh and I have decided that we will sometimes keep him home (with a retired family member) and sometimes take off work and drive him ourselves. And, perhaps, for closer trips let him take the bus. We're still working that out. But if they had a van, and needed car seats? Forget it!

April

Its the ocean. There are 25 kids in their class and I think 5 teachers, but only 1/3 of the class is going that day. (The other two thirds will go other days). So I'm going to ask if they can just stay at school with the other kids who are doing the beach on different days. If for some reason they can't, I've already asked a friend to watch them that day.

I'm glad to hear I'm not nuts for not letting them go. Riley's still 2 (three at the end of August), and Rayn is still 3, (turning four at the end of July). I'm just not at all ready for them to be going on driving field trips yet, especially to the beach, and especially in that death trap of a van.

Thank you everyone for the reassurance!:thumbsup:

Auntie2Avi

It sounds like you have a good plan. I would not let them go to the beach, it sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Jenifer

When my son was in preschool I had the same problem. I had a serious discussion with the Director and the issues with the vans. I see them around town regularly and they are very good drivers as well as cautious. I worked with one person that I was comfortable with and she demonstrated to me that she was capable of installing the seat and my child in the seat. On the permission forms, I noted that only the prescribed person could install the seat and my son in the prescribed way.

April

Told the preschool this morning that they won't be going. They are going to let them just stay at the school with the other two groups, so it's all good. You guys totally made me feel better about my decision though, so thanks again!:love:

sparkyd

I think going on Saturday is the way better idea, between car safety and water safety for a bunch of 3-4 year old kids, my head would be spinning.

:yeahthat:

Yeah, I'd be a nervous wreck. Haven't those 15 passenger vans been banned from use for transporting high school kids in some places in Canada? I wouldn't want my kid in one, no matter what the car seat situation. And then the water thing is just a whole other issue. If I'm not mistaken I think the #1 and #2 causes of death (in Canada) for children are car crashes followed by drowning. I'd be a mess worrying about both in one day.

Here here for crazy Moms! :thumbsup:

mrs.christie

You are not crazy at all! I can't believe the school and other parents find this okay. Installing unfamiliar seats seems like a huge liability issue. There is no way the staff would be able to ensure all the seats are installed correctly.

Until a few weeks ago I worked for a preschool that did the very same thing. I let them know how unsafe it is and that I would not participate in it, and well now it looks like I'm taking an early and permanent maternity leave. :eek:

April

I would've let them go to a 1ft deep pool, IF they weren't going in that wretched van, and IF there was a lifeguard. Riley is so terrified of water that he probably wouldn't even go in anyways, and Rayn seems to be okay in a foot of water.

The director of the school knows exactly how I feel about that van. I'm sure they already thought I was a little nutty, because I may possibly have left news articles on 15passenger van safety on her desk:whistle: Oh, and then there was that time when I told another parent that their seat was expired (shield booster for a 3 year old), and another time when I went in and found the parent who had left their infant in the car alone when it was scorching hot outside. So yeah, I'm sure they think I'm nuts anyways.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I'm just shocked that they would take kids that young to the beach!!! That's crazy!! My kids do not do water without me. Well, ok, dd is an excellent swimmer and this week I let her go to the pool with a friend. I trust her mom and trust dd not to drown herself! But, I wouldn't let her go to the beach where there are so many other issues. Undertow, waves, currents, etc. FAR too scary for a group of toddlers.

Add the 15 pass van on top of that and I'd say no way.

I don't think you are crazy at all. I'm shocked other parents are allowing their kids to go!

Evolily

and another time when I went in and found the parent who had left their infant in the car alone when it was scorching hot outside.

Dude, she's lucky I didn't find the baby. I wouldn't bothered to find her first- the kid would have been OUT of the car and the police called before she got to the parking lot :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC