Radian XT woes

Splash

So I got my XT today and tried it out...
They must have made changes to the shell. SOMETHING was changed. Joy and Starr can both vouch for the fact that it simply was not possible to install it center in my car when I tried ~18 months ago. I even dented my roof trying. Nor could I install it outboard with belt.

So today, belt install. Outboard first try rock solid with very minimal effort. Center took some grunting, and it didn't shake the vehicle, but it got in there well within acceptable limits.

What gives? What changed? Can those rubber grippy strips make that big a difference? I noticed it's also easier to install the MA in the center than the BV, only difference is the rubber grippy strips. But I can't believe that that was all it took.

So, I love the fit. But Charlie is a no go. He hated it just as much as he did when I bought the first one over a year ago. He sulked and wanted OUT immediately. He kept asking for his blue seat back (MA). So I don't know what to do.

He is THERE in the MA. But sometimes he looks like he has lots of room. But, I'd say it's safe to say he's got at least 8 more months in the MA. After that, then what? I want to get rid of the FN, I have no use for that thing. I suppose at that time I could buy whatever is on the market or just go with a GN, which fits beautifully and he likes.

The only thing I don't like about the MA center as it is now is that it is WAY off center. Completely. Like, only half of it is on the hump. It's between the stalks (the stalks are super widely spaced), and I have some major compression to pretty much obliterate that hump. But I still would like it more centered. RN was a bit off center but not nearly as much. Plus, RN sits low, I like that better.

What should I do? And how much more harness room does a FN have over a RN?

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
ah, carseat woes.

i can't really answer much, except the last part...it all depends on the vehicle and install, but hoenstly, my dd doesn't have any extra room in a fn over a radian. For us, the fn and 50-lb aoe top slots are nearly identical, the radian a smidge higher, and the gn a smidge over that.

why is it you do not want to use the gn again? if it fits beautifully and he likes it?

Splash

The crotch strap is too shallow, and it's difficult to get in around the armrests. Those are the reasons I bought the *%&# FN to begin with... adjustable crotch strap and flip up armrests. With the RN, he can slip right in with no difficulties whatsoever.

emandbri

Is he on the top slots on the MA? When did he move to them? Daniel was just over the third slot a 3 1/2 and fit until 6 1/2 and with Benjamin I moved Benjamin's to the top slots around 3 and he fit until 5 1/2. He might fit longer than you think.

Benjamin seems to have more room in the radian than the frontier. There are pictures here but I can't post the link with my iPod, the title of the thread is "would this bug you."

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
The FN offers a solid inch more grow room than the XT does for ds.

4" until even with top slots...

IMG_2654.jpg

3" until even with top slots...

IMG_2657.jpg

southpawboston

S
What gives? What changed? Can those rubber grippy strips make that big a difference? I noticed it's also easier to install the MA in the center than the BV, only difference is the rubber grippy strips. But I can't believe that that was all it took.

be careful, any rubbery stuff may give you a false sense of a tight install ;) :rolleyes:

my2kidsSafe

splash i think it might be easier for you to find a new car, as opposed to finding a new carseat that will work. Not sure how many more options you have.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Can Charlie tell you what he hates about the RN? Is it the color, or did he get a "mommy-hates-that-seat" vibe when you had trouble with the first one, or is he truly uncomfortable in it, or ?

mamabear

I don't have any advice as you've probably tried more seats than I've ever seen in real life.....

but I'm Sooooooo glad you tried it in your car, and got an acceptable install, because you told me it couldn't be done and you did it!!!!!.

I'm glad to know I'm not crazy:p I almost doubted myself.............almost;)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Have you tried the Safeguard Child Seat? :confused: I'm not sure there's much left that you haven't already tried. The newish Dorel 3-in-1s? The upcoming Air Protect/Complete Air?

Splash

Oh he's fine in the seat he's in for now. I've no interest in trying any more seats. Well, interest yes, intent no. I might still burn the FN and keep the RN just because.
What does Charlie dislike about he RN? It's not the MA. That seat has been his level favorite since we got it. He likes the color mostly (denim), and the fact that he can sit in the middle and is high enough to see out the windows. He even wanted it when I had Sam in it.
I think if I were to put him in the XT when he's not tired or grumpy, he might be okay. But all the same, he loves the MA.
For being in the center, he's okay in what he's in. Once he moves to the side (which he'll have to when Sam outgrows the Coccoro or when I just get tired of having him there), he can't stay in the MA (which is what Sam will move into), because it's too hard to load from the side.

Depending on how he sits, he's occasionally under the third slots. In the store, he's right at the top. Outboard, he's about 1/2" under the top. Center, with it really jammed upright, he's probably 1.5" from the top. If he slouches, he can wiggle himself down to the second. I had him in the second to top RN slots and he was dead even with them, but needed nearly the lowest headrest position. Maybe he just has a short neck. If I could get another 2 years out of the MA, I'd be thrilled. 1.5 and I would be fine with, and likely move him to a booster after that. Maybe. But in two years Sam will be FF as well. Aye.

emandbri

Benjamin was quite upset when I moved him from the MA to the radian but after a week he was fine with it.

Splash

See, I tried a RN about 18ish months ago, and he hated it. He screamed every time he was in it. I ended up selling it almost brand new for really cheap just to get it out of my house. I wish now that I had kept it, since I barely got anything for it anyway.

I've got 90 days to return it to Target. When I get back from vaca I'll put the FN on CL and see if it moves. If I sell it for a decent price, I'll keep the RN. Otherwise, I'll take the RN back and wait.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Ah, okay. I was just thinking maybe this was one of those issues like I had with Macha insisting that most comfortable seat was the prettiest one (aka, the pink one) and maybe a few patches on the cover or something would help. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC