Test drove the CRV and RDX

steph

Okay so I went and took some cars for a test drive.

First let me say that the Audi A4 ruined me:D - nothing seems to compare but I think the RDX is better than the CRV because it has turbo (however, you can hear the turbo part of the engine when you accelerate).

Also the CRV has the center seatbelt coming from the ceiling (no thanks - I hate that feature in our Pilot) and although it has LATCH in the center I don't like not being able to have a user friendly seatbelt.

The RDX is nice but I had a hard time finding the LATCH anchors (when I felt for them) plus I don't know how much more width it will give me - definately more leg room.

I did test drive the Audi Q7 - drives really nice, great back seat (here is something interesting the LATCH anchors aren't hidden between the seats they are recessed in the actual seat and you can see them). The only draw back to this car is the trunk part - it is roomy length and width wise but it doesn't have alot of height.

So I guess the search continues....I'm just not sure what I want and although I liked the Q7 and RDX I don't know if in the long run I will be happy.

Back to searching for other possibilities.....................

ADS

Lilsid

My mom just got the new Saab 95 Sport Combi and she loves it. They took it from AZ to Vancouver BC last week and she said it was the best ride they ever took. It has latch for the outboard seats only, but I have not played with it yet to see how easy it is to use. It has 3pt. belts in all rear seats. http://www.saabusa.com/saabjsp/95w/index.jsp

TXDani

Senior Community Member
If you liked the RDX then you could look into the MDX which would give you more room. What about the Volvo XC90?

ccjones

Two questions...

Did the CRV seem somewhat "wimpy" to you? I was thinking of test driving one before I go ahead and buy the Pilot. Since I can't have anymore kids, it's just going to be the three of us plus two big dogs and I was thinking maybe I should buy something smaller. However, I was looking at the specs for the CRV, and saw it's only a 4-cylinder (no turbocharger) and it only has 166hp. That doesn't seem like much "get-up-and-go" for a small SUV.

Onto the RDX, would you say that it's pretty much the same size as the CRV? It seems to me they're built on the same frame/chassis. I could be wrong, though. And other than the seatbelt that comes out of the ceiling in the Hondas, which vehicle do you like the best overall: CRV, Pilot, or RDX?

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
My BFF just got a Mazda Tribute. You can use LATCH in the center, but ONLY when the manufacturer OK's it. Right now I think Britax is the only brand that approves non-standard distance LATCH anchors.

She says it looks just like a toyota highlander...and is LESS than the CR-V.

Susan

steph

Two questions...

Did the CRV seem somewhat "wimpy" to you? I was thinking of test driving one before I go ahead and buy the Pilot. Since I can't have anymore kids, it's just going to be the three of us plus two big dogs and I was thinking maybe I should buy something smaller. However, I was looking at the specs for the CRV, and saw it's only a 4-cylinder (no turbocharger) and it only has 166hp. That doesn't seem like much "get-up-and-go" for a small SUV.

Onto the RDX, would you say that it's pretty much the same size as the CRV? It seems to me they're built on the same frame/chassis. I could be wrong, though. And other than the seatbelt that comes out of the ceiling in the Hondas, which vehicle do you like the best overall: CRV, Pilot, or RDX?

Colleen -

It wasn't as "wimpy" as I thought but it wasn't my A4 or even the RDX. The RDX is suppose to be the same size as the CRV but for some reason it seemed a little smaller (but I think it was the head room that made the CRV seem bigger - the RDX seems more curvy if that makes sense).

The reason I don't like the seatbelt coming out of the ceiling on the Pilot is that it is a PITA to get a good install....I did manage but it is not quick - took me about 30 minutes - so when I saw the same seatbelt on the CRV I wasn't thrilled.

As far as what car is better - I would probably take the CRV out of the mix....then it depends on what you want - the Pilot is bigger and has more room and the RDX is smaller and more compact. They are both nice. The Pilot drives more like a SUV where the RDX feels more like a Sedan. I would test drive all three though (just because the CRV is at the same dealership as the Pilot) but I think you may be happier with the Pilot since you have big dogs.....we have a Rottweiler and it would be a tight squeeze in the back of the RDX - on the other hand the cargo area of the CRV is bigger than the RDX (the bottom of the RDX's cargo area is high so the height (floor to ceiling) is not as big as the CRV). Hope all that makes sense.

HTH

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Have you looked at the Pontiac Torrant or Saturn Vue? Or are you only looking at foreign vehicles?

I test drove the Torrant and it was a nice ride and had plenty of power.

lovinwaves

While my Honda was getting an oil change yesterday, I went snooping around at the new cars. he he

Anywho, there was a greenish looking new CRV sitting outside and it looked ssooooo good! I am not a fan of green, but this looked beautiful, with the tan interior. That CRV is very stylish. It kinds of reminds me of the BMW suv.

Just wanted to add that I also noticed the HOnda Ridgeline Truck had three sets of latch anchors in the back. It looked like you could definitely get three MA's across. :D

steph

Have you looked at the Pontiac Torrant or Saturn Vue? Or are you only looking at foreign vehicles?

I test drove the Torrant and it was a nice ride and had plenty of power.

I have to admit I am partial to foreign cars...just like the styling better:D

But I am open to suggestions!!!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
If it makes you feel more inclined to check it out, the V6 version of the Saturn Vue has a Honda engine. ;)

ccjones

That's funny that you think the Pilot drives like an SUV. When I test drove it, I thought it drove like a sedan, compared to my Xterra and our Jeep Wrangler! LOL We have a black lab and a great dane, and while I don't transport the dogs very often, it would be nice to have enough room in case I need to take them to the vet or something.

My Xterra had the center seatbelt that comes out of the ceiling, and I have to agree that it's not my favorite feature. However, I plan on installing my son's MA on an outboard seat (probably passenger side) in the 2nd row using LATCH. Unless I'm transporting alot of people, I don't ever plan to use the center seatbelt that comes from the ceiling.

I'm not even going to waste my time test driving the CRV then, since it sounds like its going to be too small for my needs. I hope to buy a Pilot next week sometime.

Have you looked at either the BMW X3 or X5? What about one of the Mercedes R-Class Sport Tourers? And I'm sure you've already thought about VW Touareg, although I've heard they aren't the most reliable of vehicles.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Kudos to Honda for not getting caught up in the HP wars in the CR-V. Its fuel economy numbers on regular gas are actually pretty reasonable. My wife's Outback has a similar sized engine and weight. It's not going to blow anyone away at the stop, but it gets around fine.

ccjones

Kudos to Honda for not getting caught up in the HP wars in the CR-V. Its fuel economy numbers on regular gas are actually pretty reasonable. My wife's Outback has a similar sized engine and weight. It's not going to blow anyone away at the stop, but it gets around fine.

True, but in my case, I went from a 4-cylinder, turbocharged 315hp Subaru WRX STi to a 265hp V6 Nissan Xterra, so the plain 4-cylinder 166hp CRV seems pretty paltry in comparison. It's all in what you're used to, I guess!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It's funny how 15 years ago the "Pocket Rocket" small sedans would brag about having 140hp and 160hp was awesome. Today, even 200hp is not going to win any awards on paper or at the track. It's no mystery why we have roller coaster gas prices and will be involved in middle east politics for eternity.

Granted, driving a WRX or a Corvette or a Miata is where you expect to have performance and handling with little regard for fuel economy. For me, I'd prefer the entry and mid level sedans, SUVs and minivans to eek out a few more mpg. I'd be happy with 198 HP and a 0-60 time of 10 seconds in my Odyssey if I could get a couple more mpg out of it. Instead they force me to take 244hp and 8 second 0-60 times when I'm hauling around kids every day in the suburbs and having to stop every quarter mile for another light or sign:-(

At least Toyota gave buyers the choice of a 4 or a 6 in the RAV4 so everyone can be happy;-) Honda makes you go to the upscale RDX for some extra muscle.

lovinwaves

Have you looked at either the BMW X3 or X5? What about one of the Mercedes R-Class Sport Tourers? And I'm sure you've already thought about VW Touareg, although I've heard they aren't the most reliable of vehicles.

I don't know about price range, but you just made a big jump with the BMW, Mercedes, and Touareg.....awwwww the Touareg, it makes me smile with glee, oh how I want one, but not the hefty payment :D

Also, where did you hear the Touareg was not the most reliable vehicles. We have had VW's and loved them, and not had any probs. :)

ccjones

I don't know about price range, but you just made a big jump with the BMW, Mercedes, and Touareg.....awwwww the Touareg, it makes me smile with glee, oh how I want one, but not the hefty payment :D

Also, where did you hear the Touareg was not the most reliable vehicles. We have had VW's and loved them, and not had any probs. :)

Well, saa2006 mentioned in one of her other posts that she's considering the Audi Q7, so the price range for the above vehicles isn't too far of a jump.

I get Forbes magazine and about a year ago, they had an article on the state of VW in America. It was NOT a glowing article, and a rep. from VW conceded that the US division needed to improve in the areas of Quality Control and Customer Service. The article also mentioned that the Touareg had several minor mechanical and electrical problems. They could be resolved by now, though.

However, on a personal note, one of my friends bought a Touareg last year and the auto-dimming mirror/compass/thermometer stopped working. Five trips to various VW dealerships later and three mirrors later, it still didn't work, and she was so pissed at the unhelpful, unfriendly service she got from the local VW dealerships, that she took her Touareg to Carmax and traded it in and took the money and bought herself a new BMW X5 instead! LOL

steph

I know that a Audi is a VW but somehow it just doesn't seem the same:D maybe it is all in the price tag!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I have a natural aversion to VW since I had a "bad apple" of a jetta when I was in high school!!!:D

I am not nuts about the BMW only because my inlaws both have BMW's and they always seem to have problems and they are 05 and 07!!!

I really like the Q7 but I just can't justify the payment, KWIM?

I throughly searched last night and came up with a few more options
they are all cheaper than the Q7 - at least according to Edmunds!

Infiniti FX35
Lexus ES350(sedan - may not be much bigger than the Audi though)
Lexus RX350
Nissan Murano
Saab 9-5 wagon
Volvo XC90
Acura RDX
Honda CRV (haven't complety ruled it out):p

I forgot to add that the gas mileage on the Q7 is 14 city and 19 highway!!! That is horrible gas mileage - I don't think I could get something that wasn't even in the 20's for at least highway!!

Last edited:

lovinwaves

Well, saa2006 mentioned in one of her other posts that she's considering the Audi Q7, so the price range for the above vehicles isn't too far of a jump.

I get Forbes magazine and about a year ago, they had an article on the state of VW in America. It was NOT a glowing article, and a rep. from VW conceded that the US division needed to improve in the areas of Quality Control and Customer Service. The article also mentioned that the Touareg had several minor mechanical and electrical problems. They could be resolved by now, though.

However, on a personal note, one of my friends bought a Touareg last year and the auto-dimming mirror/compass/thermometer stopped working. Five trips to various VW dealerships later and three mirrors later, it still didn't work, and she was so pissed at the unhelpful, unfriendly service she got from the local VW dealerships, that she took her Touareg to Carmax and traded it in and took the money and bought herself a new BMW X5 instead! LOL

Thanks for your response! :D

TXDani

Senior Community Member
My sister used to be a service advisor at VW and the Touaregs have had a slew of electrical problems since day one. Most owners who bought within the first year or two not only had to come in often for various recalls but were also always in for service more then a few times a month. They may have worked all the bugs out now that it has been on the market for a few years.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC