Just for fun, WWYD?

RubysGirl

Booster outboard, like the parkway or recaro, OR ride safer vest in the middle lap belt tethered?

Which do you think is safer, why?

Easier?

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Assuming the child fits the RSTV & won't mess with the buckle(s) -- also assuming the vehicle offers enough head/spine protection -- I'd much rather have it in the center than a booster outboard....

The center is so much safer in side impacts (which, although less common are more severe/fatal), plus the RSTV sits further back & low.

skaterbabs

depends on the child, and care taker, and the vehicle.
All things being equal, with a child over age 5, I'd probably go with the booster outboard because the vest is not particularly simple to use day in and day out.

Tara

Yeaaaaah, leaning to Rebekah's answer here...depends on the age of the child.
I think I'd just go with the ease of the booster, outboard.

RubysGirl

Okay, I was just wondering. When my son outgrows his marathon, assuming he's atleast four or five, I'm thinking I'm going to go straight to a booster. That is if I'm still drivng the same car or one of similar size and assuming they don't have any nice, narrow seats by then. LOL.

I actually like the idea of a booster with lockoffs. I can see where they would compare in safety to a fivepoint harness. (I'm thinking of the tethered recaro with the belt locked snug.)

I guess the only way I'd do the vest is if I had to put three across, and was really limited on space.

At what age do you think the vest is appropriate for most kids, assuming they're too big to rearface?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Like any seat really - the vest is only good if it fits, is always used properly & kiddo is reasonably comfy.... The center is generally safer if it can be utilized correctly. If all these factors fit, then the vest would be safer since it can be used in the center (also easier for transferring/transporting) - but it's definitely NOT easier for other adults to use correctly :rolleyes:

I have felt fine letting Leila use a Parkway, Bodyguard, Starriser Comfy, Turbo, Cubb & EZOn KidY with RydeRite for about a year now in my parents' vehicles (due to their severe arthritis + nerve damage [luckilly, their symptoms recently improved with great new meds!])
  • She had proven to me her understanding of the importance to sit properly after watching the GM booster video
  • She had proven to me her ability to stay properly seated after practicing in the living room for progressively longer times (while brushing hair, while snacking, while playing with dolls/crafts, during stories, etc.)
  • She had proven to me her ability to use it properly by teaching her grandparents how to do so (with my supervision)
I trust her in my absence & my dad is a past president of the American Academy of Orthotics & Prosthetics (he's the 1 person in my family who supports my CPS efforts [& has done an excellent job helping persuade/educate my mother, too]) so I trust their passion ~ their passion + Leila's abilities = GOOD ENOUGH MATURITY since she meets the manufacturer's physical weight/height requires :D But, most of the time we're able to use the center seat since they have lap/shoulder belts there. (In my vehicle she has always used a harness as her primary seat [correctly used booster is safer than incorrectly used harness or vest])

If the vehicle has Automatic Locking Retractor belts then I feel fine using a booster outboard, though: to help keep kiddo properly positioned -- if there's no ALR (check the vehicle manual) then I do prefer the Recaro Young Start with built in shoulder belt lock offs! Even so, if that cannot be afforded & the center lap belt cannot be used then any booster that has deep head wings with EPS foam is preferable :)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC