Is it worth a try

zeo2ski

...to see if this child can use the My Ride? Here's a pic of him in it uh, I don't know, a week after they came out on walmart.com. 2" left but there was 3/4" of foam sticking up above the shell, so I subtracted that and concluded he has 1/4" left to grow so I didn't keep it. BUT that was before he weighed 35 lbs. So now I'm a little more desperate and the boy fit in a scenera on the shelf (45*) and wasn't over the top, maybe even had an inch or two I don't know he wouldn't sit long enough to tell, but definitely not over the top. I swear his seated height changes from week to week; shrinking and growing. So I want to give the MR another shot but my options are:
-pay shipping and/or return shipping
-do site to store and wait 2 weeks for it
-drive an hour+ (in city/highway traffic with him FFing) to BRU and get the ugly cover
I'd do any one of those if I knew he'd fit, but I'll feel stupid if he doesn't.
myrideheight.jpg

What would you do? I'm not wanting to wait til August for the Air.

ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'd flip him forward :cool:

My kids both *had* to forward face before age 3 (one at 31 months, one at 34 months) because they outgrew what was available at the time.

I would *not* buy a MyRide for potentially 2 months of use - I just wouldn't. I would flip him forward, drive as little as possible, and preorder an Air Protect though.

zeo2ski

. I would flip him forward, drive as little as possible, and preorder an Air Protect though.

This is what I planned to do but DH makes a good point that it's like a time bomb, you never know when you'll get in an accident, so those 2 months could be more important than say the 12 months after than, you know?

He is forward now (35 lbs) and has been for a week.

libranbutterfly

Walmart has 97 cent shipping right now to your home on graco car seats. Dont know how long it would take to get to you, though.

frugalmom

I am dealing with the same thing actually. I can't wait until August dd is 34lbs.
I really don't know what to do. Do you think it is worth it to get a My ride or Air Protect for 6 lbs?

I think I will mostly likely get a My Ride and then an Air Proect. Crazy, but oh well.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
How old is the child in question, frugalmom? Unless she's very young, it doesn't seem, well, frugal to buy those two seats.

zeo2ski

Walmart has 97 cent shipping right now to your home on graco car seats. Dont know how long it would take to get to you, though.
Oooo I forgot about that, I actually saw it the other day when I was looking for different SR32 covers...
That is one cute kid!! :p
Thanks! I'm partial to him. He got a haircut though and is a new child entirely. I'm ignoring the rest of your comment though, hehe, even though I know in my head you and Gypsy are totally right...but, but, but, my baby!:crying:
I am dealing with the same thing actually. I can't wait until August dd is 34lbs.
I really don't know what to do. Do you think it is worth it to get a My ride or Air Protect for 6 lbs?

I think I will mostly likely get a My Ride and then an Air Proect. Crazy, but oh well.
Yeah...I might be crazy too. How old is your DD? For 6 lbs and plenty of height room it'd be totally worth it to me. But at a certain age, the cost of another seat weighs more heavily in the decision.

frugalmom

Yeah...I might be crazy too. How old is your DD? For 6 lbs and plenty of height room it'd be totally worth it to me. But at a certain age, the cost of another seat weighs more heavily in the decision.

Well atleast I am not the only one. I know I am crazy. I know I am addicted to carseats. Oh well. I guess that is the first step.

My dd is 3 years 3 months.
I really think 6 lbs could get her to 4 years.

Yeah I know the costs of buying seats is kind of crazy. That and I just bought her an Adovcate last week. Ughh.

zeo2ski

. That and I just bought her an Adovcate last week. Ughh.

:ROTFLMAO: uh yeah, change your screen name! I'd totally return the Advocate to get the other seat(s) though.

And since I happen to have a gift card in the exact amount of a MR65+ tax I checked out walmart.com and it's gone:eek: The MR that is, not walmart.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Honestly, 1/4th inch (a month ago!)? COME ON!

If he had an inch, I'd say go for it, heck even a little less than an inch, but he may have already outgrown the MR rear facing. I just can't see spending $150ish for a seat that could last anywhere from *not at all* to maybe 2 months? I'm addicted to carseats too, but even I wouldn't do that - JMO! BTW my ds is 38.5 pounds and has just about as much grow room as your ds in that picture, and sure, I was tempted to do it, but ultimately I chose not to - now if a tall shelled seat comes out with a 45 or 50 (or more!) RFing limit, I'd grab one of those, but for what might possibly be just a couple months? nope.

emandbri

It is so hard to tell in the picture how much room he has. Also was the picture taken while in the car? Was it in rear-facing mode? Did he have time to "settle." When I tried elizabeth in the seat in the store I didn't think she would fit long at all and the same thing happens she she first gets in the seat but after getting settled she has more room.

zeo2ski

Honestly, 1/4th inch (a month ago!)? COME ON!

BTW my ds is 38.5 pounds and has just about as much grow room as your ds in that picture, and sure, I was tempted to do it, but ultimately I chose not to -
I know, I know, that's exactly what I said about it in the first place, but that was before he was actually 35 lbs.
The only difference is age; if my DS was 4 I wouldn't be thinking like this at all, but he's 2.

Here's my logic on the cost: First, I could almost get 2 MRs for the cost of one Air which may or may not be tall enough, we don't even know. Second, I do need to have versatile seats on hand for foster babies.
It is so hard to tell in the picture how much room he has. Also was the picture taken while in the car? Was it in rear-facing mode? Did he have time to "settle." When I tried elizabeth in the seat in the store I didn't think she would fit long at all and the same thing happens she she first gets in the seat but after getting settled she has more room.
Yes, it was in the car in rear-facing mode as upright as I could get it. And the settling is what I'm thinking about too--I tried him in it several times and he did have more room when settled but those pics are from the last time I put him in it to make the final decision on whether or not to keep it, and he hadn't settled.

It's gone :eek: Like out of stock or gone gone?
I couldn't get it to show up at all by going through the walmart site, but when I googled it the link pops up and it says out of stock online.

emandbri

Do you know anyone who could use a my ride that you could sell it to? That is what I did with my second radian, I really needed another seat but only for a few months.

twinsmom

I would do it. You can always sell the MyRide later. Maybe once installed he will have a little more room.

Edited to add: Besides the safety, it seems like you will drive yourself crazy with 'what if', wondering if the MR65 will fit him, if you should get it, etc. If you get it, at least your mind will be at rest, one way or another. If he doesn't fit - you have no options but to wait for the Air seat. If he does, it sounds like it will make you happier to have it until the other comes out.:):twocents:

Last edited:

zeo2ski

Yup you're right on.

Well today we had to drive to the docs, 45 mins each way and he cried the entire trip that he "didn't wanted to be ford facing!". So I weighed him at the doc and without boots he was 34.4 so I flipped him RF for the ride home. Now here's the kicker--it was his BLVD in the car, the RN was home. I put him in and he definitely had over an inch of shell! He slept on the way home so I wanted to take pics and measure but it was raining so I just used my hand to do an estimate and it's 2+ inches left in the BLVD. I can't even understand how--does buckling them make a big difference? I know the last time I tried checking his height in the BLVD I didn't buckle him and it was definitely outgrown. Anyway, I'm going to order a MR. I thought about driving to BRU to try it first, but the cost of gas won't be much less than shipping plus I don't want to drive on the highways, so I'll just risk the possibility of having to return it.

Thanks for all your advice and opinions. I really appreciate all the input I get from these boards--even if it's just to confirm that I'm looney. :p

On a side note I looooove my peds clinic--they have the RF to 2 article posted in every room and the room I was in today had another article with it that mentioned Sweden RFing til 4, etc.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC