When did Safety 1st last make the Uptown?

Holly

I have checked at Biglots a few times in the last year or so for an uptown because people here have said they found them there. I never did see one there ever, and I checked 2 different stores.

Anyway, today I got a Biglots ad in the mail and the Uptown is in it for $65! I'm planning to get a RA50 for the baby in August, but this sounds like it might be a great spare seat, and my girls would probably fit in it too since they still fit in the scenera. How old could the seats probably be if they haven't made it for a while? Do I need to have 2 spares (already have a scenera)?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Mar. 08 I believe is the date on the last ones, the ones that were sent to BL.

They have an 8 year expiration so they would still have 7 years-ish left.

Holly

Wow! Do I need another spare seat? I want one, but don't really need it (unless I got that instead of the RA50, but I'm already set on that!).
I just found out, it's online too, I wonder if a lot of Biglots will have them right now? I searched your city KQ, just curious to see if it says they are in the biglots near you. I'm not sure which store is closest to you, but it looks like some there have some too.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The closest one to us is in La Canada, the second closest is in Pasadena. I think there's one in... North Hollywood? NOt sure. Did they get more in? Last time I was there they had just sold out the last one from last year.

And don't go asking me if you need another seat, you're likely to get biased advice. I have like 13, remember?

Holly

I think they have them, not sure though. I clicked on the uptown, then "where to buy" and it said look for a store with these color icons in the store locator, and had orange, yellow, and purple icons. When I searched, the one in La Canada has a yellow icon on the map. I'm not sure if that means they have them, or just are a store that carried them before but may not have them.
I was trying to see if one close to you had it, I was thinking of getting one for K, but I don't think I can. THats ok though, she's got the Scenera and little K is RFing, so it doesn't matter in what seat.

niccig

The closest one to us is in La Canada, the second closest is in Pasadena. I think there's one in... North Hollywood? NOt sure. Did they get more in? Last time I was there they had just sold out the last one from last year.

And don't go asking me if you need another seat, you're likely to get biased advice. I have like 13, remember?

La Canada - now we must be neighbours as I'm about 10 mins from that store.

It's 5 mins from DS's preschool if you need me to check if they have them or not...easy for me to stop in and look.

TheQueenMother

I looked in my big lots today, when I checked online last night, I got the colored exclamation marks but our big lots had no uptowns. I really need a seat for my nephew before Friday and hoped to find one.
Amanda

niccig

That would be nice of you, it's a 20 min. drive from me. (I'm in Tujunga.)

I'm in Glendale, but on the border with La Canada/La Crescenta.

I went in yesterday and I didn't see an Uptown. They had a few Cosco and Safety First 3 in 1 seats but not an Uptown. I have one, so I know what to look for. I need to go back to look for toys for a birthday party, and I'll have more time to look around then. I'll PM you if I see one - I'm in that store maybe once every 2 weeks.

momofmandp

I'm going to post this in hopes that other people don't go on wild goose chases like I just did today...

I'm going to guess that most Big Lots will not have Uptowns even though it's advertised in their ad. I called two Big Lots before going and asked if they had the car seat that's shown in the ad in stock. Both said yes. So, today I went to check and neither had them. They had the 3-in-1's. I was feeling quite perturbed because I made a special trip to get the seat that I was told was in stock. I guess that's my own fault for not being even more specific. I guess I should have asked if the seats looked exactly like the one in the pic. I know that the people that work there aren't necessarily very knowledgeable about car seats, so they probably didn't even realize they were different, but I'm still kind of irked that I drove all around for nothing. I do think though that it's wrong to show a picture advertising one seat when it's actually a different seat they're trying to sell. :mad:

tixiepoo

Yep. The Big Lots here in Jacksonville FL does not have them either. They have the 3-in-1. I had been looking for the Uptown for a while and finally gave up until I saw the ad. If you notice in the ad, they don't specifically say that it is for the Uptown. Maybe they just recycled the picture? Either way, it was bad business practice for them. Anyway, I was told that the $65 is the price for the 3-in-1's and there are no others available.

I did see one Apex there though and a couple Comfort Sports.

Maybe someone else will have better luck.

BW1426

For $65 I'd personally just get a new Avenue on sale. Then again, if it's more convenient to get the Uptown, it's not like you're going to utilize the 8 (or is it 7) years of life.

Holly

I checked my store today and they don't have it either. GRR, false advertising! Not that I could have bought one anyway, I'd like one as a spare, or for my friend's baby, but I just can't afford extras right now.

InternationalMama

Is there a reason not to just buy the Safety 1st Avenue (same seat) at Overstock.com for $70.99 w/ $2 shipping? It'll have a better DOM than the Uptown and you save on the gas mileage to Big Lots.:twocents:

Holly

I don't know, I just liked the looks of the uptowns more, I liked the blue checked cover too. I also haven't seen an avenue in person either, so that could be why.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The cover isn't checked, actually, it has kind of a swirly cover. But I've seen Avenues and they're nice but the cover on the Uptown is plusher and kooshier. I like the patterns on the Avenues though. I like the Sears boy one best. (I've never seen the one on Overstock. I think it's kinda ugly.)

InternationalMama

I like the Sears boy one best too! (I actually think the Uptown cover is kind of ugly, but I've never seen it (or any of them) in person.) I had someone check our local Sears and the DOMs on the boy Avenues were already 8 months out. I know it's not that big of a deal with an 8 year expiry, but I'd like a 10% discount if the seat is 10% of the way to expiration.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC