Parkway SG not for girls?

christineka

In my wild dreams I thought about buying the new parkway for my oldest dd. She has a turbo with no padding. I think she'd like padding since she'll sit in either vivo when not occupied. I think the parkway would be good for 3 across with its small sized arm rests.

I read the review and noted that the sg is not optional. We are a church going family. The girls wear dresses and they tend to have long skirts. I went car seat browsing with my 7 year old a few months ago. She wore a dress and would not allow the crotch buckles to be buckled. I can understand. I wouldn't want to buckle my crotch while wearing a skirt either. My little girl is already a pain to buckle on Sundays. (I confess to wishing she could just ride in a booster for the short ride to/from church.)

Some of you have older girls in harnesses. How does that work with long skirts? Do girls have issues with the crotch strap? Would this only be good for a girl who has been in a 5 point recently? (Oldest Dd has been in a booster for 4.5 years now.)

ADS

Mama!

DD rolls or I fold her skirt up and lay it so that its under the strap. You can't see anything . When she stands up it just unfolds.

myliljunebugs

I just tuck the skirt in around her legs and then buckle. All vital parts are covered ;) and DD never complains. Question though, on Sundays would it be possible to just not buckle the strap between her legs on the booster? Just a thought.

ETA nevermind, I just read that you said it's not optional. But yes, she should be able to tuck her skirt around with no problem :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Slide Guard is mandatory on that seat. Period (to quote carseatblog, lol). So no, you can't just skip it if you want to :(

vonfirmath

It doesn't seem it would be a problem unless the skirt were really straight. The skirts I wear have plenty of extra fabric in them to enable a crotch strap to be fastened.

It would be like turning the skirt into a "skort" for the ride. Divide in the middle, flares out at bottom.

AtTheSouthDam

I understand your problem. I roll and tuck DD1's dress when I buckle her. She loves to wear dresses and I will admit to using her booster on some of the more frilly ones. Especially the cotton ones the grandma's make her. The wrinkle something terrible in her harness. Not a big deal for a play day but if we are going some where nice it bothers me.
I thought the SG wasn't for girls just based on the very, very mundane patterns. Those are a huge tunr off. Black and gray, black and brown, or black and tan, YUCK!

Mommy0608

If the issue is modesty, what about wearing shorts or leggings under the dress? They can always be removed later if they are uncomfortable.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper just wore a long skirt this morning. She tucks it up between her legs and buckles herself into her harness. She'll be seven in a few weeks. It doesn't bother her in the least.

You could always put leggings or shorts on under the skirt, just in case she does need to pull it up high and you're worried about things being uncovered.

Wendy

lynsgirl

My dd wears long(er) dresses or skirts very often. She usually just folds the sides over her legs and covers between her legs. No problems with buckling, other than sometimes a bulkier/more material type outfit can be more cumbersome, but not usually much more of a problem. She is in a Regent (10.5) and doesn't mind.

Momof4Girls

My girls wear bike shorts under all their dresses/skirts (we wear nearly exclusively dresses/skirts, to the knee).

Not had a problem with crotch buckles at all. Sometimes you see their "bloomers" sticking out of the bottom, the way their skirt pulls up, but usually, not.

My girls run, jump, play, swing, play on monkey bars, and flip around in their skirts/dresses, and no biggie. They even buckle themselves into their Regents, and I have never seen anything inappropriate showing :)

Raechel

christineka

Has anyone had any experience re-harnessing/crotch buckling a girl that has used a seatbelt w/booster for several years? I'd go for the parkway if they'd come out with a cute, older girly cover.

skaterbabs

Honestly, there have only been two or three dresses that we had issues with in the car, and they were all special occasion items that were typically put on when we arrived at the destination anyway. Joy wears dresses all the time; I just tuck her skirts under and around the buckle of her Regent.

My younger niece often rides with me and has no issues being harnessed. She's 9 and from toddlerhood often rides without a seat at all with her mother and father.

Maedze

When Bean the Second wears dresses, I just 'skort' them in her seat. Not a problem. I imagine it's true for the PW/SG too. She's seven...she should be able to buckle herself in and adjust the crotch strap without assistance.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
DD was wearing a skirt when she tried out the seat, admittedly, it was a short summer skirt, but there were no issues..i agree with everyone else, just flare the skirt out like pants along the legs and buckle.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I will admit that my daughter hates crotch straps with dresses, but I kept her harnessed until I thought she was able to use a booster safely. I am not especially interested in the Parkway 120 (don't need to do 3-across and not terribly concerned about submarining at 50#), but if I thought she needed a seat with a crotch buckle it would just be non-negotiable.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Really? Is it mandatory in backless mode as well? Seems silly to me that they made it that way.

Yep, it's mandatory at all times. I agree that perhaps it should be optional in some situations (certain height, certain weight, whatever - let Britax do the testing to figure that out :p) and in fact gave Darren that exact feedback after seeing the seat in person last week. Love the seat, though, and if I needed a new booster it would be just about tops on my list. (Four boosters should do us for now, though. :rolleyes:)

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I find long dresses to be a pain with a 5 pt harness. My dd is fine with it, just rolls them up but that doesn't stop it from being a pain. Dress ends up totally wrinkled if you are in the car for more than 2 minutes.

We don't need the new PW but would likely stay away from it for that reason. If she were tiny I'd consider it. Luckily we have a parkway already.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC