Three Across in Toyota Corolla or Honda Accord

HeatherB

Hi! We're going to need to move our 3 boys into a smaller car for Grandma to drive while we're out of town for a few days (she's very short and not a super-confident driver, so having her use our Odyssey is the last resort). It's over 100° here, so trying these scenarios out with no idea if they'll work doesn't appeal! I'm hoping someone will have insight on what's best to try so I don't have to do it too many times. :)

Grandma's car is a Toyota Corolla, about a 2002 or 2003, I think. My DH's vehicle is a 2001 Honda Accord, which would be a second choice if we just can't fit three across in Grandma's. car.

The 7yo rides in a Monterey and the 4yo rides in a SafeGuard Go in either of those vehicles. We also have a 21mo, who basically doesn't ride in those vehicles because we don't have an extra seat for him. He's in a RA in our van (RFing, of course). Additionally, we have a Regent and Marathon in daily use in the van, and an extra Go that the 7yo outgrew harnessed.

So, it seems the easiest/cheapest solution would be to put the RA in with the Monterey and Go, if there's a good way to puzzle them into either car. Alternately, I'd be open to investing in a new seat for the littlest one to use in Grandma's car long-term. I've looked at the Coccoro and also the MyRide (obviously useable for longer) as possible options, each with its downside. I know there are new seats that I probably haven't looked at, and perhaps some oldies-but-goodies that would be good options, too.

Any thoughts or experience on what might work?

Thanks!
HeatherB

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That's gonna be really tough in a Corolla. I don't know about the Accord but I don't imagine it's much better. The seatbelt install with a GO can be a royal pain, might even be incompatible in the Corolla because of the way the seats are shaped. (I haven't tried it... I can, if you want me to, I have an 03 Corolla and a GO.) But I think you'd have a much easier time putting it in with LATCH. However, then it takes up more space, and you need all the space you can get. It'll have to be outboard anyway if your son is tall enough to need the headrest for support...

The Monterey is not particularly narrow.

I could see a rear-facing seat maybe puzzling with the GO because of lack of side. And maybe even the Monterey, depending on the way they hit, I don't know... The RA might even be a good choice because it sits up on that base. Who knows. You might have to take the back off the Monterey. But even if you could puzzle them that way to maximize fit, I just don't know without trying them if that would work in a Corolla. But you can try. You can always try. :)

It might be good to have a backup plan, though.

Have you considered a Ride Safer Travel Vest for the 4 year old (or 7 year old?) It's not great for everyday use, but would work for a temporary/occasional use solution, and can sometimes make an otherwise impossible 3-across work. (That's one my oldest daughter is wearing in the middle in the pic in my siggy; that's a little tiny Sentra backseat.)

HeatherB

Hm, I hadn't considered the travel vest. In fact, I haven't looked into them much as far as how they work. Is it something I could install and then Grandma could hook him into each time, or must it be reinstalled every time it's used?

The Go *can* work with a seatbelt install in the Corolla - we've had to do it when using an infant seat for 3-across, though it was tricky. But, without two Gos as the main seats, I'm not sure I can squeeze a third one across, even up high like the RA. Hrm. Those are pretty narrow seats and the Companion JUST worked. I can't say I liked installing all of that. :p

I can't remember now *why* I chose the Monterey over other seats, but apparently it wasn't for its width! I'm thinking we may have to go with the Accord (which really is a good bit wider than the Corolla) just to get three in. The good thing with that is it's DH's car so I have better access to it to play with it. :thumbsup:

autumnlily

There is the SK Radian as an option for a new seat...

The Coccoro (CCO) would still fit your 21mo RF if he can still RF in the RA. My kids have quite a bit more growing room in the CCO over the RA. (babycatalog.com has the CCO for $169, and if you order through eBates you get 3% cashback and the 10%off code making the seat just under $150 w/free shipping).

I haven't tried a rider vest yet - but that sounds like another great option for a three across.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you use the top tether you can leave the vest semi-installed, but it does have to be done up every time. It's not really that hard, though, it just takes a little bit more time than a harness. But if grandma has normal finger dexterity (no arthritis or anything) it would be pretty easy for her to learn to use. :) It can get kind of hot in Summer but it's cheaper than the GO or even the Coccorro. In fact it's cheaper than pretty much anything but a Titan, Scenera, or Avenue, which might make it your most cost-effective solution. (I'm sure I missed an under-$100 seat in there, but not sure what...)

lovinwaves

Is there any reason for Grandma to just not drive the Odyssey while she has the kiddos? I know you mentioned she is short and not the most confident driver, so are you afraid she will hurt the Ody or something? LOL

I'm thinking that would save you alot of grief, and stress to just keep them in the Ody. I think it would be easier for Grandma as well to buckle the kids in rather than in her Corolla.

Keeping the kids in their original seats in the Odyssey might keep the sanity and quietness for Grandma to focus on driving as well. Not to mention, the kids being in a 3-across situation, which they aren't used too.

Maybe let Grandma do a test drive? The Odyssey, while it is a large vehicle, is quite easy to drive. It's just hard to parallel park, and see your backing up distance :p

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That's a good point. When we weren't able to get 3 in my mom's car (before we bought the RSTV to do so) we would trade with her. A bit more hassle but it worked.

HeatherB

A test drive is a great idea. The seat adjustability might help her get a better fit than in most cars.

It's HER preference not to drive it, more than ours. So if we can get around that, it'll definitely be easier. And, thankfully, there's no need to parallel park around here! LOL

She does have trouble reaching the big boys in the 3rd row to buckle them, though. I just about climb over the seats to do that but she's not even 5' tall and less than agile, so it's tougher for her. Probably not impossible, so in the end it may even out.

Thanks for the ideas!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC